Sebz
Lieutenant
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 135i E82 N54 ST 6MT
Membership No: 3020

Re: Your DSG experience

Post by Sebz »

panic-mechanic wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:04 am I have said it before and will maintain that opinion, you must understand how dsg/dct boxes work and somewhat modify your driving behaviour to suit what it does and to ensure longevity. Treating it like a torque converter auto will see it die shortly.
+11111
Single turbo BMW 135i N54 6MT

Ex's:
Brilliant BMW 135i E82 N55 6MT
Stupidly static THANAS Tuned '05 Audi A4 B7 2.0T FSi

Definitely down-to-earth '03 Audi A3 8L 1.8T
Ludicrously lowered K04 '03 Audi A4 Avant B6 1.8T
Sorta slammed '15 VW Polo Vivo GT 1.6
Stock standard '05 Opel Corsa D Ute 1.4
Ridiculously reliable '81 VW Passat CSL Estate 2.2 5-pot

It's not how you stand by your car; it's how you scrape your car. You better learn that.
Ghostfacekilla
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf GTi 7.5

Post by Ghostfacekilla »

PeanutGTD wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:18 pm this is probably not going to be a popular opinion...

i had a BMW with a 7 speed DCT gearbox and that trumps the 6 speed DSG in my 2018 GTD to pieces.
I totally agree with this, the gearbox on my F20 is brilliant.

My Polo 6R GTi mech failed on 57000km and was replaced under warranty but the car was never the same, hard shifting, jerking. I have since had a very bad impression of the DSG.

Since moving back to the VW brand, I now drive a MK 7.5 GTi and I must say that now on 16 000Km the box is brilliant, and is a total different beast in sport mode. :troll:
“It is not by muscle, speed, or physical dexterity that great things are achieved, but by reflection, force of character, and judgment”

CURRENT: GTI MK 7.5
EX: E90 LCI 320d Msport
EX: F20 118i Msport
EX: Polo 1.6 TDI 6R
EX: Polo 1.9 TDI 9n Sportline
PROJECT: MK2 GTI Jumbo
PeanutGTD
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 3 months

Post by PeanutGTD »

Ghostfacekilla wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:07 am
PeanutGTD wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:18 pm this is probably not going to be a popular opinion...

i had a BMW with a 7 speed DCT gearbox and that trumps the 6 speed DSG in my 2018 GTD to pieces.
I totally agree with this, the gearbox on my F20 is brilliant.

My Polo 6R GTi mech failed on 57000km and was replaced under warranty but the car was never the same, hard shifting, jerking. I have since had a very bad impression of the DSG.

Since moving back to the VW brand, I now drive a MK 7.5 GTi and I must say that now on 16 000Km the box is brilliant, and is a total different beast in sport mode. :troll:
I also had a F20 before my E82 and the sport mode in the F20 actually did something. in my GTD all i have is gearbox sport and that to me doesn't do much of anything. i tested it with overtaking, so i shoved it back into sport and hit the gas and nothing much happend. next overtake i was in normal D and dropped one gear with the paddles and that was much better. i have no idea how the GTI and GTD gearboxes compare at all, the main difference is obviously with the engines.
dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

I have had 2 DSG/S-tronic equipped cars, one needed mechatronics replacement by about 75000km's and the other was still perfect in the 90000km range. Overall I think they were pretty reliable though. I still prefer a manual though to be honest and would still be my first choice
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
Ram013
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Allspace 2.0 TSI Highline

Post by Ram013 »

dazza wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:15 pm I have had 2 DSG/S-tronic equipped cars, one needed mechatronics replacement by about 75000km's and the other was still perfect in the 90000km range. Overall I think they were pretty reliable though. I still prefer a manual though to be honest and would still be my first choice
Mechatronics used to be a big issue, I'm otpimistic that by now, they sorted out whatever design issues they had.
Ex:
'09 Mk5 GTI DSG(My definition of happiness)
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'98 Fiesta 1.3(Ford, never again)
'90 Sentra 1.3
Pik Sooter
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: MK2 Q5 3.0T l MK2 TT Roadster
Membership No: 1893

Post by Pik Sooter »

panic-mechanic wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:04 am I have said it before and will maintain that opinion, you must understand how dsg/dct boxes work and somewhat modify your driving behaviour to suit what it does and to ensure longevity. Treating it like a torque converter auto will see it die shortly.
Torque converter in my Hilux vs. DSG in the Golf are worlds apart. The Torque converter is a lot more rough in the shifts, but in-gear acceleration is instant and smooth. The DGS on the other hand, you have to sort of ease into it about 45/50% before planting it in-gear. Overall, still prefer the DSG though.
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

Pik Sooter wrote:
Torque converter in my Hilux vs. DSG in the Golf are worlds apart. The Torque converter is a lot more rough in the shifts, but in-gear acceleration is instant and smooth. The DGS on the other hand, you have to sort of ease into it about 45/50% before planting it in-gear. Overall, still prefer the DSG though.
The Toyota Auto is more built for reliability , and the rough effect is mostly pause in lock up , you'll see the 8 speed ZF is very quick and smooth

Sent from my CPH1717 using Tapatalk

Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
PoLonY
Gimme sausage. The thicker the better!
Registered for: 14 years 9 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A8
Membership No: 1997

Post by PoLonY »

Kavi4GP wrote:
Pik Sooter wrote:
The Toyota Auto is more built for reliability , and the rough effect is mostly pause in lock up , you'll see the 8 speed ZF is very quick and smooth

Even the 6spd torque converter box in my RS6 is smooth and I enjoy it far more than the DSG box in my wife’s Tiguan

Nice thing with the RS6 is the gearchanges have the DSG style ignition cut under heavy acceleration whilst being docile and easy to drive in normal conditions

It’s a fantastic old school auto box

I usually drive in manual mode anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aslam MK3,4,5,6 GTI
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Aslam MK3,4,5,6 GTI »

Howsit Guys

i need some help

My 2010 mk6 gti dsg makes a "clunk noise" when downshifting in drive and no issues in sport.

some say its the clutches

i checked the dsg oil and no faults on the computer as well...

can any one assist or maybe had the same issue
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

Aslam MK3,4,5,6 GTI wrote:Howsit Guys

i need some help

My 2010 mk6 gti dsg makes a "clunk noise" when downshifting in drive and no issues in sport.

some say its the clutches

i checked the dsg oil and no faults on the computer as well...

can any one assist or maybe had the same issue
Clutch ? TCU? Service ? Few problems can cause that.

Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX