Polo 1.9tdi 74kw Vacuum Valve

Post Reply
DonovanWilliam
Enlisted
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Polo 1.9tdi 74kw Vacuum Valve

Post by DonovanWilliam » Sun May 13, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi guys, new to the forum here. I find these forums extremely helpful and decided to make my first post here because i'm in dire need of a vacuum valve. I stay in Port Elizabeth and cant seem to find this black box anywhere . I bought the car with the management light on, took it to a qualified Volkswagen mechanic and he said that the vacuum box has to be replaced, but they are scarce in PE. Does anyone know where i can find this black box ?

Thanks for reading my post. and would appreciate any leads to where i can find it.

Image
Terblanche
Enlisted
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:07 pm
Location: Gauteng

Re: Polo 1.9tdi 74kw Vacuum Valve

Post by Terblanche » Sun May 13, 2018 10:14 pm

They are about R3000 at VW last time I checked. (For my 1.4 9n) Goldwagen doesn't sell them. What fault code did he find? Most of the time it's a vacuum leak and not the box itself. Check the vacuum pipes one by one for leaks and check your brake booster pipe it likes to crack. And check the fitting coming out of the vacuum pump, it gets loose over time and leaks vacuum. You can fix that with some pratley steel.
Hope this helps. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User avatar
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Posts: 1095
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:00 pm
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline
Location: Durban

Re: Polo 1.9tdi 74kw Vacuum Valve

Post by Ashveer03 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:22 pm

I have only seen 1 box fail, and it makes a clicking sound like a bomb about to go off. You will probably get a dtc for that box if it has to fail.

Also check the vacuum reservoir, the black plastic ball infront of engine.

I have a good 1 of a 1.4tdi if u do need it, also check part numbers because according to vw there are a few "solenoid valve blocks", i dont know the differences between them though..

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Terblanche
Enlisted
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:07 pm
Location: Gauteng

Re: Polo 1.9tdi 74kw Vacuum Valve

Post by Terblanche » Sun May 13, 2018 10:39 pm

Ashveer03 wrote:I have only seen 1 box fail, and it makes a clicking sound like a bomb about to go off. You will probably get a dtc for that box if it has to fail.

Also check the vacuum reservoir, the black plastic ball infront of engine.

I have a good 1 of a 1.4tdi if u do need it, also check part numbers because according to vw there are a few "solenoid valve blocks", i dont know the differences between them though..

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
I've seen that they do differ a bit. The pipes goes to different places and some models has more pipes than others. Like my 1.4 doesn't have that reservoir in front of the engine like the 1.9 does.
I actually just need a new "o-ring" for my box. It's a funny looking one piece o ring for all the pipes, It almost looks like the buttons on the old cell phones. But for VW doesn't sell it loose. They want you to buy the complete box.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User avatar
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Posts: 1095
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:00 pm
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline
Location: Durban

Re: Polo 1.9tdi 74kw Vacuum Valve

Post by Ashveer03 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:43 pm

Will try to get some pics soon as i get some time.. i havnt really done much on the 1.4, that car ran n ran until it was in an accident.. At the quick glances i had at it, seemed to be the same as my sportline though

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Terblanche
Enlisted
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:07 pm
Location: Gauteng

Re: Polo 1.9tdi 74kw Vacuum Valve

Post by Terblanche » Sun May 13, 2018 10:51 pm

Ashveer03 wrote:Will try to get some pics soon as i get some time.. i havnt really done much on the 1.4, that car ran n ran until it was in an accident.. At the quick glances i had at it, seemed to be the same as my sportline though

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
I must agree with you. I'm on 370000km and had minimal major failures so far. Did you strip your 1.4 for spares after the accident? Or do you just have the vacuum box?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User avatar
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Posts: 1095
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:00 pm
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline
Location: Durban

Re: Polo 1.9tdi 74kw Vacuum Valve

Post by Ashveer03 » Sun May 13, 2018 11:15 pm

I will be stripping it for spares havnt started yet though lol.. i have an ad somewhere in the forsale section

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
DonovanWilliam
Enlisted
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: Polo 1.9tdi 74kw Vacuum Valve

Post by DonovanWilliam » Wed May 16, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply's. i have been busy at work so haven't had time to check it out yet.
Terblanche wrote: ↑
Sun May 13, 2018 10:14 pm
They are about R3000 at VW last time I checked. (For my 1.4 9n) Goldwagen doesn't sell them. What fault code did he find? Most of the time it's a vacuum leak and not the box itself. Check the vacuum pipes one by one for leaks and check your brake booster pipe it likes to crack. And check the fitting coming out of the vacuum pump, it gets loose over time and leaks vacuum. You can fix that with some pratley steel.
Hope this helps. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
He spoke about getting underboost and overboost errors ? But then again the management light does go off every now and then , But its mostly ON lol.
Ashveer03 wrote: ↑
Sun May 13, 2018 10:22 pm
I have only seen 1 box fail, and it makes a clicking sound like a bomb about to go off. You will probably get a dtc for that box if it has to fail.

Also check the vacuum reservoir, the black plastic ball infront of engine.

I have a good 1 of a 1.4tdi if u do need it, also check part numbers because according to vw there are a few "solenoid valve blocks", i dont know the differences between them though..

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
Can you please advise me what i should check on this black ball ? mine seems fine. Also another thing is my car was in a minor smash in front previous owner hit a small pole so inter cooler had to be changed. I remember noticing that the sensor on the inter cooler looked broken. Might that not be the reason for my engine light to be on ? Because i had a quick look at all my vacuum valves and didn't see anything funny

UPDATE: Okay so after fiddling around by my vacuum pump i noticed that the one pipe felt a bit loose. wiggled it a bit and revved the car a few times, my management light went off? Will check it out tomorrow when i get to work, and get the car scanned again if the management light does come on again.
User avatar
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Posts: 1095
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:00 pm
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline
Location: Durban

Re: Polo 1.9tdi 74kw Vacuum Valve

Post by Ashveer03 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:46 pm

A faulty map sensor can cause boost problems (the 1 on the intercooler)

The black ball basically stores vacuum, any cracks on it will be a problem. Make sure to Secure the pipe that felt loose.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
DonovanWilliam
Enlisted
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: Polo 1.9tdi 74kw Vacuum Valve

Post by DonovanWilliam » Sun May 20, 2018 10:32 am

Turned out my EGR valve was blocked up, gave it a good clean. Reset the ecu seems to have solved the problem
Post Reply