1.6 carb to 2l 8v efi conversion

StanDaMan
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 months

1.6 carb to 2l 8v efi conversion

Post by StanDaMan »

Hi guys
Need some guidance please

Going to buy a 2l 8v motor and swap it into my caddy bakkie.

The motor is from a cli jetta and comes with the standard management system.

I just want to know what i will need to complete the swap.

Fuel pump
Wiring

Is that it?

And then what would i be able to sell the 1.6 carb motor for? Nothing wrong with it
Klaus-T
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2005 1.4 CiTi

Re: 1.6 carb to 2l 8v efi conversion

Post by Klaus-T »

Hi

i have not done this swap before but i know a little bit about it.

Other than what you have, you will need a FI fuel tank (there are other ways to get around this) , fuel lines, ecu, wiring - could consider a short loom?,
engine, i think driveshafts, gearbox is all a straight fit.

If it's within budget i would recommend rebuilding the 2L then you know you have peace of mind for many kms, if not at least replace seals on the motor that you have access to.

Best of luck!
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: 1.6 carb to 2l 8v efi conversion

Post by missioner »

Sorry Klaus

List as follows:

EFI wiring loom for the engine
ECU with immo delete
Engine
Clutch 9 bolt (stock has 6 bolt that will last 10 minutes)
Fuel system components that are not already on the engine, fuel filter, odds and ends etc, there are always little details that you find later.
Air intake system (mk3 parts can work with some modifications)
Fuel tank and pump from an EFI equipped Citi (velo, CTi, etc)
Fuel lines (the stock 6mm feed line is small. Replace the return line with an 8mm one and use the old feed line for a return)
Exhaust. The old motor is a short block, new is long block, OEM exhaust now sits hard against the steering rack and gear linkages. 20mm difference in block height.

Finally if you are taking on this project in your free time, you are going to need about a year to get it done, especially if you are not a professional mechanic and/or have not done this swap before. It will take 4 weeks to get the motor in and then the rest of the time will be the battle to get the kinks unwrinkled and neatening it all up afterwards

If you have a donor car to provide most of the parts it will simplify your life significantly. Only the chassis specific parts will be required to reach the start up point.

Sent from my 2107113SG using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+