63mm Exhaust on 1.8 20VT A4

User avatar
Bandit
Cadet
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:43 am
Location: Cape Town
Contact:

63mm Exhaust on 1.8 20VT A4

Postby Bandit » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:41 am

Yesterday I had a 63mm Exhaust fitted to my A4 and I am impressed wit the performance, sound and look of it.
One thing that I did notice driving to work this morning was that my cars water temp was sitting at +- 65 deg C. Normally this would be right in the middle at 90deg. As I got into town again(stop start driving) the water temp went back to 90deg. It was just interresting to see such a big difference between highway driving and town driving. Could it be that something is wrong somewhere or is it just because the turbo can dissapate heat better thus the motor is running colder?

PS I drive 47km of highway to get to where I work and this morning I was crusing at the speed limit, thats not always the case.
Image

Jean
Land Rover Defender 90 2.8
2.8 BMW M52
165KW 380MN
325i Intake
Custom Exhaust by Powerflow, Thanks Roddy

User avatar
greggpb
Cadet
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:55 pm
Location: Cape Town
Contact:

Re: 63mm Exhaust on 1.8 20VT A4

Postby greggpb » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:35 am

Bandit wrote:Yesterday I had a 63mm Exhaust fitted to my A4 and I am impressed wit the performance, sound and look of it.
One thing that I did notice driving to work this morning was that my cars water temp was sitting at +- 65 deg C. Normally this would be right in the middle at 90deg. As I got into town again(stop start driving) the water temp went back to 90deg. It was just interresting to see such a big difference between highway driving and town driving. Could it be that something is wrong somewhere or is it just because the turbo can dissapate heat better thus the motor is running colder?

PS I drive 47km of highway to get to where I work and this morning I was crusing at the speed limit, thats not always the case.



What happens is the CAT causes alot of back pressure and heat... thefore with the more free exhaust and no cat the gasses flow smoother and there is not restrinction and minimal heat buildup..... underbonnet temps shpuld be genrally lower....

its amasing what a diff the exhaust makes on these cars..
2006 Golf GTI MKV - (Stock)
Ex: 2002 A3 1.8T AUM - (Revo Stg 2, 4Bar FPR, Eibach Pro-kit, Bailey DV30, 63mm Turbo Back, Water injection, VR6 Clutch, BoostValve anti spike)

User avatar
Bandit
Cadet
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:43 am
Location: Cape Town
Contact:

Postby Bandit » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:43 am

Yeah, I reconed that, but what I forgot to mention is that I removed the CAT about a year ago and even without the CAT if I drove it hard on open road the temp still stayed on 90deg. I would drive it from Durbanville to Panorama and by the time I get home and I open the bonnet the entire turbo, manafold and half of the downpipe is so hot that its glowing white. Cool sigaret lighter party trick :lol:
Image

Jean
Land Rover Defender 90 2.8
2.8 BMW M52
165KW 380MN
325i Intake
Custom Exhaust by Powerflow, Thanks Roddy

User avatar
greggpb
Cadet
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:55 pm
Location: Cape Town
Contact:

Postby greggpb » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:17 pm

Bandit wrote:Yeah, I reconed that, but what I forgot to mention is that I removed the CAT about a year ago and even without the CAT if I drove it hard on open road the temp still stayed on 90deg. I would drive it from Durbanville to Panorama and by the time I get home and I open the bonnet the entire turbo, manafold and half of the downpipe is so hot that its glowing white. Cool sigaret lighter party trick :lol:



hectic.... and probally case of the better flow where was the car done... we should have a benchmarks sometime caus ei live near enought to panarama

ps love the ciggy trick... :D :D :D
2006 Golf GTI MKV - (Stock)
Ex: 2002 A3 1.8T AUM - (Revo Stg 2, 4Bar FPR, Eibach Pro-kit, Bailey DV30, 63mm Turbo Back, Water injection, VR6 Clutch, BoostValve anti spike)

User avatar
Bandit
Cadet
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:43 am
Location: Cape Town
Contact:

Postby Bandit » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:54 pm

Roddy at Powerflow Belleville did the exhaust for me, it was gonna take 2 days to do, but he managed to get the car done in one day.
Image

Jean
Land Rover Defender 90 2.8
2.8 BMW M52
165KW 380MN
325i Intake
Custom Exhaust by Powerflow, Thanks Roddy

User avatar
JaMMeX
Captain
Posts: 2410
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:24 pm
Location: Flying Around the Cape
Contact:

Postby JaMMeX » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:40 pm

YEAH! you to should have a run against each other...

Bruce
Bruce Carlstein
Ferroli Motorsport
Membership No#: CT556
Western Cape REVO Slutt

Image

Ex Rides:
1989 MK II 1800 16V Turbo- 165kw | 310nm @ 0.5 bar
2000 MKIV GTi - GT28RS Turbo- 223kw | 360nm @ 1bar

User avatar
greggpb
Cadet
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:55 pm
Location: Cape Town
Contact:

Postby greggpb » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:46 pm

Could you guestimate the cost for me ??
2006 Golf GTI MKV - (Stock)
Ex: 2002 A3 1.8T AUM - (Revo Stg 2, 4Bar FPR, Eibach Pro-kit, Bailey DV30, 63mm Turbo Back, Water injection, VR6 Clutch, BoostValve anti spike)

User avatar
Bandit
Cadet
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:43 am
Location: Cape Town
Contact:

Postby Bandit » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:46 pm

greggpb wrote:Could you guestimate the cost for me ??


Best would be to phone Roddy and ask him to quote you.
Should be round about 3K for the exhaust.

Powerflow Bellevile
Tel: 021 9307717
Image

Jean
Land Rover Defender 90 2.8
2.8 BMW M52
165KW 380MN
325i Intake
Custom Exhaust by Powerflow, Thanks Roddy

User avatar
GTiDon
Brigadier
Posts: 6350
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:05 am
Membership No: 1161

Postby GTiDon » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:56 pm

Back pressure makes a huge difference to the turbo. It spools up much easier without backpressure.

My boost went from .5 bar boost to 1 bar, just by changing to a bigger exhaust, then I had to set the wastegate down again

User avatar
GTI_man
Cadet
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:03 pm
Location: JHB,Lonehill
Contact:

Postby GTI_man » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:26 pm

gtidon wrote:Back pressure makes a huge difference to the turbo. It spools up much easier without backpressure.

My boost went from .5 bar boost to 1 bar, just by changing to a bigger exhaust, then I had to set the wastegate down again

So then its true that the less back pressure you have on a turbo car the better?
Wat about a 2.0l 16V supercharged motor?I hear a 63ml with two small silencers would be best?I actuallu have a dbl exhaust...off the mani its one silencer(its stil one exhaust tube,then one by each end (above the tail pieces)Heres sum pix if u not sure wat i mean :wink:
http://uberracing.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Image
Current:
Mk4 GTI
---63mm ss exhaust and DP (decat)

EX's:
MK1 2door
---2.0 8V (2E)---736 kg's---102.6bhp atw's(K.A.R.)
94 chico 1300
89 1600 citi sport-slightly modded.

[email protected]
082 492 3139

User avatar
GTiDon
Brigadier
Posts: 6350
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:05 am
Membership No: 1161

Postby GTiDon » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:49 pm

Better flow always = more performance. Wont make a supercharger boost more though, but will flow better.

More air = more power.

1 con with big exhaust is slightly difficult starting and idling because back pressure can increase compression in the cylinders

Turbo/Charger = more air = more power
free flow, branch, porting, bigger cam ect = more air = more power
NOS = more air (all it does is freezes it and makes more oxygen in less volume) = more air = power. NOS does not burn! is just cools down the air

User avatar
Bandit
Cadet
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:43 am
Location: Cape Town
Contact:

Postby Bandit » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:56 am

is just cools down the air


Wrong, NOs, enriches the oxigen level in the cylinder thus you can add more fuel thus making more power. The only application that I know of for cooling purposes is when you add a halo NOS kit for a intercooler. When you spray the NOS it cools down the intercooler.
Image

Jean
Land Rover Defender 90 2.8
2.8 BMW M52
165KW 380MN
325i Intake
Custom Exhaust by Powerflow, Thanks Roddy

User avatar
GTiDon
Brigadier
Posts: 6350
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:05 am
Membership No: 1161

Postby GTiDon » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:32 pm

Bandit wrote:
is just cools down the air


Wrong, NOs, enriches the oxigen level in the cylinder thus you can add more fuel thus making more power. The only application that I know of for cooling purposes is when you add a halo NOS kit for a intercooler. When you spray the NOS it cools down the intercooler.



It enriches oxygen in the cylinder BECAUSE the cooled air uses less volume and therefore more oxygen fits in the same amount of space. RIGHT!
.. or maybe,, nevermind

User avatar
Bandit
Cadet
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 10:43 am
Location: Cape Town
Contact:

Postby Bandit » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:46 pm

gtidon wrote:
Bandit wrote:
is just cools down the air


Wrong, NOs, enriches the oxygen level in the cylinder thus you can add more fuel thus making more power. The only application that I know of for cooling purposes is when you add a halo NOS kit for a intercooler. When you spray the NOS it cools down the intercooler.



It enriches oxygen in the cylinder BECAUSE the cooled air uses less volume and therefore more oxygen fits in the same amount of space. RIGHT!
.. or maybe,, nevermind


Not quite, NOS has more oxygen per volume than normal atmosphere, that is how power is made.
Image

Jean
Land Rover Defender 90 2.8
2.8 BMW M52
165KW 380MN
325i Intake
Custom Exhaust by Powerflow, Thanks Roddy

User avatar
GTiDon
Brigadier
Posts: 6350
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:05 am
Membership No: 1161

Postby GTiDon » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:59 pm

Bandit wrote:
gtidon wrote:
Bandit wrote:
is just cools down the air


Wrong, NOs, enriches the oxygen level in the cylinder thus you can add more fuel thus making more power. The only application that I know of for cooling purposes is when you add a halo NOS kit for a intercooler. When you spray the NOS it cools down the intercooler.



It enriches oxygen in the cylinder BECAUSE the cooled air uses less volume and therefore more oxygen fits in the same amount of space. RIGHT!
.. or maybe,, nevermind


Not quite, NOS has more oxygen per volume than normal atmosphere, that is how power is made.


Sorry, if so then I am wrong. But my knowledge of it differs

User avatar
GTiDon
Brigadier
Posts: 6350
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:05 am
Membership No: 1161

Postby GTiDon » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:03 pm

Here is an extract I found.. we both right


N02 is made up of 1 part Nitrogen for every 2 Oxygen. That means that for a certain volume, there is a far greater amount of oxygen to combust with the gasoline than just regular air. This means that more combustion chamber pressure and temperature can be created for a given volume of intake charge and therefore it makes much more power.
Also, as N02 vaporizes in the intake tract, it cools from the extreme expansion of becoming a gas from a liquid. This has an added bonus of greatly reducing the intake charge temp which makes it more dense, which also produces added power.

Return to “General Tech Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 76 guests