1996 polo playa 1.6i

Golfie.NC
Enlisted
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi R-line 1.8i, VR6 Executiv

1996 polo playa 1.6i

Post by Golfie.NC » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:09 pm

Good day ladies & gents. Hope everyone is well. Im in desperate need of any advice regarding a weird problem im facing on a polo playa 1.6i afx engine. The car starts fine and drive until it reach temperature where the fan eventually kicks in but then the car loose power and when you give more acceleration it makes a sound in the throttle body and sounds like its starving for petrol then it just cuts out after few minutes and dies. When you try to start it again, the engine just swing and wont start untill it has completely cooled down.

The following parts where replaced already:
New coil,
New distributor complete,
New coolent sensor,
New thermostat 82deg.
New petrol pump,
Injectors & fuel rail coming off a running car...

Did a diagnostic and it doesnt pick up anything and there isnt permanent faults, ive even tested it with a open ecu and replaced ignition switch last night aswell. Antifreeze was replaced aswell with g12 antifreeze when thermostat was fitted. All fuses is okay, i dont have a service manual to see what relay feeds what but I've tried almost anything and was thinking of removing the head tomorrow for inspection & tests.

Any help or suggestions will be highly appreciated
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Re: 1996 polo playa 1.6i

Post by panic-mechanic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:48 pm

so at the point that it doesn't start is there feul pressure?. Is there spark. Have you tested for an injector signal ? is there compression?
You can't just change stuff without knowing what there is and what there isn't . IE basic diagnostics not talking about plugging a computer in - just basic fault finding for the things that makes an engine run. Ie. spark, fuel, pressure.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'07 Audi S6 V10 - beast !!!!!
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Audi Q5 3l tdi
'95 Audi 90 coupe quattro
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Golfie.NC
Enlisted

Post by Golfie.NC » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:02 am

The car starts fine and will drive for +- 50kms , the fan kicks in and would run like 4 times during that time and the temperature sits at half. I haven't tested for spark, fuel pressure during the time it starts loosing power and eventually dies. A friend was helping me out the whole time since I was in training for a month because i couldn't attend to the car. The coil had a cracked thats why i changed it and petrol pump had a problem with its flout thats why i decided to change the complete unit. Im not so good with the mechanical stuff and my thoughts waa the coolent temp unit or ecu and thats why i tested that aswell with a open ecu and a new coolent temp sensor. I'll start the car this afternoon and test for all those things when it starts doing the same and will report back. Thanks Panic
Golfie.NC
Enlisted

Post by Golfie.NC » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Good day panic-mechanic, ive tested the car when it starts giving the problem after it dies and just cranks there is still spark and fuel. Only need to test for compression once i get a compression tester
Fidgeter
Enlisted

Post by Fidgeter » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:43 am

If there is spark and fuel the car would start... Did you try maybe kick starting the car thereafter? Could be the spark that you are seeing is too weak.
Stock 1.4 Citi Golf
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:39 pm

yes you will need to test for compression. Could be lifters pumped up from too much oil pressure. Which leaves the valves standing open slightly.
You leave it for a few hours and they go down and the car runs again
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'07 Audi S6 V10 - beast !!!!!
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Audi Q5 3l tdi
'95 Audi 90 coupe quattro
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.