VW Golf 1 dash conversion to Velocity Dash

Martin96
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

VW Golf 1 dash conversion to Velocity Dash

Post by Martin96 »

Hi, I have a Golf 1 Chico 1.3 Carb with an old dash and want to buy a Velocity dash and put in my Golf. I just want to find out where can I buy a velocity dash and where can I go so they install the dash for me and do all my wiring over?

Please. Help>

I love my golf and don't want to sell it. I want to build it up to the way I want my golf to be like. Nothing big or fancy. I am happy with my engine but the exterior and interior off the car.
Any tips would help or advice.

Thank you
Martin96
Enlisted

Re: VW Golf 1 dash conversion to Velocity Dash

Post by Martin96 »

Any answer?
Supervan II
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: SEAT
Membership No: missing

Post by Supervan II »

Martin96 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:52 pm ... where can I go so they install the dash for me and do all my wiring over?
Buying it isn't the problem, any decent scrapyard will have one - it's the part I quoted that will scare you to death.

Then there's the different switches, etc, etc.

If you can't do it yourself (installation & wiring) the cost involved would just not be viable.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT

Post by PapaJo »

Supervan II wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:51 am
Martin96 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:52 pm ... where can I go so they install the dash for me and do all my wiring over?
Buying it isn't the problem, any decent scrapyard will have one - it's the part I quoted that will scare you to death.

Then there's the different switches, etc, etc.

If you can't do it yourself (installation & wiring) the cost involved would just not be viable.
If you go this route, you need the full front harnass with the dash,
a decoded ecu or wire up to a TP100 and round coil for ignition,
get the inside fan with its controls as this is vacuum controlled and shape inside under dash differ from old spec dash unit,
Steering column with pedals to change including ignition lock as it sits at different angle than old spec dash,
You need to cut the bracket where the cluster fits as the new spec cluster is deeper and then you need to supprt the remainder of what is left of the bracket,
The key is coded and you can get away with using it uncoded if you wire in the TP100 for coil and spark,
All the old spec dash brackets needs to be cut off including the little loops under windscreen where the front of the old spec dash clipped in to make new spec dash sit right. ONCE YOU HAVE DONE THIS THERE US NO WAY TO GO BACK TO FITTING AN OLD SPEC DASH EVER AGAIN.

Splicing the rear wiring in is not so much of a hassle as the wire colors match, BUT you need to ensure that all the brown earthing wires from the new spec dash is properly grounded on the body to safe / prevent you endless wire headaches and faulty floating dash indications and operation.

Been there and done it, it looks good, but a lot of work to get it to fit right.
Martin96
Enlisted

Post by Martin96 »

Thanks for the reply,

Can you give any recommendations for where it can be done, money will not be an issue.

Or can you maybe assist?
I know its going to be a difficult process but are determine to do it, if I knew how I would have done it, I have an idea of what must be done, and would get all the stuff require if I have a list of all the things required.
This helps a lot, but I also doing research, but I want to do this and do it right.

Thank you
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Martin96 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:22 pm Thanks for the reply,

Can you give any recommendations for where it can be done, money will not be an issue.

Or can you maybe assist?
I know its going to be a difficult process but are determine to do it, if I knew how I would have done it, I have an idea of what must be done, and would get all the stuff require if I have a list of all the things required.
This helps a lot, but I also doing research, but I want to do this and do it right.

Thank you
Tell us where are you based and then we can point you to someone near you.
buggyfan
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: mk1
Car Model: GTX

Post by buggyfan »

Just to give you an idea of the work involved.....
https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... lit=Macman
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

buggyfan wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:29 am Just to give you an idea of the work involved.....
https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... lit=Macman
I have followed this thread and then did my conversion to new spec dash. Very usefull and detailed.
Martin96
Enlisted

Post by Martin96 »

Thank you

I will have a look.

Im based in Pretoria Area.