GJHuman
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.9tdi

Polo Speedo Cluster Green Pin Layout for DIY Cruise-Control

Post by GJHuman »

Hi All

I am installing cruise-control on my car. But not the OEM plug in type. I have one with a servo that I will connect to the fuel pedal. See pic1 (not the same brand, the pic is only for reference). The OEM route would have been easier but I got this kit for free and is new about R4'500, and I am halfway done.

I already connected the:
1) Power
2) Ground
3) Brake status signal at pedal
4) Clutch status signal at pedal

What I need still to do:
5) Connect speed signal behind cluster.
6) Install servo near fuel pedal.

I looked all over the web and cant find a wiring diagram to fit the pin layout of the Green plug behind my cluster. See pic2 and pic3 for the layout of my plug. I looked on workshop manuals .com (pic 4) and I can find the cluster diagram for installation etc. but not the pin layout. On other forums I found the pin layout for the Golf 4 and 5, the Citi Golf, even the polo 5 but none of them match my polo's plug.

Can anyone help me with the speedo cluster green pin layout for my 2006 1.9 tdi polo?

Gerrit
Deranged_9n3
Darth Vader
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Car Model: Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
Membership No: 1639

Re: Polo Speedo Cluster Green Pin Layout for DIY Cruise-Cont

Post by Deranged_9n3 »

Contact Shaheen from E-Tuners. Find his details in the sponsor section
My Youtube Channel

Tiguan Track & Field 4Motion

20" Rotors l Airlift Performance l 63mm Downpipe and DPF Delete l PD-Tuning Software

Polo TDi RaceCar

GTB2260VZK l 76mm Stainless DP and FF l FMIC + Stainless Boost Pipes l Nitrous l PD-Tuning Software

GTB2260VZK
13.2 1/4mile @ ODI

Loud 'n Low, Rollin' Coal
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

There are three wires on your speedo pickup on the gearbox. Using a multimeter see if you can trace any of them to the cluster plug. if you find it then that is the speed signal.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
GJHuman
Enlisted

Post by GJHuman »

Just an update;

Last night I jacked the right front wheel in the air and put is on a stand and put bricks in front of the other 3 wheels. I started the car and put it in second and released the clutch slowly. The wheel turned and the car didn't run off the stand :crazy:

I connected the one end of my multimeter to ground and with the other I tried to find a wire with frequency on so I know it was the speed signal. There were a few wires with variable frequency on and I didn't want to rev the engine I was afraid the car would jump of the stand and run through the wall! So I didn't get what I was looking for.

In the process something started peeping a lot because I triggered the airbag on one of the pins. Luckily it didn't deploy :hurray: , I assume it's because I didn't have my seatbelt plugged in.

This a dodgy exercise and I don't think I will try it again...

Any other ideas?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

What you did was not what i recommended so that is still the idea i recommend.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
GJHuman
Enlisted

Post by GJHuman »

Yes I know it's not what you recommended. I phoned a shop who install the same type of cruise control and asked them how they find the signal and that is how they do it. But they lift both wheels...
GJHuman
Enlisted

Post by GJHuman »

Success! :crazy:

Last night I soldered the speed sense wire from the cruise control to pin number 5 on the 32pin plug on the back of the instrument cluster, as seen in the first image. It was a white wire with a purple stripe.

(Thanks to Bestech and their friendly service who gave me the correct pin number and colour within minutes! The cruise control is quite expensive but it's a really good product. This is the 4th car its been in since 2003, when 1st installed)

I couldn't really test it until everything was done and I could go for a test drive. So I quickly installed the servo as seen in the second image. Over the weekend I will install the servo properly.