Abominable_Snowman
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline

SOLVED: ABS ESC error 01130 - ABS Operation: Implausible Signal

Post by Abominable_Snowman »

Hi guys

Okay so, last Saturday I had the car idling to warm up as usual before I could hit the road. As I start moving, the ABS and ESC lights pop up. These lights have not gone away.

So, tried clearing the codes with an OBD scanner and app -(that didn't work).
Asked a mate for a favor and hooked the car up to VCDS. Picked up an ABS error (01101000). Cleared the codes, switched the ignition on and off and ran a new scan and got this error: 01130 - ABS Operation: Implausible Signal

That keeps coming up. After scanning during a test drive, my mate says that the front right has a voltage that seems to have a large variance compared to the other wheels.

I've checked the sensor, it was faulty, replaced it and the error is still there. I've also checked the wiring, that seems to be okay.

Some research suggests it could be a wheel bearing or the abs module.

Thoughts on this?
Last edited by Abominable_Snowman on Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremiah Naicker | Durban
05' VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline (Sold)
'06 Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDI FR (Sold)
'12 VW Jetta VI 1.2 TSI (Sold)
'15 Ford Figo 1.4 (Sold)
'01 Fiat Palio 1.2 (Sold)
'95 VW Citi Golf 1.3 (Sold)
'91 BMW 318i (Sold)
'89 Opel Kadett SR (Sold)
Abdullah
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Re: ABS ESC error

Post by Abdullah »

This happened to me with my audi, after replacing my wheel bearings they damaged the sensor, if i remember correctly if was the wheel speed sensor but it would happen now and then. Never got around to sorting it out
Abominable_Snowman
Cadet

@Abdullah shucks man, sorry dude. Best you get it sorted though, a friend of mine suggested that if it's left unchecked it could lead to other problems.

I'm going to get another wheel bearing tomorrow and Jack the car up to fit it. Hopefully it sorts everything out
'15 Ford Figo 1.4 (Sold)
'91 BMW 318i (Sold)
Pik Sooter
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: MK2 Q5 3.0T l MK2 TT Roadster
Membership No: 1893

Post by Pik Sooter »

ABS and ESC light is wheel bearing. Had the exact same issue on my Jetta. Both lights came on, lost all breaking control, scanned the car, ABS sensor implausible signal. Bought 2 new front ABS sensors, took car to a trusted mackie to fit, phones me about an hour later, tells me the front right wheel bearing is shot. Decided to replace both right and left hubs/bearings and also install new ABS sensors, sorted the problem right out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Abominable_Snowman
Cadet

@Pik thanks man, you've confirmed my suspicions. I just replaced the sensor and the error is still present. Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I will be replacing the bearings this week and I'll post an update on the result
'15 Ford Figo 1.4 (Sold)
'91 BMW 318i (Sold)
Abominable_Snowman
Cadet

Update: So I have replaced the bearing hub and the sensor, the vibration has reduced greatly below 120 km/h. However a more pronounced vibration occurs over 120. I have taken the car in for balancing, alignment, checked for warped wheels as well. No negative news on those, so I now suspect it could be my cv joints, what do you guys think?
'15 Ford Figo 1.4 (Sold)
'91 BMW 318i (Sold)
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

anything is possible. But a cv that will make vibration almost surely have to make noise too. Unless it has gone all dry but then there should be obvious grease all over the place.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Abominable_Snowman
Cadet

panic-mechanic wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:11 am anything is possible. But a cv that will make vibration almost surely have to make noise too. Unless it has gone all dry but then there should be obvious grease all over the place.
I've pulled the wheel off and had a look around for grease, couldn't see any, the boots still look intact. The cv does have some rotational play (held onto the brake disc and tried to rotate it, had some play before it turned the axle. Could this play be indicative of damage?

Couldn't hear the usual clicking noise when turning full lock, however, at high speeds, there is that vibration at high speed and also has vibration during acceleration (should have mentioned that).

Thanks for the feedback Panic, I have a mate coming over today to help with the diagnosis. I'll post an update afterward
'15 Ford Figo 1.4 (Sold)
'91 BMW 318i (Sold)
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Vibration during acceleration might be inner cv joints.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Abominable_Snowman
Cadet

panic-mechanic wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:25 am Vibration during acceleration might be inner cv joints.
Yup, I believe so too. So after running VCDS again, still no luck in resolving the ABS issue. I'll be putting the car on stands this weekend and I'll have to test cabling from one end to the other to hopefully find the gremlin.

If time permits, I'll also change out the CV's and post an update.
'15 Ford Figo 1.4 (Sold)
'91 BMW 318i (Sold)
Pik Sooter
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: MK2 Q5 3.0T l MK2 TT Roadster
Membership No: 1893

Post by Pik Sooter »

Abominable_Snowman wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:50 pm
panic-mechanic wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:25 am Vibration during acceleration might be inner cv joints.
Yup, I believe so too. So after running VCDS again, still no luck in resolving the ABS issue. I'll be putting the car on stands this weekend and I'll have to test cabling from one end to the other to hopefully find the gremlin.

If time permits, I'll also change out the CV's and post an update.
Sorry that you still facing these issues bud. Think of it this way, if you find the problem, let's say it's inner CV's, by the time you have changed that, your front suspension setup will be almost completely overhauled. LOL
Abominable_Snowman
Cadet

SOLVED!

Hey guys, I know it's taken a while, but I have finally managed to get this resolved. As it turns out, it was unfortunately my ABS pump. A repair was attempted, however unsuccessful.

After speaking to a few ABS repair shops, I was told that it cannot be repaired.

VW quoted me something stupid for a replacement, so I found one second hand. Matched the pump info and installed it on Monday evening.

Last night I set about coding it and 15 minutes later, all the errors disappeared.

Did an ABS pump bleed using VCDS followed by the usual 4 wheel bleed and everything is good now.

Just a side note, once you replace the pump, you will in all likeliness have to code the pump. Be sure to copy your previous pumps coding and save it on a notepad or something to use on the new pump.

Here's a video tutorial on coding the pump using VCDS::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tID9NUBBkLY&t=524s

Hope this info helps anyone else stuck with the same issue.
'15 Ford Figo 1.4 (Sold)
'91 BMW 318i (Sold)