Engine oil

Mvu
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Engine oil

Post by Mvu »

Hi everyone

Just wanted to get your thoughts and maybe experience...

There is a machenic on Tik Tok who swears by this oil (Shell Rimula R4X 15W40 - 5Litres Motor Oil). He uses it on all engine types, petrol, diesel, turbo, and NA engines.

Is there anyone else who's done this before? Your experience?

My other machenic said the older the engine, the thicker the oil should be. He once used the shell oil in the yellow bottle, 15w40, I think. That's the last time I used him.

I've always used shell ultra 5w40 and have had absolutely no issues. I do, however, think it easily burns, and I'm considering switching to 10w40.

Your thoughts?

I drive an a4 b8 1.8t with almost 380k kms.

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: Engine oil

Post by Ashveer03 »

5w or 10w (pretty much the number before the w) is the cold viscosity rating of an oil. Many threads on here explaining this.

In all owners manuals, they give u a chart with viscosity against temperature. Basically telling u what viscosity oil u may use depending on the temperature of Ur climate.

Since most wear happens on a cold engine, it's important that the spec is followed to minimise that wear. Even a 20w50 would work, but the question is for how long, since it does not have the same properties as a 5w40. And it's gonna cause havoc with hydraulic lifters, vvt systems, etc.

Thicker oils for high mileage engines in my opinion is an old tale for much older vehicles with solid tappets, no vvt etc, basic engines.
With new gen engines - stick to what the manufacturer suggests.

Owners manuals also tell u what amount of oil usage is acceptable. If the engine is burning more oil than it should, u might want to get the problem fixed rather than attempting to fix a symptom by changing the oil viscosity.

Seeing that it's a turbo charged engine, the turbo is probably causing excessive oil usage, get it checked out.

Sent from my CPH2371 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Mvu
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Mvu »

Ashveer03 wrote:5w or 10w (pretty much the number before the w) is the cold viscosity rating of an oil. Many threads on here explaining this.

In all owners manuals, they give u a chart with viscosity against temperature. Basically telling u what viscosity oil u may use depending on the temperature of Ur climate.

Since most wear happens on a cold engine, it's important that the spec is followed to minimise that wear. Even a 20w50 would work, but the question is for how long, since it does not have the same properties as a 5w40. And it's gonna cause havoc with hydraulic lifters, vvt systems, etc.

Thicker oils for high mileage engines in my opinion is an old tale for much older vehicles with solid tappets, no vvt etc, basic engines.
With new gen engines - stick to what the manufacturer suggests.

Owners manuals also tell u what amount of oil usage is acceptable. If the engine is burning more oil than it should, u might want to get the problem fixed rather than attempting to fix a symptom by changing the oil viscosity.

Seeing that it's a turbo charged engine, the turbo is probably causing excessive oil usage, get it checked out.

Sent from my CPH2371 using Tapatalk
Thank you bud for the great write-up. I also agree with sticking to the manufacturer specifications.

I'm sure I am due for an engine overhaul as these engines are known for piston and pcv issues.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Mvu wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:17 pm Hi everyone

Just wanted to get your thoughts and maybe experience...

There is a machenic on Tik Tok who swears by this oil (Shell Rimula R4X 15W40 - 5Litres Motor Oil). He uses it on all engine types, petrol, diesel, turbo, and NA engines.

Is there anyone else who's done this before? Your experience?

My other machenic said the older the engine, the thicker the oil should be. He once used the shell oil in the yellow bottle, 15w40, I think. That's the last time I used him.

I've always used shell ultra 5w40 and have had absolutely no issues. I do, however, think it easily burns, and I'm considering switching to 10w40.

Your thoughts?

I drive an a4 b8 1.8t with almost 380k kms.

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk
That's this issue, right there in bold / italic / underlined :bang: :bang: