VW caddy engine swap advise

DuncanBH
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

VW caddy engine swap advise

Post by DuncanBH »

Hope I'm in the right section , I need to some advice from you guys. I have a 1986 Caddy a 1.8 polo Playa engine AFV engine code with mp9 ecu which is giving me Soo much Kak I'm done with it . So I'm looking at an engine swap here are my options
Code: BAD 1.6 16v
Code: ABF 2.0 16v
Code: AGU 1.8T 20v
Code: AZD 1.6 16V
Code: APK/AQF  2.0 8v
My budget is 20k I do have more but I'd like to keep it around there I don't need crazy power just something reliable with decent torque and good fuel economy will be lekker , if there are other engines to consider let me know
Thanks

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Aslam_mk4
SO FLUFFY, WE ALL GONNA DIE!
Registered for: 15 years 1 month
Membership No: 1824

Re: VW caddy engine swap advise

Post by Aslam_mk4 »

If you are around jhb why not pm @tazo and see if he can help fix up the current motor
Bagged mk4 2dr

"Ride or die"
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

How can such a simple setup not just work. What exactly is the issue. You are probably going to throw it out just to have a different set of issues on something else.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
DuncanBH
Enlisted

Post by DuncanBH »

I thought the same but when people who shouldn't do engine swaps actually do an engine swap it's a nightmare the wiring is so bad it almost set the car alight , because who needs fuses , it's stalling I suspect coil is gone it's pinging from intake manifold, uses oil can't find a leak, backfiring it's Soo sluggish and **** to drive I'd rather start on a fresh platform and do it properly with a motor I want

missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Stick with the tried and trusted engines so scratch the BAD and AZD engines from the list.

Those motors are not from the same engine family and would be difficult to mount properly without making structural changes to your chassis. They originate from the Polo and would require a different gearbox, because they use a different bell housing bolt pattern, further complicating the problem.

The 20vT and the 16v are both the easiest to do as there is a decent amount of aftermarket support as far as conversion parts go. They are fundamentally the same engine as the original one and should be able to use mostly stock parts to get them mounted. Stock gearbox works, but a much stronger clutch is needed.

The next one on your list, the cross flow 2.0l is also one that's been done a few times, but it much less common in stock form. The size and height of the inlet manifold is the limiting factor here, so some careful measurements are needed to make sure it all fits under the bonnet and clears the rear plenum chamber by the wiper motor. That said if it doesn't fit the solution is to follow the crowd and install throttles.

All these motors will also require supporting mods to ensure reliability as the least powerful of them makes 30% more torque than your current motor (if it worked properly). That means you will need to strengthen the drivetrain and suspension, as well as improve the braking system. None of the motors will come with wiring or management system, that you will need to supply, wire up and have tuned.

Finally remember that unless you are doing this job on your own time which costs you nothing, engine swaps are labour intensive. In other words if you are paying to get it done, it costs lots of money.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

ABF motor is selling around 18k lately from adverts I’ve seen. 20vt around 11k to 15k depending on condition and where you buy. Then you still need to add the cost for aftermarket ecu and other items needed to make it all work. Budget should at least be 40k to cover these conversions.

When paying to get this done and not DIY takes more money too.

Agree with other comments from missioner and panic.
DuncanBH
Enlisted

Post by DuncanBH »

Just and update decide to pull my 2L out from the Citi and put it in the Caddy did all the work myself except the exhaust which should be done today Image

Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

DuncanBH wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:39 am Just and update decide to pull my 2L out from the Citi and put it in the Caddy did all the work myself except the exhaust which should be done today Image

Wow

What a quick change of things there and hope things work out for you.
Is it idling yet?

Must say thumbs up to @Panic, @Missioner & @Papajo for useful detailed information.
Useful thread for future for sure.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
DuncanBH
Enlisted

Post by DuncanBH »

Unobeat wrote:
DuncanBH wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:39 am Just and update decide to pull my 2L out from the Citi and put it in the Caddy did all the work myself except the exhaust which should be done today Image

Wow

What a quick change of things there and hope things work out for you.
Is it idling yet?

Must say thumbs up to @Panic, @Missioner & @Papajo for useful detailed information.
Useful thread for future for sure.
Yup idling perfect and running like a dream decide to replace with ffz gearbox and a 276cam as well so it's feeling like a new car Image thanks for all the advise

DuncanBH
Enlisted

Post by DuncanBH »

I'm going to get some Kak for this but I liked the idea of two tail pipes so I decided to go ahead with it , got the car back today everythings going great so far Image

Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

DuncanBH wrote:I'm going to get some Kak for this but I liked the idea of two tail pipes so I decided to go ahead with it , got the car back today everythings going great so far Image

Your car, ur choice buddy. Doesn't look to bad anyways, I seen a caddy with the American style truck exhaust kinda thing, coming out the bin lol

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
DuncanBH
Enlisted

Post by DuncanBH »

This is what it's sounding like I'm happy with the results//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5d25d9da9bb ... WA0019.mp4

Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

DuncanBH wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:28 pm This is what it's sounding like I'm happy with the results//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5d25d9da9bb ... WA0019.mp4

Does not sound bad at all and glad that it running nicely.
Enjoy it :thumbup:
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Well done on doing the swap yourself. Saved you some money there. What is going in the Citi without motor now?
DuncanBH
Enlisted

Post by DuncanBH »

PapaJo wrote:Well done on doing the swap yourself. Saved you some money there. What is going in the Citi without motor now?
Well I'm thinking of just putting the old 1.4 carb back and selling the car

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Looking through your pictures on motor swap, Dicktator ecu laying in the rain tray is not a good idea. Please move it to inside the cabin. It does not work well when it gets wet.
DuncanBH
Enlisted

Post by DuncanBH »

PapaJo wrote:Looking through your pictures on motor swap, Dicktator ecu laying in the rain tray is not a good idea. Please move it to inside the cabin. It does not work well when it gets wet.
It was just there while I was pushing the loom through to the cabin Image the mp9 ecu that was running the 1.8 was there

Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

PapaJo wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:52 pm Looking through your pictures on motor swap, Dicktator ecu laying in the rain tray is not a good idea. Please move it to inside the cabin. It does not work well when it gets wet.
:iagree:
DuncanBH
Enlisted

Post by DuncanBH »

That's the ecu placement on passenger side Image

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

DuncanBH wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:37 pm That's the ecu placement on passenger side Image

:thumbup: