Setting timing for best proformance on a 2L 8v with 272 billet cam with vernier pulley and mp9

Charl du Plessis
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 1 month

Setting timing for best proformance on a 2L 8v with 272 billet cam with vernier pulley and mp9

Post by Charl du Plessis »

Good Morning,

Trust all is well,

I have redone my head on my 2L 8v Gti mk3 and at the same time replaced the stock cam with a 272 billet cam and vernier pulley..
I am running a standard mp9.
How do I set the timing myself to get the proformance and sound out of it...Any advise will truly be appriciated..

Kind Regards
Charl du Plessis
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Setting timing for best proformance on a 2L 8v with 272 billet cam with vernier pulley and mp9

Post by PapaJo »

Vernier pulley us a waste unless more than 1,5mm was removed from the head. In your case it is mainly a cosmetic nice looking pulley now and I suggest that you set the degree mark to zero and then follow the std cam marks on the inside of the front of the cam pulley level with tappet cover on front, motor should be on TDC. Once you have done so turn motor over by hand 4 full rotations and check that timing marks are still in alignment. Then you are done. If marks does nor line up redo and repeat.

Since it is a mk3 2L motor and have aluminium tappet cover, look for an arrow in the top middle on the flat surface on the tappet cover for your cam TDC mark.
Krio
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years
Car Make: Vw and honda
Car Model: Mk1 2.0 throtts

Re: Setting timing for best proformance on a 2L 8v with 272 billet cam with vernier pulley and mp9

Post by Krio »

Hi all
I have a crossflow head with the aluminum tappet cover. When setting the cam. Doesn't look correct..
:geek: