We're approaching the end of the year once again and I think this is one year most would love to forget!
Looking back at 2020, it has been a rough year in general, thanks to the dreaded COVID. The biggest problem we had this year was the lack of committee members for 2020. We also had our chairman @Sebz step down for personal reasons. Regarding events, because of COVID regulations, we were forced to cancel Hillclimb and Dubrun 2k2k along with various event alterations in order for us to comply with the required regulations.
Our AGM is where we vote in new committee members and re-elect those that wish to continue helping the club with events. Thus far, it appears that Kynan and Tumelo will be stepping down from committee duties at the end of this year, with myself, Mohamed, and Andry indicating that we would like to stay on.
This potentially leaves just myself, Andry, and Mohamed as committee members for 2021, and I'm happy to admit that the club needs more hands than what the three of us can offer. For one thing, the club's constitution requires a quorum of four committee members in order for the said committee to function. Without more hands, we would have no choice but to dissolve the club's assets and cease hosting events. The forum would likely run off personal contributions until these dry up. I would like to appeal to previous committee members to consider running for the committee once again. All the experience of past and present chairmen and committee members are so much more beneficial than you might think.
This is where YOU can help. We need more people to help out and learn about how the club puts events together, manages its social media channels, and services members.
- Your entry fee to most events is free,
- You get a free Club t-shirt
- You get to sacrifice a lot of your personal time for the Club
- At events, you look like you know what you are doing
- You get to listen to complaints about all the hard work you put in
- You get to learn the intricacies of running an enthusiasts' Club
- You get to meet new people when they call you late at night about club stuff (don't worry - this doesn't happen excessively often)
Be warned, pay is non-existent (unless you like peanuts) and free sunburns are included!
There are a few rules around nominations, that you need to be aware of and take into account:
- All positions on the committee are open for nomination as no-one automatically retains their position from year to year...
- Only paid-up club members may be nominated for a position on the committee.
- Only paid-up club members may nominate a person for a position on the committee.
- Only paid-up club members can vote for the committee.
- You are able to nominate yourself for a position on the committee.
- All nominations must be received in writing by me at least 14 days before the AGM. (if you would like a proxy vote, please communicate this with your proxy as well as myself)
- The Chairman and Vice-Chairman will be voted for, from 2021's elected committee positions (these positions are to be held by an individual with at least one year's experience as a committee member, even if that year of experience was not gained in 2020 - former committee members, I'm talking to you )...
- Only the Chairman and Vice-Chairman are allowed to have dual roles, i.e. Chairman/Treasurer...
- All current committee members have equal voting rights, but the chairman has the deciding vote in the event of a tie...
- Please make sure that any person you nominate for any position is willing to stand (Get their consent before placing the nomination)
Email your nomination to firstname.lastname@example.org or PM me directly
At the time of writing, the following committee member(s) have indicated that they will be up for re-election:
If you are truly passionate about the club and want to see it continue to run, please get in touch. All we ask is a few phone calls/emails to sponsors and advertisers each month, one (rarely two) night(s) a month for a committee meeting, and one event per month (December excluded). There are many opportunities to be discussed for the forthcoming year and would love you to join in the discussion of how the VW Club of South Africa is run.