TDI Turbo blown

Fluffyspike
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

TDI Turbo blown

Post by Fluffyspike »

So after I did about 170k km (currently on 207k) my turbo went on the way home on Monday. I am looking for a replacement for it. I have a PD100 stock ( :wink: been reading the forums a bit).Awesome writeup from Morné Pieters on his TDI upgrade ( viewtopic.php?f=11&t=186129&start=75#p2388096) but I am a new at this and need some advice.

The turbo has been taken off the engine and seems like the rod broke off. Inlet is turning and exhaust side is seized. I am cash strapped at this stage so cheaper is what I am leaning towards. So my Questions:

1) Would redo-ing the original turbo be advisable if so who is good to do in PTA/JHB region?
2) Has anyone used turbodoc before and how is their quality (Sells new turbos for 7.5k)?
3) Where do I get "86 Automotive Aluminium Billet Adapter for 96 kW Sportline Turbo Compressor outlet" if going the 96Kw route saw one on darkartz for 1k which feels alot to me (cash strapped) is there an alternative?
4) I also heard a suggestion of using a GT1739V (713-672-xxx) but have not found anyone mentioning it on the forum. This is the same connection as the original turbo (no nr3 needed) and would not need mapping?

Currently Turbo direct for a 96Kw (R8.5k) sounds good but afraid of all the extras would cost. Also do you need to do a map or can the vehicle drive without doing the map(will something break/damage)?

Lastly would be the process.
Take off all pipes(turbo to engine and IC) and clean them.
Get IC cleaned.
Do service.(Oil +filter, Diesel filter, air filter am I missing anything?)
Put it all back together again.
Prime Turbo.
Hope it works.
Do a Decat once the car is running again.
Carel040
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Re: TDI Turbo blown

Post by Carel040 »

Go to vw they are selling new turbo for 10k need to buy billet connector for outlet from goldwagen i just did the conversion on my pd100 with software all and cost me just under 15k ps flush out the whole system including cooler and chabge filters abd oil pm me if u need more info do decat aswellImageImage

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Carel040
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by Carel040 »

Mp me i have i old turbo still working pm me fir more info ImageImageImageImageImage

Fluffyspike
Enlisted

Post by Fluffyspike »

Carel040 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:44 am Go to vw they are selling new turbo for 10k need to buy billet connector for outlet from goldwagen i just did the conversion on my pd100 with software all and cost me just under 15k ps flush out the whole system including cooler and chabge filters abd oil pm me if u need more info do decat aswell

Thank you I tried Goldwagen but either I am not explaining it properly or they don't know what it is. On my 4th Branch now :oops:
VW Hatfield Quoted me R12.5K for the 96kw turbo. Tubrbo direct has a new Borg Warner for R8.5k hence I am considering the Borg Warner one rather.

I have taken the IC off and will get it cleaned now lots of oil in it. Was a bit of a mission on getting the bumper off this site showed where some bolts are (felt like nr6 was hidden for me ).
https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen ... _overview/
Fluffyspike
Enlisted

Post by Fluffyspike »

Carel040 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:59 am Mp me i have i old turbo still working pm me fir more info

Thank you for the offer but I would rather go for a new turbo as this is not an exercise I would like to repeat
Fluffyspike
Enlisted

Post by Fluffyspike »

Would something like : 6Q0145838J work perhaps?
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

Cheap option would be to redo the current turbo. Only place most would recommend is Fastec in Germiston.
Good option would be a new 96kw turbo, but only buy from VW, and call around, some are willing to go as low as R10k.

If you can afford it i would find a quality aftermarket replacement intercooler rather than cleaning the current one out. Some shops will do a great job giving yours an acid bath, but you can never be 100% sure that there's no small metal bits of the turbo embedded in the plastic intercooler tanks just waiting to come loose and ruin your new turbo. Try a good Silverton shop like the one on Eloff street, they can get you a Behr OE or a Plexus aftermarket, both are good and will be way cheaper than from VW.

Don't forget to pull the sump off and clean the oil pickup, also might find metal shards/filings from the turbo lurking down there.
86 Automotive closed iirc, but i'm sure Wes will still be able to organise a billet connector, otherwise Goldwagen Delarey.
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
Fluffyspike
Enlisted

Post by Fluffyspike »

MarshallGTi wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:35 am Cheap option would be to redo the current turbo. Only place most would recommend is Fastec in Germiston.
Good option would be a new 96kw turbo, but only buy from VW, and call around, some are willing to go as low as R10k.
The lowest Quote I got for the turbo was R10.5k from the dealers, went with the one from TurboDirect (ended up being R1k cheaper instead of R2k in hindsight VW was a better choice but that only found out once I have driven an hour to get there). Still not sure if the extra 15% for a VW priced one will be worth it.
MarshallGTi wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:35 am If you can afford it i would find a quality aftermarket replacement intercooler rather than cleaning the current one out. Some shops will do a great job giving yours an acid bath, but you can never be 100% sure that there's no small metal bits of the turbo embedded in the plastic intercooler tanks just waiting to come loose and ruin your new turbo. Try a good Silverton shop like the one on Eloff street, they can get you a Behr OE or a Plexus aftermarket, both are good and will be way cheaper than from VW.

Don't forget to pull the sump off and clean the oil pickup, also might find metal shards/filings from the turbo lurking down there.
86 Automotive closed iirc, but i'm sure Wes will still be able to organise a billet connector, otherwise Goldwagen Delarey.
The turbo failed softly I think. Only one blade on the exhaust side broke off(this side siezed) other side looks ok-ish (all blades are there but some damage). So the only metal could have come from the shaft maybe? Cleaned the IC at Silverton Radiators for R650.
Exhaust side of turbo (old)
Outlet side of turbo (old)
new turbo

As for the billet, while I was at TurboDirect I was referred to Turbo Perfect who might be able to help me with the connector. They made the connector below for R850. It looks like the output is slightly lower but further from the turbo so still hoping the pipes will reach.

Upon my inspection of the new turbo it looked like the oil feed is different but I think the missing part is still on the oil feed line (in the car). Will be hunting for a new feed line tomorrow anyone know of a place that could sell it or can it be made somewhere (if so what specs should I give them)?

Tonight it is me and the pipes..
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

U could have just went with a billet connector which is around R400 and a silicone bend which is about R200.

Cheaper, and better quality than the Pic u posted. Whoever did that utilized the oem connector which is somewhat a "muffler"

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

Ashveer03 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:00 pm U could have just went with a billet connector which is around R400 and a silicone bend which is about R200.

Cheaper, and better quality than the Pic u posted. Whoever did that utilized the oem connector which is somewhat a "muffler"

I'm kinda tempted to try make up a connector like that for my FR, i've tried 2 different billets and neither seats nicely and has a bit of play, enough to sometimes cause a boost leak. Never thought of welding something on the OE connector :razz:
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

MarshallGTi wrote:
Ashveer03 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:00 pm U could have just went with a billet connector which is around R400 and a silicone bend which is about R200.

I'm kinda tempted to try make up a connector like that for my FR, i've tried 2 different billets and neither seats nicely and has a bit of play, enough to sometimes cause a boost leak. Never thought of welding something on the OE connector :razz:
Strange, every billet connector I used had a very tight fit.

Could arrange 1 for u if u want

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Fluffyspike
Enlisted

Post by Fluffyspike »

Thanks my issue was getting a billet connector. Most of the shops don't know what I am talking about and online it is either crazy expensive or I had to wait for delivery. I am in a hurry as this is my daily car and currently not being able to drive is frustrating. But I still had to get a 50mm 90 degree bend and a 260mm long straight 50mm pipe (this ended up being too long depending on the size of the bends) to hook up to the IC. So all the piping between turbo and IC is now 50mm just the oem "muffler" that's blocking it.

That all said and done. On Saturday, Turbo was installed (still had to get a flange and a missing gasket in the morning). On Sunday Intake pipes fitted, IC and air inlet pipes to turbo. Today finished installing the items above pulled car off ramps and started it. Did not hear/feel any air leaks only the exhaust which has a slit grinded in :oops:. Bumper installed, fog lights. It had enough power to pull itself back up the ramps which is already better than it was before and installed the bottom engine cover. Ran smoothly no smoke will be taking it in tomorrow to do the decat and this will fix the slit I grinded in.
Fluffyspike
Enlisted

Post by Fluffyspike »

Lastly realized the engine cover is still in the shed, will put that back tomorrow and test the fog-lights. The question I have now is do I need to get it remapped asap or can I drive like this for a while is the only drawback that efficiency will be low or will it damage the turbo/engine like it is now?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Won't damage anything.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10