Is the vw ATD and the AXR engines interchangable? if yes, then what external bits must I change?

yhendricks
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 months

Is the vw ATD and the AXR engines interchangable? if yes, then what external bits must I change?

Post by yhendricks »

Hey Guys.

I have a 2006 polo with a 1.9tdi ATD engine.
The car is overheating. I suspect head gasket or worse cracked head.

I decided to buy an AXR engine hoping to the ATD engine.
(The AXR engine was on a special price thus I just jumped in and bought it before doing any research)

Now that I have the AXR engine I noticed differences on the Air intake.

Has anyone done a swap like this?
What external parts must be changed to get this swap to work.
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 8 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Re: Is the vw ATD and the AXR engines interchangable? if yes, then what external bits must I change?

Post by VGTI »

Isn't that a bit extreme? Replacing the engine while it is overheating?

Could be something simple like thermostat. Are the fans running? Is it losing coolant?

What are the symptoms?
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: Is the vw ATD and the AXR engines interchangable? if yes, then what external bits must I change?

Post by Ashveer03 »

Quite difficult to blow pd TDI head gaskets if being used normal. I seen alot of jammed thermostats and broken water pumps still without a head gasket failure.

Most head problems start because of excessive boost on stock head bolts, and even then, just new headbolts and a gasket fixes it.

There aren't many differences between the axr and atd.

Just the egr housing on the axr is electronic. Atd is vacuum operated.
Most of time these get replaced with a racepipe anyways.

Axr may have a better turbo than the atd. If I'm not mistaken, local axr engines have a bv39A, import engines may differ. Atd has a kp39 - useless.

Another thing to have a look at is the injectors. Some atd injectors are slightly different.
Check the last 2 alphabets on the injectors of both engines, if they match then the engine will be a simple swap without the need of tuning. Most >2005 74kw engines should have AG Injectors. Some <2005 74kw engines have AJ.

I would have rather swapped it with an asz, otherwise not worth the effort.

Sent from my CPH2371 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving: