Polo 6C amp install help...

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
cafsta
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 6C Polo GP Highline

Polo 6C amp install help...

Post by cafsta »

Has anybody added/installed an amplifier to their OEM headunit in the 6C Polo's?

Did you use a line-out converter? Did you cut any of your wires behind the headunit? Have you upgraded your door speakers and did you use the original speaker wiring? Have you added a line-out converter and how did you connect it. I don't know if this headunit has a remote wire either...

I'm used to installing my own sound but with the worry about the warranty it has me stuck. Not to mention the fact that there are plugs for the wiring going into the doors so how do you upgrade your speaker cable.

Then worst of all is where to run my amp power cable. I've no bloody idea. I've been told to make a slit in the rubber by the aircon pipes and run the cable through there but I'm really really worried....

Any guys that can help with some advice please...

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk

Current Ride
Pure White 6C GP Polo H/line

Ex Rides
6R 1.4i C/line
2009 VW Golf 1.4i
1990 BMW E30 325i
1995 Nissan Sentra 200STi
Beeno
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 8 years 3 months
Car Model: MK2 Tiguan 1.4TSI
Membership No: 3090

Re: Polo 6C amp install help...

Post by Beeno »

I'm planning an install in my 2015 Golf (probably the same set up you have). I've managed to find a harness for a aftermarket Bluetooth kit which has the male and female radio plugs (the big square plugs with the release handles) which has speaker wires between them. I'm going cut them in half and extended them so the speaker output from the OEM head unit will go to my speaker inputs on my amp via this harness, and the amp speaker outputs will connect to the harness and to the speakers. I'm going to mount the amp under the front passenger seat (it's a small 5 channel amp that fits quite snug there) so the cable runs to/from the amp are going to be fairly short with no cutting on the OEM harness. My amp has built in line-in conversion and senses power on the speaker wires to switch on so no need for remote wire, which the OEM head unit does not have. If you need a remote wire, you'll have to find it from a fuse which has voltage on it when the ignition is on (saw someone do this on another forum somewhere)
I've managed to find a solution for the power cable in the Golf, but I think the Polo might be different. The older Polo's I've worked on have a rubber grommet you can use on the top somewhere between the windscreen and the passenger side strut mount that comes out under the dash. You'll have to feed it through another grommet in the firewall into the splash tray first, but it's good for 4AGW cable.
Don't just make a slit in the rubber though, I find making an X is easier to re-seal - after pushing the cable all the way through, push it a little bit further and then yank it back a bit so the edges of the X pop out towards the engine bay and then use some sealant tape to close it off again (the type you get from Builders Warehouse that stretches when you apply it, and makes a watertight seal) or just spray some pipe sealer on it (Mighty sealer from B/W works well).
Sorry for the long reply, good luck with your install
Tiguan MK2 1.4 TSI Comfortline
Limestone Grey G7 GTI DSG
BMW 2004SA
pyro-zn
Major
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Model: Golf 7R
Membership No: 2072

Post by pyro-zn »

Line-out converter is more than enough... so are factory speakers, unless you're looking at competition sound.

Current: '17 Golf VII R
Ex: '12 TR Golf Vi GTi DSG ::: Revo3 - thread
Ex: '07 Polo GTi (Take 2) ::: FR&R Tuned (163wkw 385nm) - thread
Ex: '13 Polo 1.4 Comfortline ::: PanoRoof | JOM Bluelines | 17" A-Line Racers | 17" VW Boavista's
by Borbet - thread
Ex: '07 Polo GTi ::: 76mm downpipe | 63mm exhaust | sLammeD - pics thread
cafsta
Cadet

Post by cafsta »

Thanx @Beeno for the response bud. My patience is up so I'm taking it in to an installer tomorrow. I've liaised with my VW and they said cutting or splicing the speaker wires is fine, just not any of the power wires.

My line-out convertor has the remote wire on it so no worries about that. My amp is kinda big so it'll go in the boot. I'll post pics tomorrow eve after the install.

I'm gonna stay during the installation so I can see where and how they route the power cable. Next time I'll search for a similar harness as you are going to use which will make things much easier.

Oh I like had the cubby hole completely out but yet couldn't really see a hole to route it through besides for the loom which went up into the section where the wipers are situated but I was not going to fiddle there because one mess up there and I'll be having water coming into the vehicle every time it rains or I wash the car lol....

Anyway, Thanx again for your input bud

Current Ride

Ex Rides
6R 1.4i C/line
2009 VW Golf 1.4i
1990 BMW E30 325i
cafsta
Cadet

Post by cafsta »

And how simple is that. Amp wire via the fender into the grommet by the door.

Well now I know for next time.

Current Ride

Ex Rides
6R 1.4i C/line
2009 VW Golf 1.4i
1990 BMW E30 325i
cafsta
Cadet

Post by cafsta »

Yeah so installation done and dusted. Not completely what I wanted for the amp but it's still neat....

Current Ride

Ex Rides
6R 1.4i C/line
2009 VW Golf 1.4i
1990 BMW E30 325i
Beeno
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 8 years 3 months
Car Model: MK2 Tiguan 1.4TSI
Membership No: 3090

Post by Beeno »

Nicely done! enjoy bud
Tiguan MK2 1.4 TSI Comfortline
Limestone Grey G7 GTI DSG
BMW 2004SA
cafsta
Cadet

Post by cafsta »

Another thing for those doing an install using the line-out converter.

Connect the line-out converter to the front speaker cables as these carry the sound for your bluetoooth calls. After finishing my installation a few days later I received a call and could not hear the ringing sound nor of the person calling. I swapped the wiring on the line-out converter to the front channels on the head unit and everything working now as it should.....

Current Ride

Ex Rides
6R 1.4i C/line
2009 VW Golf 1.4i
1990 BMW E30 325i