Golf 3 GTI?

dans069
Enlisted
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Golf 3 GTI?

Post by dans069 »

Sup Homeslices,

I'm thinking of getting myself a Golf 3 GTI... :drool:
I just have some questions about the engine.
Did they come out in both 2.0l 8v and 2.0l 16v? :driving:

If they did...... How can you differentiate between the two? :bang:
Did the 8v come out prior to the 16v or something? :cry:
What is the Power difference between the two?

I just want to get a general idea.

The issue is, that these guys come with very high mileage if previously owned. SO, other than obviously the usual stuff to check when buying a second hand car, what are some flaws that VW made during production that might give a bit of uphil and would have to be fixed first...

What type of admin am I getting myself into? What are some common issues and stuff?

Shot :wink:
If it ain't broken, it only need moddin :-P
BlueBlob
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months

Re: Golf 3 GTI?

Post by BlueBlob »

They were only 8V in SA. 85kw if memory serves.

You got 16V MK3 GTi's in England though; that's where the ABF comes from.
dans069
Enlisted

Post by dans069 »

So in SA we only got the 8v?
BlueBlob
Panic's Place

Post by BlueBlob »

dans069 wrote:So in SA we only got the 8v?
Yes.
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Mk3 GTi was only 2L8V in SA. Buy a post '96 it's MP9, 88kw. No real issues on them....... No pocket rocket, cruises well and the shape has aged very well. I have a '96 model and have added almost 200k km's since I bought it. If I was you would try for the run out Millenium edition, with the BBS rims and special coloured dials.......
BlueBlob
Panic's Place

Post by BlueBlob »

Howie-WP wrote:No pocket rocket,
No kidding. A well peddled BMX is faster than them from the lights. :lol:
dans069
Enlisted

Post by dans069 »

Alright! Wicked! :)

So you say post 96'... forgive me for sounding like a moron, but what year range is the run out millenium edition? I would assume the 98 models which are closer to the "Millenium". Unless of course the germans were very special and created the millenium run out edition in the early nineties...
OcTaLL
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK3 GTI 8v
Membership No: 1654

Post by OcTaLL »

I have a '93 GTI 8v. Great car, stock it is very heavy on petrol. I think pre 96 was digifant fi and post was MP9. The digifant GTI uses the airflow meter and these tend to konk out after years of use.

I am busy converting to PP AFM and will be using a wideband lambda and also converting to Sfi so fuel consumption will be alot better. It does cost alot to convert but the money saved will pay for the install in no time.

I've had to replace the crank(R1200), pistons, rods, bearings, oilpump(R800), A/C condensor(R800), P/S pump(R1200). These were not so expensive but now I have new engine essentially. I am just struggling to find a windscreen as my seals has corroded over the years and need replacing as the windscreen leaks.

Mods are endless on these cars and aftermarket parts are to pick and to choose from. The only downside of the car I find is that it is very heavy.

Mine has the 2E engine so I will be going 16v later maybe, at least it leaves the window open to do so if I wish to. Many guys do the 1.8t conversion as well. Wouldn't mind the 1.8t S3 or TT engine.... :drool: :drool:

Electronics seems to be a hassle, do the headlight relay conversion and fit new relays/fuses under the dash.
Past rides:
Renault Clio III
'93 VW GTi 2.0 8v
'04 VW Golf Life 1.6i
'96 Corsa 1.3IE
'93 Uno Pacer SX 1400
'91 Uno Fire 1100
'78 VW Beetle 1600SP
iceblue
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK4 GTi
Membership No: missing

Post by iceblue »

Mine's nearly at 300 000KM now :eek: but has been very reliable. Had the motor redone when the head gasket blew and did rings at the same time as it had started to smoke slightly. This was done at around 250000KM. Other than that, no big problems besides normal maintenance and expected wear and tear.

Personally I don't find mine too heavy on petrol. I get in the region of 500km per tank and I have a cam and powerflow exhaust fitted.

As above, no 16V in SA but we did have the Exec which came with electric windows, full leather interior and 15" wheels.
My other car's a french maid with a large derriere.
grant8v
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by grant8v »

Hi...I have a '98 model aka Millenium Edition. Very nice cars if you are looking for a nice comfortable ride. If it's speed you are looking for rather try some else.

Their engines seems good as do most 8v's. And as Howie added they age well LOL. Styling wise there are some good aftermarket and OEM goodies you can add. Just have a look at Noor's mk3...

Good luck with the search though
vw drivers:one born every minute
Current: '98 mk3 GTi Millenium Edition
Ex: '90 2.0 16valve mk2 GTi
Ex: '89 1800 8valve mk2 GTi
Ex: '82 mk1 GTi

ImageImageImage
GolfMad
Brigadier
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: Nissan
Car Model: Terrano 2.7 TDi 4x4

Post by GolfMad »

Great cruisers yeah !! not good for quick TLGP's. It feels more stable at 200 kph than my old Audi 500 ever did. ! But yes - in traffic start stop driving, especially the older models with Digifant is heavy on juice, no, seriously I mean HEAVY on juice - I get around maybe 8 kilos per litre - open road cruising will get you around 11 - 12 km/liter if you drive near the legal speed limit :grin:

Things that go wrong? I dunno - nothing mechanically has gone wrong with mine yet, execpt the coil konked out about a month ago - but parts freely available ! :cool:
Current Mk3 Gti Sold.
Jy kan met 'n Nissan (soms)

VroetelTrok - 1974 VW Baywindow Bus
momoGTI
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 4 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 130i M Sport

Post by momoGTI »

Whats up boet.

Im selling my 94 GTi, email or pm me if you interested and il be glad to fill you in on all the details.
Jet Li
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Membership No: 3103

Post by Jet Li »

Great car, great engine, great shape and etc....

Just remember 2 bring someone when U buy one 4 second opinion. :drool:
By the way its Golf
Golfs never die, they just get faster!!! :driving:
'09 8P S3 Sportback (MT)
'10 B8 S4 V6T (DSG)
'15 6C GTi (MT)