Tdi jetta 4 ever
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, Isuzu2.5DKBLe
Membership No: missing

Citi Golf Gearbox Push Rod Problems

Post by Tdi jetta 4 ever »

Hi guys. I have a VW Golf Sonic with a 2E engine. I am experiencing problems with the gearbox where the oil is leaking between the spigot shaft and push rod on the clutch assembly. It caused the clutch to slip and totally destroyed the clutch. I did changed the clutch plate last year and also changed the small little brass bush and seal between the push rod and spigot shaft. Now that i took the gearbox out again i discovered that the seal fell out and there is a lot of sideways play between the push rod and spigot shaft. What would cause the premature wear of that brass bush ? Any ideas or something i can check ?
Thanks in advance.
Robin
Current rides: 02' Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, 99' Isuzu KB 250 Dle(Faithfull aka slowmo) Mercedes Benz ML 270Cdi
Ex rides: 82' jetta 1.5 Gls(sold), 88' jetta Clx(sold with tears in my eyes)

Rather buy a good quality part that will last then buying a cheap part that won't last.

VCDS user with HEX-USB+CAN cable(Rosstech)

robinwisse@gmail.com
Tdi jetta 4 ever
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Citi Golf Gearbox Push Rod Problems

Any suggestions ?
Robin
Current rides: 02' Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, 99' Isuzu KB 250 Dle(Faithfull aka slowmo) Mercedes Benz ML 270Cdi

Rather buy a good quality part that will last then buying a cheap part that won't last.

robinwisse@gmail.com
missioner
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 10 years 5 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Did you replace the release bearing inside the box when you did the other work?

When doing a clutch it's important to inspect and replace all the related components on an 020 gearbox. They really don't forgive cutting corners.

This time also inspect the plate the pushrod presses against. If the mark is misaligned it will need to be replaced. Try to get one with the "bearing" in it. Next up there are two methods to replace the release bearing, I prefer to unbolt the 5th gear cover. The bearing slides out, drop the new one in add sealer and put back the 6 bolts. The other method involves removing the green cap on the end, which damages the cap causing oil leaks. It also requires the clutch lever assembly to be dismantled to extract the bearing. It's fiddly and has many opportunities to make mistakes and create a new problem. The only time I recommend this is if there is a problem with the clutch lever mechanism.

So now you have serviced the release bearing and replaced the bushing, the tikkie seal and the pushrod. It's not always necessary but before installing the box, inspect the oil. I lost 2 boxes due to water ingress. Both had pinion bearing failure as a result of the water in the oil.

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Tdi jetta 4 ever
Lieutenant-Colonel

Thanks for your reply Missioner. No last time i didn't replaced the release bearing. To my shock i compared the OD sizes of the old and new one and found that the old one was 32.5mm while the new one is 33mm so that also played a role. Yes the other problem was the plate where the push rod press against was mis aligned. This time i replaced everything. The whole clutch kit with a new Repco LUK one and new brass bush new push rod and also all oil seals including the crank seal. I also found out that the gearbox is a DGT code and to my knowledge its from a Jetta MK2.
Robin

robinwisse@gmail.com
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 4 months
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

I double up on those lousy small seals.
If one fails the other seals

Seems to work without any hassles

Sent from my CPH2371 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Tdi jetta 4 ever
Lieutenant-Colonel

It exactly what i did. Somebody told me to do that so i did. 😀
Robin

robinwisse@gmail.com