1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

User avatar
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Posts: 25239
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:08 am
Membership No: 79
Location: Benoni, putfontein.

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by panic-mechanic » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:58 am

sbu.mah wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:52 pm
I guess its time to get rid of mine. Im on 167k and no issues with all consumption, only annoying thing is the tapping noise when the clutch is not pressed - being like that since 2013

Sent from my G3313 using Tapatalk
Once they seem to get past the 100 - 125 k range there seems to be very little failures so you may be selling it for no reason.
most failures 'seem' to occur in the 60-120k km range. Again I'm sure there are exceptions but that is my feeling around it.

As for some of the other quaetions. 2l TDI seems fairly reliable yes. 3l tdi is very reliable

Arnotur - JUST the parts to open and close that motor(gaskets, bearings, timing components) is in the region of R12k. Pistons from Wossner is around R9k. Add labour and engineering and R45k is right there. Pistons from VW themselves are in the region of R4-6k EACH.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'07 Audi S6 V10 - beast !!!!!
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Audi Q5 3l tdi
'95 Audi 90 coupe quattro
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
User avatar
1 Eyed Monkey
Brigadier
Posts: 6789
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:10 am
Membership No: 1280

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by 1 Eyed Monkey » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:26 pm

This thread just depressed me...
SHAUN wrote:
1 Eyed Monkey wrote: If you know Shaun, you'll know he has the biggest porn collection in Gauteng....
Only been watching midget porn lately, uses half the data.
aomar296
Cadet
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:23 pm

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by aomar296 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Any updates FvE?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

User avatar
Carel040
Cadet
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:53 am

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by Carel040 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:38 am

billionairebum wrote:This is why I bought another 1.9 tdi.
Hey dude same here sold my 1.4 tsi as well bought another 1.9 best deal ever, ps i will never drive a petrol car again

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

musoquarecords
Enlisted
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by musoquarecords » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:40 am

Well my 2013 golf 7 1.4 tsi just gave into the oil problems. After market warranty has no problems covering they just need a qoute. Most of these RMI approved places want to strip it first before giving a qoute now am sitting with a dilemma.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Posts: 13434
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:45 am
Membership No: 2033
Location: Cape Town, SA

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by Howie-WP » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:55 pm

musoquarecords wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:40 am
After market warranty has no problems covering they just need a qoute.
For the full repair?
User avatar
ICE King
Cadet
Posts: 550
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:55 pm
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati
Location: Cape Town

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by ICE King » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:27 pm

Howie-WP wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:55 pm
musoquarecords wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:40 am
After market warranty has no problems covering they just need a qoute.
For the full repair?
Reading OP's post correctly , So far he doesn't have a problem when he logged the claim , but the car must still be stripped which will cost him , then workshop/dealer can quote, Once quote is sent he'll know if he has a problem or not.
Rides:
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
sbu.mah
Cadet
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by sbu.mah » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:46 pm

musoquarecords wrote:Well my 2013 golf 7 1.4 tsi just gave into the oil problems. After market warranty has no problems covering they just need a qoute. Most of these RMI approved places want to strip it first before giving a qoute now am sitting with a dilemma.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
Be very careful with aftermarket covers, make sure you get the quote and they approve first.

Sent from my G3313 using Tapatalk

musoquarecords
Enlisted
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by musoquarecords » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:51 pm

sbu.mah wrote:
musoquarecords wrote:Well my 2013 golf 7 1.4 tsi just gave into the oil problems. After market warranty has no problems covering they just need a qoute. Most of these RMI approved places want to strip it first before giving a qoute now am sitting with a dilemma.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
Be very careful with aftermarket covers, make sure you get the quote and they approve first.

Sent from my G3313 using Tapatalk
Yes indeed bro hence am in a tough position because they want a qoute first before work can start and mechanics need to open(work has started evidently) before they can make a proper qoute see my struggle now. I can pretty much go to VW or any VW agent/mechanic but 3rd party needs a qoute

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

sbu.mah
Cadet
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by sbu.mah » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:56 pm

Whats the mileage on the car, cause mine is also 2013 and on 173000 now and still no issues.

But ive noticed that most folks seem to be having this issue
musoquarecords wrote:
sbu.mah wrote:
musoquarecords wrote:Well my 2013 golf 7 1.4 tsi just gave into the oil problems. After market warranty has no problems covering they just need a qoute. Most of these RMI approved places want to strip it first before giving a qoute now am sitting with a dilemma.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
Be very careful with aftermarket covers, make sure you get the quote and they approve first.

Sent from my G3313 using Tapatalk
Yes indeed bro hence am in a tough position because they want a qoute first before work can start and mechanics need to open(work has started evidently) before they can make a proper qoute see my struggle now. I can pretty much go to VW or any VW agent/mechanic but 3rd party needs a qoute

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
Sent from my G3313 using Tapatalk

musoquarecords
Enlisted
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by musoquarecords » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:58 pm

sbu.mah wrote:Whats the mileage on the car, cause mine is also 2013 and on 173000 now and still no issues.

But ive noticed that most folks seem to be having this issue
musoquarecords wrote:
sbu.mah wrote:
musoquarecords wrote:Well my 2013 golf 7 1.4 tsi just gave into the oil problems. After market warranty has no problems covering they just need a qoute. Most of these RMI approved places want to strip it first before giving a qoute now am sitting with a dilemma.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
Be very careful with aftermarket covers, make sure you get the quote and they approve first.

Sent from my G3313 using Tapatalk
Yes indeed bro hence am in a tough position because they want a qoute first before work can start and mechanics need to open(work has started evidently) before they can make a proper qoute see my struggle now. I can pretty much go to VW or any VW agent/mechanic but 3rd party needs a qoute

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
Sent from my G3313 using Tapatalk
157k and first time it's happening now I don't know why and am pissed off abit but i know the bank warranty with absa will cover all work done I have up to R60k for engine work surely what ever work they will do will fall in that region.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

sbu.mah
Cadet
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by sbu.mah » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:20 pm

Glad you covered, hope they fix the problem. Golf 7 is a great car pity they tend to have annoying issues, especially the 2013 model
musoquarecords wrote:
sbu.mah wrote:Whats the mileage on the car, cause mine is also 2013 and on 173000 now and still no issues.

But ive noticed that most folks seem to be having this issue
musoquarecords wrote:
sbu.mah wrote:Be very careful with aftermarket covers, make sure you get the quote and they approve first.

Sent from my G3313 using Tapatalk
Yes indeed bro hence am in a tough position because they want a qoute first before work can start and mechanics need to open(work has started evidently) before they can make a proper qoute see my struggle now. I can pretty much go to VW or any VW agent/mechanic but 3rd party needs a qoute

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
Sent from my G3313 using Tapatalk
157k and first time it's happening now I don't know why and am pissed off abit but i know the bank warranty with absa will cover all work done I have up to R60k for engine work surely what ever work they will do will fall in that region.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
Sent from my G3313 using Tapatalk

aomar296
Cadet
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:23 pm

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by aomar296 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:35 pm

Sorry to hear about your issue. I know the feeling it sucks. I was in the exact same situation few months ago

Update on mine.

Car was at the dealer for 2months

Engine and Cylinder head had to be overhauled including pistons and valve guides,

Cost covered by SA warranties on the MasterCar policy which covered R43k of the cost. I had to pay in about R3k


Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Posts: 13434
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:45 am
Membership No: 2033
Location: Cape Town, SA

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by Howie-WP » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:40 pm

musoquarecords wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:58 pm
157k and first time it's happening now I don't know why and am pissed off abit but i know the bank warranty with absa will cover all work done I have up to R60k for engine work surely what ever work they will do will fall in that region.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
That was the bit I was after. Goodluck with the repairs ...........
musoquarecords
Enlisted
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by musoquarecords » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:28 pm

aomar296 wrote:Sorry to hear about your issue. I know the feeling it sucks. I was in the exact same situation few months ago

Update on mine.

Car was at the dealer for 2months

Engine and Cylinder head had to be overhauled including pistons and valve guides,

Cost covered by SA warranties on the MasterCar policy which covered R43k of the cost. I had to pay in about R3k


Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Eish am very worried about car being with a dealer for 2 months. Was it due to short staffed or just labor takes that long to do? More reason why I don't want VW agent to do the work rather 3rd party agents that are as good.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

aomar296
Cadet
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:23 pm

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by aomar296 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:02 pm

Whole process with warranty, engineers and parts hence took so long

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

User avatar
G-UNIT
Cadet
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 4:17 pm
Car Make: VW
Car Model: G7

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by G-UNIT » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:33 pm

Same oil issues here, started at around 120,000k's.
At my 135k service, the guy told me to drive for 1000k's, bring it back then, they'll check the oil level.
Was on just over 900ks when the light came on.
He topped it up, then said i must do an oil test which will cost around 2.5K.
Didn't do it, seems like a waste of money.

Now i top up at home instead of at the garage which costs a lot compared to Midas :)

This is a very frustrating situation.

Won't get much on a trade in.

Owned Golf MK2
a '06 polo
a MK6 tsi
now a MK7 tsi

Hard to stay loyal to the brand now.
cronny
Enlisted
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:52 pm
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf 7 1.4 TSI Comfortline DSG
Membership No: missing

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by cronny » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:30 pm

Seems like I'm getting the same problem on my 2013 Golf 7 1.4 TSI DSG. Car has never used a drop of oil until at 62000km the oil light came on. Topped it up with a litre and the light came on again at 67000km. Car goes for its final service under maintenance plan in November. Will tell them about the problem but I'm pretty sure I'll be told the oil consumption is acceptable. I'm considering extending the maintenance plan for another year but not sure of the costs. What is the est. time frame between the problem presenting itself and things are beyond VW's acceptable standards?
2014 VW Golf 7 1.4 TSI Comfortline DSG
2008 Peugeot 207 HDI
'97 Golf 3 GSX
'92 Jetta II CSX
'83 Jetta I GLS
manixx
Enlisted
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by manixx » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:17 am

cronny wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:30 pm
Seems like I'm getting the same problem on my 2013 Golf 7 1.4 TSI DSG. Car has never used a drop of oil until at 62000km the oil light came on. Topped it up with a litre and the light came on again at 67000km. Car goes for its final service under maintenance plan in November. Will tell them about the problem but I'm pretty sure I'll be told the oil consumption is acceptable. I'm considering extending the maintenance plan for another year but not sure of the costs. What is the est. time frame between the problem presenting itself and things are beyond VW's acceptable standards?
I am almost certain that VW will not begin any repairs until your rate of oil consumption is about 500km per litre. I suggest you inform them about the problem and ensure that there is some record of it on their systems.
The problem does get progressively worse over time.
I have posted a lot of information on this topic on the Audi forum.

https://www.audiclubsouthafrica.co.za/f ... 8492#p8492

The same principles apply to most 1.8T, 2.0T and 1.4T engines.
User avatar
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Posts: 25239
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:08 am
Membership No: 79
Location: Benoni, putfontein.

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by panic-mechanic » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:37 am

Actually you posted very little information short of people must bring it to you to be fixed.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'07 Audi S6 V10 - beast !!!!!
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Audi Q5 3l tdi
'95 Audi 90 coupe quattro
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Post Reply