cronny
Enlisted
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf 7 1.4 TSI Comfortline DSG
Membership No: missing

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by cronny »

My 2013 TSI has been under a maintenance plan and went in for it's last covered service 2 weeks ago. I mentioned the oil usage problem and they were able to check if the head was part of the 2013 problem heads that cause the oil usage. They confirmed mine is part of that batch but because my oil usage is still "acceptable" they won't do anything. I promptly extended my motor plan for another 2 years as I'm still happy with the car and don't want to replace it just yet.
I checked my oil level yesterday and it's still just over half way (assuming it was full immediately after the service) after about 700km after the service.
2014 VW Golf 7 1.4 TSI Comfortline DSG
2008 Peugeot 207 HDI
'97 Golf 3 GSX
'92 Jetta II CSX
'83 Jetta I GLS
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

Will never understand this 'acceptable' business on a stock factory car , heavily tuned cars I'll understand.

From whats been said , VW 'acceptable' oil usage is anything less than 500ml per 1000kms.

What they are saying is by 10k kms it's ok to use 5lt of oil yet service interval is at 15k, so for the oke that doesn't check oil and know much about this can run a bearing knock between services :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

What madness is this.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
HendrikCTI
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by HendrikCTI »

They are playing the waiting game. The oil problem will not fix itself. It will actually gradually become worse. So by playing the waiting game, they are hoping for it to run out of the warranty before it is above the "acceptable" usage. Then they will just play the card of "Sorry, it is out of warranty"
My cars: 2004 Nissan Almera 1.6
1977 Datsun 1200GX
(100% FULLY restored, 13" mags fitted)
Wife's car: 2019 Suzuki Ciaz
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

The "generous" oil consumption specs are nothing new, though. All the way back to the 1970s, the user manuals of Audis and VWs have specified that up to 1L / 1000km is normal.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
ICE King
Cadet

Post by ICE King »

Is this usage based on a heavy foot, mix or light foot? can only imagine if these cars a rev'd heavily daily , VW be like a 5lt oil a day is acceptable - Sounds like bs story to prolong the situation till it's out of warranty cause the oil consumption only get's worse like hendrik mentioned
HendrikCTI
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by HendrikCTI »

The "generous" oil consumption specs are nothing new, though. All the way back to the 1970s, the user manuals of Audis and VWs have specified that up to 1L / 1000km is normal.

Is burning oil not bad for catalytic converters?
My cars: 2004 Nissan Almera 1.6
1977 Datsun 1200GX
(100% FULLY restored, 13" mags fitted)
Wife's car: 2019 Suzuki Ciaz
JacoBoshoff
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by JacoBoshoff »

Honestly still think something will be done if enough people will stand together and make it a more publicly known fact. Then VW will have no choice but to say something about it... Appalled by the way dealerships are handling the issue
sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Post by sbu.mah »

JacoBoshoff wrote:Honestly still think something will be done if enough people will stand together and make it a more publicly known fact. Then VW will have no choice but to say something about it... Appalled by the way dealerships are handling the issue
If this was happening in the US, a class action would have been filed by now against VW. It's a pity that type of lawsuit is not that common in SA and VW knows that hence they not moved at all and dealerships are hiding behind this nonsense that the consumption is normal (especially when the car is still under warranty).

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

Hendrik,

Yes, the sulphur from the tribological additives can poison the catalytic metals, and to my knowledge, the soot can also foul the honeycomb monolith.

I was just pointing out that hiding behind the ridiculously generous oil consumption specs is not a game that VAG only started playing with T(F)SI engines. They've been covering their oily behinds for 40 years or more.

[Edit: the back door has always been there - only nowadays, apparently they need to use it more and more often. Just to be clear: I agree completely that this stinks.]
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
JacoBoshoff
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by JacoBoshoff »

To my knowledge, that I heard from someone in the industry, they did indeed lose a class action suit in America and I think the UK due to this issue... Unfortunately not enforceable in South Africa, but also haven't seen anything on this class action personally so it is only hear say
cronny
Enlisted
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Model: Golf 7 1.4 TSI Comfortline DSG
Membership No: missing

Post by cronny »

I was also cautioned to only use the specified oil [Edit: pretty much the most expensive oil] as VW can reject any claim if they detect the incorrect oil was used. They apparently send the oil off for testing to check.
2014 VW Golf 7 1.4 TSI Comfortline DSG
2008 Peugeot 207 HDI
'97 Golf 3 GSX
'92 Jetta II CSX
'83 Jetta I GLS
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

cronny wrote:I was also cautioned to only use the specified oil [Edit: pretty much the most expensive oil] as VW can reject any claim if they detect the incorrect oil was used. They apparently send the oil off for testing to check.
They use Castrol , just get the same type of you worried .

Sent from my CPH1717 using Tapatalk

Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

JacoBoshoff wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:24 pm To my knowledge, that I heard from someone in the industry, they did indeed lose a class action suit in America and I think the UK due to this issue... Unfortunately not enforceable in South Africa, but also haven't seen anything on this class action personally so it is only hear say
You don't need somebody connected in the industry. Go search - it's on the internet.
What they won is that VW will still repair the engines at no cost after warranty has expired similar to if it was still covered by warranty.
And basically only for that specific issue.
No recall - no special anything.
And no you can't apply a lawsuit won in another country to south africa.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
ICE King
Cadet

Post by ICE King »

panic-mechanic wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:45 am
JacoBoshoff wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:24 pm To my knowledge, that I heard from someone in the industry, they did indeed lose a class action suit in America and I think the UK due to this issue... Unfortunately not enforceable in South Africa, but also haven't seen anything on this class action personally so it is only hear say
You don't need somebody connected in the industry. Go search - it's on the internet.
What they won is that VW will still repair the engines at no cost after warranty has expired similar to if it was still covered by warranty.
And basically only for that specific issue.
No recall - no special anything.
And no you can't apply a lawsuit won in another country to south africa.
Agree with Panic and lets not forgot the T's & C's that will be held against the consumer , Install a aftermarket exhaust, filter, software , or even servicing the car just once at a workshop other than the dealer will conveniently void your claim.

So much red tape here.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

I feel the people's pain but the chances of
A) even bringing such a lawsuit in SA is almost nil
b) Who is going to carry the cost for lawyers - you can probably buy 10 cars for that will cost you
c) succeeding in our courts with that is probably very slim.

Get it fixed aftermarket for half of what VW charges - get on with your life and enjoy the car for what it is.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.