To use motorex pistons or ks? For 2l16v t shortblock?

maranou
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

To use motorex pistons or ks? For 2l16v t shortblock?

Post by maranou »

Car melt piston on no 4 and need new pistons,poeple say motorex just as good as ks or even beter,and wane use hasting rings becaus has cromoly coated top ring and cheaper than cofab that take forever to seat.
http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... 11&t=72987
With good advice and bad spelling.
Golf 2l16vT 320kw 520nm
1/4mile @ 12.2 kilarney 2011
800m @ 233km/h
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: To use motorex pistons or ks? For 2l16v t shortblock?

Post by panic-mechanic »

Sorry don't know motorex so my choice would be KS. Hastings are fine cofap is better if you going for a long term build. Have you sorted the reason it went lean....
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
lampredi
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by lampredi »

The problm with motrex based on wot i hear 4rm experianced engine builder: the ring groove on pistons wear quiker. So its not the rings thats the problem with motrex,its the piston ring grooves.(inferior causing premature wear) as compared to ks. Many misinterprate this and buy good rings,thinking that better than motrex rings wil sort ths out.in a performance engn u wil get black smoke sooner etc. Cos pistns quality cause ring groove wear quiker.
maranou
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by maranou »

Panic : Stil doing examination why it run lean on piston 4,can be injector but new 700cc bosch but gone test it,can be oring leak but did test after startup with carb cleaner? Can be intake leak,gone try to presure test it,can be timing or feul but on dyno heard no pinging with nock detecter earphone thing?

Did make 316kw on 1.5bar on afgas.

Wil try to post picks tomoro of pistons and intake
http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... 11&t=72987
With good advice and bad spelling.
Golf 2l16vT 320kw 520nm
1/4mile @ 12.2 kilarney 2011
800m @ 233km/h
shannon ekermans
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by shannon ekermans »

if you have one of those cast or log type manifolds that places the turbo very close to a particular piston then you will melt that piston all the time. the heat will lean out that cylinder more than the others due to running much hotter. and you wont know it cause only that cylinder will be recieving more temp.

something like this Image
golf 94 cti
105kw
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Shannon - I disagree. There is nothing in an exhaust that will make a piston melt. The piston melts when it's on a power stroke and at that point the intake and exhaust valves are both closed. There is literally one reason for a melting piston and that is being too lean. If it's detonation then it shows pit marks and they usually crack.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
VeeRar6ix
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by VeeRar6ix »

shannon ekermans wrote:if you have one of those cast or log type manifolds that places the turbo very close to a particular piston then you will melt that piston all the time. the heat will lean out that cylinder more than the others due to running much hotter. and you wont know it cause only that cylinder will be recieving more temp.

something like this Image
Disagree

By saying so, why doesn't the cylinder head itself melt if its too close to the turbo?
2008 Velociti 1.4i
1995 Jetta 12v VR6 Turbo 6 speed 4WD

(Ex headache)
1995 Jetta 24v VR6 Turbo

Turbo lag: the number of seconds the guy in the other car thinks he is winning...
shannon ekermans
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by shannon ekermans »

i guess you learn something every day. its just what i got told buy someone who makes turbo manifolds. he was working on a opel superboss that had burnt cylinder 4 three times already and that was his theory. it made sense to me but then again im no expert on this sort of thing.
golf 94 cti
105kw