New (old) Jetta 4 1.9 tdi Issues and repair log

ED van Greunen
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 10 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: 2003 mk 4 jetta 1.9 tdi

New (old) Jetta 4 1.9 tdi Issues and repair log

Post by ED van Greunen »

This is a repair log im keeping on issues and repairs on my 2003 vw jetta 1.9 TDI. Feel free to comment or share input. to skip the gibirish scroll down

So i picked up my run around Jetta 4 tdi to help with fuel costs as im new to jhb and not keen on another winter on the bike! Neither am i keen on the Fuel bill of my Hyundai Tucson. Drove it up from Durban yesterday and averaged dam near 20km/l with no real issues. however there are some issues as to be expected with a 16 year old car. Final price i paid was R40 000 - 248 000 kms. preliminary COR inspection failed on 2 front tyres, oil sweat on sump - no leaks, and drivers side brake light not working which really isnt bad at all. Lucky i already have a German motorcycle so i dont need an entire new toolbox yet.

Issues are as follows:
1) after market radio permanently on
2) central locking doesnt unlock
3) Intermittent door latch passenger side
4) not at all working module rear passenger side
5) Doors and boot open symbols not showing on dash
6) no warning sound if lights are on and drivers door open
7) slight click from engine when accelerate and again decelerate. doesnt do it when i use the brakes
8 ) spongy brakes
9) Noisy suspension bushings
10) Electric windows operate even if car is completely off after 1 hour
11) drivers window only opens on one touch
12) intermittent noisy starter motor after its engaged

i will try my best keeping a log of the repairs done and costs. some input or direction to previous discussions on here would be appreciated
'Racecar' is 'racecar' spelled backwards
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: New (old) Jetta 4 1.9 tdi Issues and repair log

Post by panic-mechanic »

Items 2-6 plus 10 and possibly even 1 relates to faulty, dead door locks. So it never sees the car fully locked and closed and thus keep items alive.
7 - possibly dog bone mount.
11 - replace the window switch in the door.
12 - common - take out - clean or replace the clutch on the pinion drive.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3
Membership No: missing

Post by Killerwatt »

1) most likely the switched positive on the radio wiring harness was connected to the permanent positive on the vehicle harness.

2/3/4/6/10/11 are likely to be issues on the micro switches within the door locks. Common issue on the mk4. Ether replace the locks or fix them with new micro-switches.

7) look at the lower pendulum mount that attaches the gearbox to the subframe or loose stuff in general

8) most likely that master cylinder needs to be bled. But check for leaks and bleed the entire system.

10) get tt bushings as upgrades.
ED van Greunen
Cadet

Post by ED van Greunen »

Thanks for quick replies. nothing is in specific order and i do believe cleaning the modules will sort most issues.

started with issue 1 yesterday. had a quick look before i was dragged to a sushi special nearby. could not remove aftermarket radio with the kitchen knives i had. A check on the fuse box indicated the radio wired completely separate. after removing both fuses allocated for radio it was still on. did find the button to detach the face. sorry not much experience with these aftermarkets. left it detached the whole night. got in the car this morning and newish battery barely had enough to get the car started. so seems i have the dreaded battery drain too which i initially thought was the radio. will trouble shoot further
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Start with the door locks. They will be responsible for most of your issues. The car's systems including the canbus does not go to sleep if there are issues with the door locks. It basically never sees the car locked and thus never powers down most of the consumers.
Then also go on a hunt for tracking units....
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

Out of interest: Were all Mk4s canbus already? Or is there a way to find out whether a certain car is canbus or not?
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3
Membership No: missing

Post by Killerwatt »

Mk4s ran dual K line. Similar to canbus just an earlier protocol.
ED van Greunen
Cadet

Post by ED van Greunen »

Thanks guys. needed to do some research on what a 'canbus' is and makes complete sense now. Love this forum and all tips and help im getting.

Also new item to add to the list. when the AC is put on there is a noticeable hum. at first i thought the blower fan is off balance but only noticed now it is only when the i switch the ac on, might be unbalanced condenser fan. AC works fine but it is due for a refill
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

Does the hum change its frequency with engine speed? Then it would be related to the compressor.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
ED van Greunen
Cadet

Post by ED van Greunen »

Running around in circles. Started with passanger door lock mechanism. It does this thing where it only opens on the 10th to 15th pull. Took everything apart. Found a broken spring in the electric module where the motor runs the this one tab up and down. Found a replacement spring and put everything back together.

Worked well un til the window regulator cable came out its track and i had to take everything apart again. Put everything back together, now the original issue is reoccurring. Lock the doors, unlock and doesn't open with the handles. If a bang the side of the door it does open from outside only. Cables and tabs adjusted. It's just very annoying as the car is always used by my gf and i. Never know when it will work and when not
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

there is one easy way to solve that. Buy a new door lock. You can spend days trying to fix those things and get nowhere.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

ED van Greunen
Cadet

Post by ED van Greunen »

Yes thats what im leaning too. any ideas where to ask for a new one? saw some on amazon that says it ships here for abou R500, not keen on second hand.

the car had a half disconnected old school hands free system. i disconnected it properly this past weekend and battery drain issue has also seem to improved car turns over way better in mornings now.

noisy suspension i have also identified. Squeaks coming from under drivers and passenger door. hoping to spray them with some rubber re conditioner spray i saw online. slight knocking coming from stabilizer arm bushes (exact same noise from Tucson before i replaced it)

900kms on the tank now very pleased!
looked under the car i saw decat also done by previous owner, but also saw that middle engine mount moving way more than it should.

will that worn mount cause some vibration under heavy acceleration? clutch was replaced at 230k km but not flywheel by previous owner
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Locks you bite the bullet and get from the agents.
Yes broken dogbone mount will cause vibration, knocking under acceleration
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

ED van Greunen
Cadet

Post by ED van Greunen »

Car lost boost this morning after a hard pull in third gear to merge with highway traffic. After some searching on here it seems it went into 'limp mode'. (first turbo car ive owned)

Drove further till i could pull over at a garage. switched car off. checked for boost leaks and whatever. started again and it was fine. Pulled hard in all the gears and issue didnt re occur?

Will check vac lines. they do seem old and original.

List is getting bigger! :crazy:

Durban this weekend, bachelors weekend away following weekend, wedding weekend after that, and back to durban the weekend after wedding weekend.
Kinda wish this car was less of a project now but ill get there! :twisted:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Need to check what faukt it logged. So over or under boost. That will assist you in the fault finding.
owning a project car like this almost makes it mandatory to own some sort of way to read the diagnostic codes.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

ED van Greunen
Cadet

Post by ED van Greunen »

where in Centurion can i get that checked? issue occurred again today, car coolant wasn't up to temp yet. can only imagine what the oil temp must have been. i didnt floor it at all just gradually accelerate. changed 3rd to forth then nothing. i did feel like it was under boosting didnt have the usual response. it was almost like a soft limp i could carry on normal driving quite easy

Passenger door Control module seems to work 99% now after the strip and clean\
After further disconnecting the oldschool hands free kit the battery drain issue also seems to have disappeared
first tank refill shows 5.11 l/100km. Very stoked
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

There used to be a sticky somewhere at the top of this forum that had a list of vcds owners willing to assist. I have no idea how up to date it is but maybe have a look at that. Otherwise try trevor Greene - 083 309 5033. I just know centurion as a general area is HUGE so can't point you to somebody very close.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

ED van Greunen
Cadet

Post by ED van Greunen »

wish i knew how to load pics on here. busy weekend!

Dogbone and gearbox side engine mounts replaced as these mounts were moving a lot more under idle than the drivers side mount. shudder under acceleration is eliminated now. also no more shudder on idle. click sound is still there though under acceleration and slight click again under engine braking only? - livable for now

squeaks on suspension solved with lots of silicone spray, 2 sway bar bushes also replaced. WHAT A MISSION! trying to get the bolt back into the hole with the new bushes not allowing the clamp to be seated properly again, clunking over speed humps also gone now. what a difference! dare i say car feels like its handling better too now

however a similar sounding clunk occurs every now and then in a right turn over an uneven surface on the passenger side only, impossible to replicate on demand, suspect ball joint but livable for now

last was starter motor strip and lubricate, no more starter whine at all! however did only use Q20 as i forgot the grease at home (not allowed to work on vehicles in the complex i live in, phoned a friend)

if it wasnt for the 2 hours trying to get the dam sway bar bushing clamps back in place everything would have been done in 4 hours with about 4 less beers consumed.

Next on the list is to change vacuum lines. they are shot! pretty sure its what is causing the limp now and then.

Also want to run a tank of injector cleaner on the highway run to Durban and back next week. Waynes Puprle injector cleaner ive read up on the forum seems like will do the job just fine. It does take a bit long on morning start up. also with the new engine mounts i can feel the rough idle a bit better, thought thats just how a diesel idles but every now and then it smooths out a bit and you feel the difference even though there is no change in rpm
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

If the new vacuum lines don't sort out the limp, then have a look at the VNT mechanism on the turbo. It's the lever that's operated by the vacuum diaphragm actuator. When starting the engine, the lever on the turbo should move down by at least 10 mm - probably closer to 15 mm, towards the actuator. When switching off, or when removing the vacuum hose, the lever should return upwards, away from the actuator. You can see it in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pdKqHHimz4
This actuator actually seems pretty OK to me. The movement I mean is the one you see from 0:19 to 0:25.

If the lever doesn't move freely, in spite of good vacuum, then the VNT mechanism is gummed up with soot. You can try to free it up, e.g. by fitting a 14 mm spanner over the lever and wiggling it to and fro with "gentle force". It may work for a while, but the only long-term solution is to remove and open the turbo, clean the VNT, and if the CHRA is leaking oil, to re-seal it. Remedies with oven cleaner etc. don't really work, as the VNT sits BEHIND the turbine.

In terms of the starter, in my experience, the whine comes from worn-out bushes. As soon as the lube moves out of the worn-out bush, the noise comes back. I also had my starter out, but I couldn't open up the front bush (bendix side), to inspect and properly grease it. So like you, I squirted in some penetrating lube. Didn't last very long... So I'll either have to replace the bush (which I've heard is made from a special material and not generally available), or have the starter reconditioned, or replace it - or live with the whine.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
- - - - - - - - - -
ED van Greunen
Cadet

Post by ED van Greunen »

VAG Fan wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:00 pm If the new vacuum lines don't sort out the limp, then have a look at the VNT mechanism on the turbo. It's the lever that's operated by the vacuum diaphragm actuator. When starting the engine, the lever on the turbo should move down by at least 10 mm - probably closer to 15 mm, towards the actuator. When switching off, or when removing the vacuum hose, the lever should return upwards, away from the actuator. You can see it in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pdKqHHimz4
This actuator actually seems pretty OK to me. The movement I mean is the one you see from 0:19 to 0:25.

If the lever doesn't move freely, in spite of good vacuum, then the VNT mechanism is gummed up with soot. You can try to free it up, e.g. by fitting a 14 mm spanner over the lever and wiggling it to and fro with "gentle force". It may work for a while, but the only long-term solution is to remove and open the turbo, clean the VNT, and if the CHRA is leaking oil, to re-seal it. Remedies with oven cleaner etc. don't really work, as the VNT sits BEHIND the turbine.

In terms of the starter, in my experience, the whine comes from worn-out bushes. As soon as the lube moves out of the worn-out bush, the noise comes back. I also had my starter out, but I couldn't open up the front bush (bendix side), to inspect and properly grease it. So like you, I squirted in some penetrating lube. Didn't last very long... So I'll either have to replace the bush (which I've heard is made from a special material and not generally available), or have the starter reconditioned, or replace it - or live with the whine.
I actually just read your post about freeing up the vnt mechanism. Really hope its not the case (not keen for the missions!) Car has 250k km on and previous owner did a decat. Judging by the corrosion on the replacement pipe looks like its been there a while so hoping this all kept the soot from building up in the vanes. Have not checked actuator arm movement though, as soon as i have the bonnet open in the complex the care taker starts driving by super slowly :crazy: i should offer him a beer one day

If the vanes are stuck i will do the job properly, remove the turbo, open, clean, possibly rebuild. Ive re built 3 turbos already with my younger brother they are actually quite simple things. For now the limp is not such an issue just the odd cold morning.

will see how long the lubricant lasts in the starter but mine was also very worn the bendix i know should not be moving that much! Usually you can get a recon one on exchange of your current one for 2 or 3k.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

The starter bush is made of regular old brass. Should be readily available at either VW or goldwagen. Fitting it is an immense pain in the ass though.
Oh and when you replace the vacuum hoses - do them one by one. You don't want to pull the lot of and then go - oh where was this one connected or routed.
Oh yes - hard cold starting is often an indication of the pump timing being out.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

ED van Greunen
Cadet

Post by ED van Greunen »

Pump timing? im trying to reduce this list not add to it... Guy did the cambelt himself 20k km ago so is a possibility... but it is totally liveable for now. cranking doesnt exceed more than 10 seconds at most. exactly my plans with the vacuum lines one by one.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

Brass bush? Interesting.
IIRC, a while ago someone posted that the bushes are a special self-lubing material (graphite impregnated something-or-other?) and not brass, and are not readily available...
But if it's good old normal brass, I might contact agents or GW or Diesel Electric North (Bosch agents in Pta. West). They've helped me with brass starter bushes for my Audi before.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
- - - - - - - - - -
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

ED van Greunen wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:51 am Pump timing? im trying to reduce this list not add to it... Guy did the cambelt himself 20k km ago so is a possibility... but it is totally liveable for now. cranking doesnt exceed more than 10 seconds at most. exactly my plans with the vacuum lines one by one.
pump timing is settable if you have vcds. it takes a bit of time but is not difficult.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

ED van Greunen
Cadet

Post by ED van Greunen »

Permission to say i f%#cked up? :bwahaha: so after replacing the vac lines didnt cure my problem i did some more searching.
turns out the pipe clamp on the vac line was loose, so i quickly replaced the clamp only to discover the entire nipple loose as per video.

https://youtu.be/r4F_ECrb1ZE

however i was on way to a bachelors weekend away, we met up at a garage and i thought if i just zip tied the pipe to prevent it from moving around as the engine moves it would help a bit till i could do a proper fix. Ouens! That was a kak idea. i must have created an even bigger gap zip tying it because as we drove away and i had to stop at the first robot all of a sudden i didn't have any brakes. managed to get the car to a mates house 500m down the road and thats where its at now. got some pratley steel to seal it up i will keep you updated if it worked but quite confident that has been the issue all along