Leaking rear main seal question

HendrikCTI
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Leaking rear main seal question

Post by HendrikCTI »

Good day. Got new clutch kit installed. Used genuine crank seal to replace old one while flywheel was off. Drove 900km and now there is a leak between engine and bellhousing. Just a drip hanging. I believe it is my new crank seal which wasnt cheap. Due to medical expenses on the horizon (daughter going for braces and medical aid covering only a small percentage) I am not keen paying to get it replaced again possibly leaking again after a short while. Can i drive the car as is and just monitor oil level frequently?
My cars: 2004 Nissan Almera 1.6
1977 Datsun 1200GX
(100% FULLY restored, 13" mags fitted)
Wife's car: 2019 Suzuki Ciaz
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: Leaking rear main seal question

Post by Ashveer03 »

What car is it? Why did u buy an OEM seal?
Elring and victor reinz are used by VW, if u buy that brand from goldwagen or a parts store u get a much newer part rather than buying from VW which has been stored in their warehouse for a long time.
I have no idea if seals have a shelf life but I would rather have a part that's manufactured recently.

It should be ok unless the oil gets onto the new clutch then u also gonna be looking at replacing the clutch again.

Iv seen alot of rear main seal leaks and the only vw that I have actually seen oil reach the clutch plate is a golf 1 - unfortunately for these cars even the gear oil gets into the clutch. Lol

Sent from my CPH2371 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
HendrikCTI
Cadet

Post by HendrikCTI »

Nissan Almera. Didnt want to go aftermarket as I heard horror stories. Well, the OEM one did exactly the same horror now and it cost me R680. So I dont know what to believe anymore. Was at Margate Nissan and they were friendly enough to check how serious it is. We put it onto lift. Mechanic said it is OK. Must just monitor leak and oil level. I dont suspect the mechanic's work who did the work as he said that a main seal is something to be installed carefully. So i believe he did it right. Will drive it like this and monitor.
1977 Datsun 1200GX
kingr
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Car Make: VW, Mini, Slowyota
Car Model: Mk1 2 Door, Hilux D/C
Membership No: 3337

Post by kingr »

Who did the work? If it's a workshop, then take it back to them. That seal must installed with the guide that comes with the seal.
Kurt #3337

Current:
- 10" Mx5 NC2 (main daily)
- 12" Toyota Hilux D/C 2.5tdi 4x4 (tow car / vacay)
- 2020 Mini Cooper S Clubman (swambo)
- 80" VW Mk1 2 Door Golf 8vt project 192wkw/314nm, 13,3s@173kph Kby Drags

Ex: 07" G5 GTi, 13" ST180, 03" Mk4 2 door 1.8T Stage 2, 07" Velo 1.6, 83" Mk1 GT 2.0 8v MP9, 87" Mk1 1.6 CitiSport, 88" Mk2 2.0 16v, 83" Mk1 GT 1.6 + 40 webers
HendrikCTI
Cadet

Post by HendrikCTI »

There was no guide. Just the seal in a box. I am going to discuss it with the workshop/mechanic when I am back in BFN.
1977 Datsun 1200GX
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

OE teflon seals don't come with the guide for fitment, special tools required to fit.

Again with a teflon seal, engine not suppose to start for atleast 4hrs after fitment.

Sent from my CPH2371 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Workshop should cover their work (which is defective) Seal might be fine and fitment an issue. Of course they told you it's fine to get you to back off. They can GF.A! and fix.....
HendrikCTI
Cadet

Post by HendrikCTI »

I am from BFN and in Margate for school sport event. Visited Nissan Margate as they are across the street from where we stay to get an opinion on seriousnous as I still need to drive back to BFN.

Apologies for posting on VW forum but the Nissan forum is dead with support.

Dont think it is a teflon seal. I removed it from the box after purchase to see how it looks and it was a one piece dark toffie colour.
1977 Datsun 1200GX
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

You should be good to make the trip home. I'd make sure I have topup oil and check as suggested. Get back to shop that fixed it and get them to fix. I'd phone them now as well, to let them know you had to go to a Nissan dealership to check on the oil leak from RMS as fitted.