CarLoss
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Caddy MK3

Light TDI whine

Post by CarLoss »

Hi

So I’ve done software and decat on my 1.9 tdi and about a week later I’ve noticed a light turbo whine, almost like a subtle police siren.

Inaudible if radio is turned up.

Ive also noticed an oil leak from the EGR valve before I did the mods.

Will upload an image of it.

Thanks
TDi
CarLoss
Cadet

Re: Light TDI whine

Post by CarLoss »

TDi
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

The slight whine is just the turbo spooling and they are always more audible after decat.
The image appears to be of a boost pipe join. I can't see the egr valve in the picture.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
CarLoss
Cadet

Post by CarLoss »

panic-mechanic wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:43 am The slight whine is just the turbo spooling and they are always more audible after decat.
The image appears to be of a boost pipe join. I can't see the egr valve in the picture.
Apologies here is the correct photo

https://ibb.co/4fW7tnB

After the decat the whine wasn’t there. It only came about a week or two later.
TDi
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

very hard to comment on noises. All turbo charged cars have the sound of a turbo spoolig. impossible to judge the level of the noise IE. is a problem without actually hearing it.
You need to remove the valve and see where the oil comes form. Can be through the diapraghm in which case it's toast. Could be a leak on the gasket or join in which case can be tightened or sealant and then tighten. The photo does not show what you can see if you look at from other perspectives.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

CarLoss
Cadet

Post by CarLoss »

panic-mechanic wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:46 pm very hard to comment on noises. All turbo charged cars have the sound of a turbo spoolig. impossible to judge the level of the noise IE. is a problem without actually hearing it.
You need to remove the valve and see where the oil comes form. Can be through the diapraghm in which case it's toast. Could be a leak on the gasket or join in which case can be tightened or sealant and then tighten. The photo does not show what you can see if you look at from other perspectives.
Oh ok well today I pulled off out my driveway and I heard a loud dump like sound and the car lost power. Its idling but not accelerating whatsoever. If I put my foot flat it just makes black smoke. Any idea what it could be, hopefully it’s not gonna be one of the TDi cases where it ends up costing a fortune
TDi
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Boost pipe popped off or broken, rubber hose popped or slipped off a boost pipe or intercooler, intercooler tank failure or worst case scenario is that the the turbo itself went poof.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Black smoke is most likely just a pipe off. If it is tons of white / blue smoke then turbo went kapoof.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

CarLoss
Cadet

Post by CarLoss »

panic-mechanic wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:41 pm Black smoke is most likely just a pipe off. If it is tons of white / blue smoke then turbo went kapoof.
Eish, i took out intercooler pipe and some oil came out. Put the pipe back and started it, white smoke and engine cut. Not looking good :|
TDi
SoDub
Chairman
Chairman
Registered for: 15 years 1 month
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Seat Ibiza Cupra 20VT
Membership No: 1998

Post by SoDub »

Police siren whine is the start of the end for a tdi turbo.

The black smoke and no power should be a boost pipe issue. As mentioned white smoke is a blown turbo.

When my first tdi turbo popped there was no smoke, just a klink sound and the engine died. Car wouldn't start - pulled the top boost pipe open and it idled.
Current
El Toro
2009 Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8T(El Toro)

Blossom
2007 Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.9TDi(Blossom)

Ex
Turbo Killer Sportline
2007 - Polo TDI Sportline
"I live my life 1 turbo at a time."
CarLoss
Cadet

Post by CarLoss »

SoDub wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:24 pm Police siren whine is the start of the end for a tdi turbo.

The black smoke and no power should be a boost pipe issue. As mentioned white smoke is a blown turbo.

When my first tdi turbo popped there was no smoke, just a klink sound and the engine died. Car wouldn't start - pulled the top boost pipe open and it idled.
Mine was sucking oil into the intake I think. Not going to try starting it because theres no oil in the engine, but it was idling fine when I disconnected intercooler pipe so not sure if it is indeed the turbo. Taking it to a garage on Monday so will keep you guys posted.

Ps: i spoke to a guy and he said something about an oil breather/catch can thing?
TDi
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

If the oil level is low then blown turbo. Price an new one at turbo direct. They often have specials for those at stupid low prices.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

CarLoss
Cadet

Post by CarLoss »

panic-mechanic wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:52 am If the oil level is low then blown turbo. Price an new one at turbo direct. They often have specials for those at stupid low prices.
Yep... confirmed turbo is blown.

Thanks will check them out. Any other places to check with, just to price around.
TDi
SoDub
Chairman
Chairman

Post by SoDub »

panic-mechanic wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:52 am If the oil level is low then blown turbo. Price an new one at turbo direct. They often have specials for those at stupid low prices.
Nonononono@Turbo Direct... Please do a search on here and hellopeter to see all the beautiful threads about them :popcorn:
Many forum members are still in a legal battle with the owner.
Current
El Toro

Blossom

Ex
Turbo Killer Sportline
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

CarLoss wrote:

Thanks will check them out. Any other places to check with, just to price around.
Agents about 10k for a Bv39, goldwagen around the same price..

Best bet is send it to Gaby at Fastec, he's a legend. Will cost u around 6k for a full rebuild and billet comp wheel

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
CarLoss
Cadet

Post by CarLoss »

Ashveer03 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:33 am
CarLoss wrote:

Best bet is send it to Gaby at Fastec, he's a legend. Will cost u around 6k for a full rebuild and billet comp wheel

How will the bv39 fit if the flange is triangular and the normal one looks smaller
TDi
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Turbo direct is a legit OE supplier for garrett. The stories you have heard was based on rumour and false info. Do yourself a favour and go and look at their setup. You can also verify the authenticity of the product they sell you buy going to the honeywell / garrett website and putting the serial number in and it will show you that it is a authentic turbo. You will save yourself thousands of rands for the exact same setup.
For recon - yes sure go visit Gaby. But price a new one first - you might be surprised.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

I've actually done this, with the serial no. of a Honeywell-Garrett turbo that I bought not at turbo direct, but at Goldwagen. The H-G website took me to a catalogue with the corresponding OE part number, engine codes and vehicle details that include my TDI. They also have a section explaining how to determine OE, IAM, new vs. remanufactured etc. from the part no, and what the typical name plates should look like.

I do wonder whether I could have bought the same turbo much cheaper at turbo direct, though...
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

CarLoss wrote:
Ashveer03 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:33 am
CarLoss wrote:

How will the bv39 fit if the flange is triangular and the normal one looks smaller
What Flange is triangular?

Turbos are universal on the 1.9s

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Triangle flange is a petrol 1.8t. On the diesel the exhaust housing is cast in one piece with the manifold. You get it complete when you buy a new one.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

CarLoss
Cadet

Post by CarLoss »

Managed to get a 96kw bv39 they're putting it together so lets see how it goes. hopefully will make a lot more power
TDi
SoDub
Chairman
Chairman

Post by SoDub »

panic-mechanic wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:34 am Turbo direct is a legit OE supplier for garrett. The stories you have heard was based on rumour and false info. Do yourself a favour and go and look at their setup. You can also verify the authenticity of the product they sell you buy going to the honeywell / garrett website and putting the serial number in and it will show you that it is a authentic turbo. You will save yourself thousands of rands for the exact same setup.
For recon - yes sure go visit Gaby. But price a new one first - you might be surprised.
I have dealt with the owner first hand and reserve my rights to have an opinion about his ethics - workmanship was horrific on a turbo repair I had done by them a few years back. Sure, the turbo supplied was a genuine Garrett at a good price but if you have any issues with it forget about a warranty of any sort from them.
Last edited by SoDub on Thu May 23, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current
El Toro

Blossom

Ex
Turbo Killer Sportline
SoDub
Chairman
Chairman

Post by SoDub »

Shop around the VW dealers for the best pricing on a replacement BV39 - Pricing varies quite a bit.
Current
El Toro

Blossom

Ex
Turbo Killer Sportline
SoDub
Chairman
Chairman

Post by SoDub »

CarLoss wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:50 am Managed to get a 96kw bv39 they're putting it together so lets see how it goes. hopefully will make a lot more power
Let us know how it goes, make sure the guys do a proper install, new filters, new drain and feed, and clean out everything 200% that goes back in.
Current
El Toro

Blossom

Ex
Turbo Killer Sportline
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

CarLoss wrote:Managed to get a 96kw bv39 they're putting it together so lets see how it goes. hopefully will make a lot more power
Will only make alot more power if there's a tune for it. Other than that, there's not gonna be much gain from just swapping out turbos