The MIGHTY mini (pic heavy)

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Juan the dealer
Enlisted

Re: The MIGHTY mini (pic heavy)

Post by Juan the dealer » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Thank you.

Today's update is big.

List of things that happened:
We finished stripping the left door.
We removed the steering assembly including the rack and pinion.
All the interior is out except the handbrake leaver.
The rest of the wiring is out.
The from subframe and motor also came out today. We are going to have to skim the block. And the head as well as do a rebore to 0.75 oversize pistons. Also if anyone buy any chance has and mini pistons lying around we do need them.
We drained the anti freeze out of the suspension and it made a huge mess of everything. The car was sitting so low the wheels were pushing on the arches.

I unfortunately don't have any pics from today as we were caught in the rain and it buggered everything up and it is lying in a mess in the garage. And we are also stuffed.

We are hoping to have the car at the painter buy the end of next week as well as the engine off of the gearbox and at the machiner.

That's all for today. Thanks for reading. Hope you are all enjoying it as much as we are. Although I somehow doubt that is possible.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Juan the dealer
Enlisted

Post by Juan the dealer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:27 am

More updates.

The clutch assembly is starting to come apart. The engine mounts are all off. (The engine is kinda hanging but still sort of in place on the subframe) I just have to figure out how to get the shafts out of the diff before taking the diff off (how the actual bananas do you get them out) also how do you get the flywheel screw out as I cannot get the engine to stop turning over when I try and get it off.

Here are some pics from today.

ImageNote all the boxes ImageImage

Juan the dealer
Enlisted

Post by Juan the dealer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:29 am

Oh yes I forgot to add we intend to have her at the Paint shop on Thursday.

Juan the dealer
Enlisted

Post by Juan the dealer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:15 pm

Veeery happy to announce that the engine is totally off the subframe.

The body with all the excess is at paint. The other door is stripped. And now we can really focus on the heart of the car. The motor.

So the clutch assembly is just about done disassemble. We just need to get it off of the motor. And then the sump and gearbox can come out.

Here are some pics.

Mk1Crazee
Cadet
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1980 Mk1 4 Door 2L8V

Post by Mk1Crazee » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:59 pm

Awesome project. looking to do a Mini project soon. Sub'd
1989 VW Fox 1800 (Sold)
1985 Ford XR3 1600Sport (Restoration Sold)
2004 Mk1 Golf 1.4i Velo Motor (Sold)
1980 Mk1 Old School Golf 2L8V

Shallow Pockets. Backyard Builder :moon:
Juan the dealer
Enlisted

Post by Juan the dealer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:19 am

Thanks man. Appreciate it.

Justin_B
VWCSA Member
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Up!
Membership No: 2024

Post by Justin_B » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:00 pm

Such a cool project!! All the best! Love these minis and hope to own one myself one day. Watching carefully to learn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MarshallGTi
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:59 am

really nice project you have there, there's just something endlessly cool about an old Mini
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
Juan the dealer
Enlisted

Post by Juan the dealer » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:18 pm

Thanks guys. I have to say it myself. They are so full of character and it brings us endless smiles. Yes sometimes they can be iffie in certain ways. (Half the car is imperial half is standard. They do have rust problems. Parts are not as readily available as a v dub. But they can be found) but these few things are nothing compared the the amount of good there is to them. They are fast(with a few tweeks) they are nippy. They handle like a dream. They can be modified really easily. They can be made unique. You can have a really good little car that has a solid body for a price the size of the car. And yes they can be raced on or off track. There are hundreds of variants as Well. This is because it is the production car that was produced for the longest time(if I'm correct it was from 1958 to 2002) they were also the first front wheel drive car ever produced that had the engine parallel to the front axle.

They weigh 650 kg.

The doors were designed to hold 3 bottles of gin each. There are a total of 3 cigarette holders (one in the front 2 at the back) that are capable of holding 5 cigarettes each = 15 cigarettes. Kinda overkill.

The fuel tank is a meagre 17 litres.
And apparently they can do about 175 km/h but I'm not so sure if that is a good idea.

But yeah. Thanks for your interest guys. It is much appreciated. I hope I'm keeping you all fixated. And I love hearing from you all. I will do my best to keep the content coming.

Cheers.

Juan the dealer
Enlisted

Post by Juan the dealer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:02 pm

Oof. So time for an update. The process came to a dead stop as the body was away for paint and the motor was in for engineering.

But anyway the last two weeks have been a little crazy as it all came back. Well everything except the doors and bonnet.

So forgive me for the inactivity.
So far we have assembled the interior and the subframe and most of the electrical harness is connected. We now have a new found respect for auto electricians.

We found what we believe to be the source of the loosness in the steering. The front subframe was loose due to a worn bolt and hole.

We also redid the dash. The wood was not going well with the colour so we rebuilt the whole thing.

Assembly of the motor should being this weekend.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Juan the dealer
Enlisted

Post by Juan the dealer » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:11 pm

Oh and we had to rebore. Reseat and replace the valves. Polish the already cut crank. Do stem seals. Find some incredibly scarce pistons. Turns out it does have a modified/cut cam. Which confirms our suspicions and explains the uneven or lumpy idling.

And the other thing is that this car is actually a mk1. With Australian doors.