Caravelle 2.6i Problems!

London
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 9 months
Membership No: missing

Caravelle 2.6i Problems!

Post by London »

Hi everyone.

I wanted to give update on my previous post but because of search function not working, I couldn't find it, so I'm starting a new post.
My last post was about detonating and overheating Caravelle where I said I suspected the timming. It turned out that the sound that I thought was of detonation, was actually pistons 4 and 5 firing into one another. What I actually did was remove the cylinder head because I was conviced that the boiling of water in the coolant bottle was due to headgasket failure. I was actually right about that, and there was more to it. The gasket was leaking water at two places, both which were on piston 3, pistons 4 and 5 had a brigde, piston 1 and 2 had a brigde as well, but not as big as of 4 and 5. I took the head to engineering for skimming and testing.

I got the head back and bought other necessary stuff, then assembled everything, I used Victor Reinz gasket, new headbolts from VW,
torqued the head to specification and put everything back together. Fired up the motor, it started, took normal time to warm up but didn't stabilize at 90deg (needle middle), I saw that the temp started passing the middle which is normally abnormal for these engines if working perfect, so I switched it off, the water pipes to the radiator as well as the radiator were all cold. I thought it might be thermostat not opening, i removed it,
started the motor again, still engine got hot with boiling in the coolant bottle and radiator been cold. It would just cut by itself due to heat and wouldnt start again until after few minutes. At this stage, I was very puzzled. I did some research which pointed out that my water pump might have packed up, so i did a quick water pump test.

The way the test should be done is like this, drain about 2 liters of coolant, remove the thermostat, start the motor and the coolant should forcefully go out the thermostat hole, but the way i did my test was to leave the thermostat and just remove the water pipe from the thermostat housing, reason was because i wanted to confirm that the thermostat opens. Ok, i started the motor, there was no flow of water from the thermostat, the engine warmed up and water started flowing, but very little flow, i then revered the motor to increase water flow but still no change, i then switched off the engine as it was getting hotter. I removed the coolant bottle cap to check how much water was lost, and surprisingly, the water flowed fast out of the thermostart housing when the coolant bottle cap was off.

What i wanna ask is the following:
1. Is this the indication that the water pump has actually packed up?

2. Looking at the picture inserted, is the direction of the water through the radiator from 1 to 2, thats from engine block to the the cylinder head or is it the other way around.

If you got here in this post, then thanks for taking time to read this long post. Any other additional info or tips are most welcomed. Thanks again.
Current cars:
Golf MKV 2.0 FSI
Caravelle 2.6i Awesome car
Jetta MKII CLI 1800 8V (First car)
Jetta MKI GLS 1500 (Project car)

So you guys want to play? Bring it on!!!
MK2 G60
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 8 months
Car Make: vw
Membership No: 388

Re: Caravelle 2.6i Problems!

Post by MK2 G60 »

To be on the safe side remove and replace thermo.
You could have seen it as the unit was beging to open.Water will flow out strong when cap removed.
What happens when you turn a bottle upside down water flows less make a hole in top and water flows fast.

You have to bleed the cooling system on the combie.
Jack up the front of the bus till about 20 to 30 deg angle,fill cooling system.
Remove grill and check on radiator tank is a 13mm spanner bolt.[drivers side]
Run the motor as it starts to warm up open bolt a bit and let air come out close it and wait a bit , then open it again.Only keep the bolt open for short periods of time.
G60 16V GOLF

WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS HOW WE LIVED.

IT IS NOT UNSAFE IT IS OLD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!

ALDO IS THE MAN WITH A GUN.
THATS HOW WE ROLL [SAINT-J]
GTS KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A STICKER.
London
Cadet

Post by London »

Thanks g60. I spoke to someone who knows about these engines and he told me that he suspect that my problem might be that my bleeder hose is blocked, he said its a thin hose from the bottle to the radiator, but frankly, I dont know which hose is that. From the picture provided, can anyone show me which one it is? And g60, i'll jack the car later today and bleed it from that screw on the radiator. About the flow direction, he said that water flows from the cylinderhead, to the radiator, then back to the engine through the thermostat.

Another thing, I have two thermostats, one new and one old. Put both in and got the same results. I tested them both by putting them in cups filled with boiling water and they both opened.
Current cars:
Golf MKV 2.0 FSI

DevashC
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Membership No: 1439

Post by DevashC »

Hi

my dad had the same problem with his 1900 microbus....the problem was that there was air in the cooling system...
this happens because of the distance from the engine to the raidiator...

what you need to do as g60 said jack the combi up or park in an incline where the back is higher than the front...
open the water bottle cap ...start the engine and let it idle until operating temp....

have a hose plugged into the water bottle with water flowing...get someone to hold the engine at 2000 rpm also monitor you heat gauge..

then at the front remove the grill and with a 13mm spanner loosen the bolt on the raidiator (on the right)
once losened you will see bubbles coming off...

once all the air is out you will just see water flowing through bolt....and you cooling system is bled...
please monitor heat gauge when this process is carried out..the heat gauge should not go past halfway..

hope this helps..

regards

Devash
Current Ride:
2006 Citi 1.4i
-----------------------------
Ex : 1994 Toyota Corolla 160i Gle Hi-jacked
Ex : 2008 Polo Classic 1.6 Comfortline Hi-jacked
Ex : 2008 CiTi Storm 1.4i Hi-jacked
Ex : 2006 VELOCiTi 1.4i
Ex : 2005 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
Ex : 2006 1.4i CiTi
Ex : 2000 Jetta 4 1.9 TDI
Ex : 1995 Golf 3 GTI
90 kw and 195nm of torque
--------------------------------
MK2 G60
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 8 months
Car Make: vw
Membership No: 388

Post by MK2 G60 »

Please try bleed system first.
Water circulates in motor till it is hot then it will open thermo and flow to front of car.
When car is up in air please don't open lid at back bottle without motor running or hot as you going to lose water specially if bleed screw open.

The bleed hose that was mentioned is the thinner one on the bottle.
G60 16V GOLF

WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS HOW WE LIVED.

IT IS NOT UNSAFE IT IS OLD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!

ALDO IS THE MAN WITH A GUN.
THATS HOW WE ROLL [SAINT-J]
GTS KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A STICKER.
London
Cadet

Post by London »

Just an update, i jacked the car as suggested by g60 and bled the system but to no avail. It was important for me to know the flow direction and after l found that out, i looked at all the pipes and started applying logic to them. The arrow indicating 4 in the picture, there used to be auxillery water pump or know as electrical water pump which was busted by pressure when my car overheated way back then, i disconnected it and just joined the two pipes together.

Since i found out that water circulates from the head to the radiator then back to the engine block through the thermostat, by feeling the pipes, the only ones that got hot was those of auxillery water pump, i thought to myself that water cant get to the radiator because it just turn at those pipes and cant create enough pressure to go through the radiator. I then decided to disconnect them and block them so that water from the head goes straight to the radiator, i bled the system again and walla, water circulated to the radiator and the fan went on, the temperature stayed just above the middle as it should. I took it for a drive and the needle stay just below the middle, the was no boiling in the water bottle anymore, i think my problem is solved for now. Thanks for all ur inputs!

Another question, am i right when i say that electrical water pump stops water flow through it when not operation and only let it flow when power is applied to it? Reason im asking is because i wanna know if im damaging anything by blocking the pipes that used to connect that electrical water pump except that the engine wont get the luxury of receiving circulating water after shut down! Is there anything else thats been damaged by my actions?
Current cars:
Golf MKV 2.0 FSI

teboho
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by teboho »

Hi peeps :twisted: , i'd like to know how/which tool do you use to replace point 4 :driving: if its broken. where do I get a spare accessory. :hurray:
2226cc
Major
Registered for: 21 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2017 Cross Polo 1.2 TSI

Post by 2226cc »

You mean those green clips or the electric circulation pump that was removed in the pic?
2017 VW Cross Polo 1.2TSI
2006 VW Citi 1.4 carb
1995 VW Chico 1.3 4-speed
1989 Audi 500 turbo (the end. finally.)
teboho
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by teboho »

Those two clamps are holding a pipe connecting the two visible pipes with clamps. what I did I used a steel pipe and now its showing rust on the water.
2226cc
Major
Registered for: 21 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2017 Cross Polo 1.2 TSI

Post by 2226cc »

But it's been indicated in this thread that location #4 was where a circulation pump was installed (kinda similar to what I had in my Audi 500 turbo). That join caused overheating problems as the water "short circuits" and doesn't get to the radiator. Blocking them off fixed the problem.

Rusty water could be from other things like a blown head gasket. That could come from overheating.
2017 VW Cross Polo 1.2TSI
2006 VW Citi 1.4 carb
1995 VW Chico 1.3 4-speed
1989 Audi 500 turbo (the end. finally.)
Bostik
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by Bostik »

Have a 2.6 kombi with the 5 cyl audi engine and it seems it has a cold start problems where the cold valves are not working anymore. Once the car is running and normal Temps everything works fine.
Went to Goldwagen and they sold me 2 of the same color ones and according to some people you cannot use the same ones? Any idea what to do. Thanks

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk
DuaneAdams
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

Post by DuaneAdams »

My 2.6caravelle 5cylinder smoke when I started it.it's light blue smoke.so I replaced valve stem seals,but still smoking.The engine does not leak oil.Can someone help.I did put rings on the pistons also,new oil pump and those 2switches blue and white on the engine
MarkRo
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

Post by MarkRo »

Good Day, please let me know where I can buy the water pipes for a 2.6i Caravelle.

Thank you
Mark
Email: markgross64@gmail.com