W.A.G break calipers

Kyle28rsa
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Make: volkwswagen
Car Model: MK1 1983 GLS

W.A.G break calipers

Post by Kyle28rsa »

Im looking to purchase a more reliable/stronger break caliper for my 1983 golf 1. Upon visiting the local goldwagen store, they advised that there in house brand (WAG) makes quite reliable break calipers. Anyone that used these calipers have any reviews to share?

vw golf 1 1986
vw golf 1 gls 4+e 1983

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: W.A.G break calipers

Post by panic-mechanic »

So are you looking for a brake caliper that won't break or looking for a brake caliper that brakes harder. It's not in the caliper as much as it is in the Diameter of the brake disc and if they are vented or not. Generally a brake upgrade on those means fitting a spacer and a bigger disc but using the same caliper, unless yours are broken. The bigger disc and putting the caliper further out increases the amount of force that can act onthe wheel and the larger disc stays cooler for longer.
I have not personally tried the WAG calipers so cannot advise on their quality
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

Thanks for the input. Strong meaning does no show wear and tear, cracks, etc easily. If i go for the bigger diameter disc setup would i need to upgrade anything else

vw golf 1 1986
vw golf 1 gls 4+e 1983

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

I have not used them but can't think they would sell a safety related product that would crack or wear
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

Good point. Any other options that you know of that are good in your opinion

vw golf 1 1986
vw golf 1 gls 4+e 1983

missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

First check if you already have the same type of caliper or not.

Sometime in the 80's the Golf 1 recieved the newer type brake calipers that cam on all subsequent models of the A1 platform.

If yours are the old type that have the little square brake pads in them that are held in by pins, then by all means replace the calipers with the WAG items. Add a pair of ATE or Ferodo brake pads and vented rotors and you won't be sorry. Stick to the 236mm stock diameter if your motor is still mostly standard.

If you have the newer caliper then rather have them overhauled. Many places can do this such as Norbrake, or similar shop near to you. Same pads and rotors as above and all good.

What Panic mentioned previously is a brake upgrade kit that can be purchased from DRD at Goldwagen Delarey. It is a spacer that relocates the stock caliper to accomodate a 280mm diameter disc. It does require a 15" rim to be fitted as smaller wheels don't fit over the caliper. Ideal for racing cars and 16V swopped cars for improved stopping power. The spacers can be purchased separately or as part of a complete kit. Very popular and proven over many years and many cars.

Sent from my SM-J400F using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

Thanks missioner

Thats exactly what i needed to know. I do in fact have the earlier callipers with the square pads.

I will go on your recommendation and purchase the wag calipers as my motor is still standard.

Thanks for the info. I will go ahead with the ate vented discs (sticking to the stock diameter), ferodo platinums and wag calipers.

Much appreciated

vw golf 1 1986
vw golf 1 gls 4+e 1983

Kyle28rsa
Cadet

Post by Kyle28rsa »

So i fiited the setup and i must say im loving it. Much more stopping power. Just have an issue with the pad rubbing on one side. Will check tomorrow what is causing that

vw golf 1 1986
vw golf 1 gls 4+e 1983