Imotions
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK2 CSL

288 Cam and Stock 2.0 8v

Post by Imotions »

Howsit Gents

I know this must of been posted a million times but I cant seem to find the correct answer

simple if I add a 288 cam with vernier pulley to my 2.0 8v is it still drivable with out tuning now?

I will eventually tune it once im complete with the mods I have which should be around next month or so

just wanted to know if I can still drive the car around with the cam and with it not being tuned I kow its going to chow petrol I don't mind coz its not going to be everyday driven just want to make sure it wont damage anything or so on

cheers
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: 288 Cam and Stock 2.0 8v

Post by panic-mechanic »

Carb ? Management? You give no supporting info yet expect a reply.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

panic-mechanic wrote:Carb ? Management? You give no supporting info yet expect a reply.
+1

A 288° is a pretty wild cam. If you just drop it in without tuning anything the car won't run well at all. Rather wait till the car and you are at the tuner and have them fit it and set up the car same time. Also a 288 is rubbish to drive unless you are racing. A 272 or 276 will be better for a street car. The cam will sacrifice all the low end torque that makes a 2l 8v so much fun.

A vernier pulley is used to set a cam back to TDC if you install a highly skimmed head to increase the CR of the motor. It compensates for the belt being longer. On a stock head it does nothing except look cool and does not increase performance.

Advice use it or don't it's up to you.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Imotions
Cadet

Post by Imotions »

Sorry honourable panic-mechanic i am running dictator std..... @missioner just what i was looking for... now i need to find someone willing to swap with me.... oh and how do i see what brand is the cam i seen on the side it has288 but nothing else to say who made it

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk
chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Model: Citi ADY

Post by chucker02 »

I had a 282 in my previous car. Used it as my daily. It was carb(at some point standard carb and weber) and it was very driveable. It did sacrifice low down torque as missioner said but not so bad that you had to rev it to get going. I have heard stories that people say the 282 is better than a 288. Dont know how true that is but for me the 282 is the perfect cam for a 2.0L daily so if you can maybe consider a 282 rather than a 288 as it will be more driveable.
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle
Imotions
Cadet

Post by Imotions »

Hi guys which would actually be best for all round performance as a daily and those free spirit runs 272 276 282 or stuck with the 288?

WeirdSteam
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Model: A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI

Post by WeirdSteam »

On a 2.0 the best alrounder is a 282
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=187220
Have a look at the graph there for the difference in torque and power

As for you original question. Yes you have to retune. Specially on aftermarket. It will be rich below and lean on top.
But everybody and his brother claim to be a dicktator master tuner so it should not be hard to get that done.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Imotions
Cadet

Post by Imotions »

Hi panic-mechanic thanks alot... as for tuning ive done it before with rbts and was happy with the outcome so im going to stick to them also because of the reputation they got

Grapes420
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years

Post by Grapes420 »

Could I put a 288 cam with vernier pulley on a 2l 8v carb?
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Grapes420 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:21 pm Could I put a 288 cam with vernier pulley on a 2l 8v carb?
Read the replies above this post. Missioner and others gave their opinions and experiences.

In short 288 with std head and std carb will be a bad combination and not perfirming as you would expect. Might sound lumpy on idle and a std 1800 might just still beat you robot to robot. Supporting mods to the head like gas flow and valves and a bit of skim on the head with a weber dcd7 or side draughts and branch or aftermarket management FI is going to give you better results.

Vernier pulley is only required when the head is skimmed to get the valve timing and cambelt back to where it should be.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yes you could do it but yes everything else untouched will probably not make it worth while or work well.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Herman Potgieter
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Herman Potgieter »

Hello i have a 1.8 kr motor going to put a 2L head and a 276 288 cam in . And a 32 36 dc weber carb , the carb have bigger jets for a 3.4L v6 motor . What power will i be abel to make and must i awans my cam to 2° ?
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by Yakuza Racer »

Herman Potgieter wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:53 am Hello i have a 1.8 kr motor going to put a 2L head and a 276 288 cam in . And a 32 36 dc weber carb , the carb have bigger jets for a 3.4L v6 motor . What power will i be abel to make and must i awans my cam to 2° ?
you'll make as much power as.... well how long is a piece of string? :violin:
Thupercharged S4
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Hang on. You have a 16v block. Are you installing a 8v head? You are saying a cam and a carb. Which makes me think 8v head.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

8v head on 16v bottom end is too high compression ratio.
gPhilipC
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 10 months
Car Model: Golf MK5 tdi, Caddy Utility

Post by gPhilipC »

I have a 298 in my 2l 8v with spitronics management, i have individual throttles along with a branch and a free flow, and i must say she runs very well. It is a standard motor as far as i know and the guy who built the motor told me so. I need to get it tuned though as it is somewhat rich and the limiter sits at 5500rpm(weird). As soon as i get the gearbox fixed ill get it to a someone for a tune and dino. Yes it is my daily and its not to bad... it idles between 1100 and 1200rpm. anything lower than that and it starts to stutter in traffic. There is a flat spot here in traffic but you learn how to drive them.

if someone can refer a good spitronic person i will appreciate. (Pretoria Centurion are or anywhere in Gauteng if they know)
Ex Rides

VW beetle 1600
Yamaha RZ 350 YPVS Full racing spec motor
VW Beetle 1.8 Motor
Jetta 2 1.8 (Stolen)
Jetta 2 1.8 (was in a sad state when i bought it)
1998 BMW 235 TDS (Respect for the diesel)
VW Citi 1.3
VW Jetta 3
2007 Kawasaki Verses 650
1996 Nissan 1400 AKA "scrappy"

Current Rides

2005 VW 1.9tdi - decat, and tune...
2001 VW Caddy Utlilty - 2l, standard block and head, throttles, branch, free-flow, 298 cam, spitronics management.
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Herman Potgieter wrote:Hello i have a 1.8 kr motor going to put a 2L head and a 276 288 cam in . And a 32 36 dc weber carb , the carb have bigger jets for a 3.4L v6 motor . What power will i be abel to make and must i awans my cam to 2° ?
Some if you can get it to run.

Highly doubtful if the motor will even turn a full revolution. The protrusion of the piston from the block will possibly be a problem in this case. The piston could press against the head at TDC.

As for the carb, it's very over jetted for a 1.8l motor, could well end up with fuel washing the cylinders and killing the motor, that's if one could make it lean enough to even fire in the first place. A stock carb will be sufficient to get the motor to work.

Pal I think you need to go back to the drawing board on this build and do more research regarding proven builds.
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

gPhilipC wrote:I have a 298 in my 2l 8v with spitronics management, i have individual throttles along with a branch and a free flow, and i must say she runs very well. It is a standard motor as far as i know and the guy who built the motor told me so. I need to get it tuned though as it is somewhat rich and the limiter sits at 5500rpm(weird). As soon as i get the gearbox fixed ill get it to a someone for a tune and dino. Yes it is my daily and its not to bad... it idles between 1100 and 1200rpm. anything lower than that and it starts to stutter in traffic. There is a flat spot here in traffic but you learn how to drive them.

if someone can refer a good spitronic person i will appreciate. (Pretoria Centurion are or anywhere in Gauteng if they know)
Check the spitronics add in a car or SnS mag. Approved fitment centers have little block ads on the same page.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

missioner wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:53 pm
gPhilipC wrote:I have a 298 in my 2l 8v with spitronics management, i have individual throttles along with a branch and a free flow, and i must say she runs very well. It is a standard motor as far as i know and the guy who built the motor told me so. I need to get it tuned though as it is somewhat rich and the limiter sits at 5500rpm(weird). As soon as i get the gearbox fixed ill get it to a someone for a tune and dino. Yes it is my daily and its not to bad... it idles between 1100 and 1200rpm. anything lower than that and it starts to stutter in traffic. There is a flat spot here in traffic but you learn how to drive them.

Check the spitronics add in a car or SnS mag. Approved fitment centers have little block ads on the same page.
Spitronics head office is in Pretoria. Go on their website and you can get their address and contact details.