Reliability of the VW Caddy bakkie and the Polo Classic sedan 1.6i.

Fiftee
Enlisted

Reliability of the VW Caddy bakkie and the Polo Classic sedan 1.6i.

Post by Fiftee » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:22 pm

Can I just say , straight of the bat, I don't have a car nevermind a VW , I'm still a student but I have this love for older model VWs that I plan on my first car being either a Citi, Mk2 ,Mk3 ,Mk 4(including the corresponding Jettas) , or the Polo Classic or the Polo 5. I just figured it wouldn't hurt to get informed about the known issues about the cars now rather than later.

Anyway my question is that I don't see a lot of VW Caddies on the road, could it be that they are unreliable or only a few units were ever made then the model was canned?

My second question is about the Polo Classic. I think this car looks beautiful once dropped slightly in front with eagle rims and neon lights :drool: but I once read on one of the older threads that the car uses up a lot of fuel and has fuel gauge issues.I think reliability wise the engine should be reliable because I read that the car uses the same 1.6i unit in the Citi Golf Life but you guys would know better so please set me straight .
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Re: Reliability of the VW Caddy bakkie and the Polo Classic sedan 1.6i.

Post by panic-mechanic » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:15 pm

almost any car is as reliable as you are good at maintaining it.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Ram013
Cadet
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Allspace 2.0 TSI Highline

Re: Reliability of the VW Caddy bakkie and the Polo Classic sedan 1.6i.

Post by Ram013 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:11 am

+1 on the maintenance bit

I had a 2002 Polo Classic 1.6i, which I kept until 2009. Early on, the starter motor failed, other than that no issues. Not even a clutch replacement. Ah, the simplicity of n/a cars.

Just be warned, get good quality lowering springs or a coilover. I skimped and got some cheap springs - 3 months later, I switched back to stock.