Jetta 1.6 Comfortline Will not start when hot.

Astroturf
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 months

Jetta 1.6 Comfortline Will not start when hot.

Post by Astroturf »

Hi,

I have a 2002 VW Jetta 1.6 Comfortline.
Currently 114k on the clock (was 109 when I got it).
1.6 SR Engine
4 Speed Automatic
I am the 2n'd owner and the last owner took it to church on Sundays and did her grocery shopping with it till she passed away so she was doing around 1000km a year.

I got it around 5 months back and have had almost no real issues besides age related wear.

When I got it I took it to VW for a full service including a Cambelt kit.

Anyway, recently it has started doing this strange intermittent thing where if it is hot the engine will not start.
It cranks and eventually I can get it to start but this is getting worse now.
The last time the car gave me an error, something like "Alternator, Workshop" as I think I had drained the battery or overheated the alternator I am pretty sure that is not the issue.

The problem is it seems to be intermittent as well. For example I park it in the sun then drive it for around 20 minutes on the highway to a shop before going home. Park at the shop, do my shopping and get back to the car 10 to 15 minutes later and it will not start.
If I take it out my garage over a weekend and drive to the shop or elsewhere, I can start it when I get back to the car.

Any suggestions as to what may be going on here?
Astroturf
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 months

Re: Jetta 1.6 Comfortline Will not start when hot.

Post by Astroturf »

Ok, The issue seems to have resolved itself.

Here is what I suspect (in case someone ever comes across this thread after having a similar issue).

There was gunk in the fuel line, tank or pump from the car standing for so long and this has finally all ended up in the filter or been worked through the car.