Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: dicktator issues help please

Post by PapaJo »

mon2fri wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:58 pm https://postimg.cc/image/5b1yhyjx7/

shaded in the picture are the resistors that i replaced, i took out the the burned ones with the color code (red,black,black,gold)20ohm and put those(red,red,black,gold)22ohm resistors.

if they are not correct please let me know so that i order the right ones.

and yep i connected the crank sensor as instructed but yet no luck reading the rpm :sad:
Fixed the picture for you.

Thise are nit at the same location as my picture. Please trace them to the pins to see what circuit those are for. My guess is that it is for the input pulse from trigger wheel.

You said before it did give you rpm when you held the sensor close to the teeth on one of the cambelt pulleys. I still believe that you have an issue that the gap is too large between the sensor tip and the trigger teeth.
mon2fri
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years

Post by mon2fri »

yesterday i took my box to be checked and the tech told me that the box its good and the resistors are the correct ones its just wiring that messed up.

today i gave it a try, checked the wiring especially the crank sensor one.
1. in the gray shielded wire for the crank sensor there are 3 wires, red,white and the ground
2.i have dis-attached the ground wire and now i get rpm when i put the car on
3. i tried swinging the engine but my starter wasn't turning the engine fast enough. i think the solenoid gave in.

but during that process the yellow\ember light was flicking so i think. so i have to deal with the starter issue and will update you.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

mon2fri wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:33 pm yesterday i took my box to be checked and the tech told me that the box its good and the resistors are the correct ones its just wiring that messed up.

today i gave it a try, checked the wiring especially the crank sensor one.
1. in the gray shielded wire for the crank sensor there are 3 wires, red,white and the ground
2.i have dis-attached the ground wire and now i get rpm when i put the car on
3. i tried swinging the engine but my starter wasn't turning the engine fast enough. i think the solenoid gave in.

but during that process the yellow\ember light was flicking so i think. so i have to deal with the starter issue and will update you.
Are you sure you have the red and white wires connected to pin 1(red) and pin 2 (white) at the sensor end and not between 2 and 3?

What was RPM reading indicated when you got a reading?
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

ill have to run the test in the morning and ill update you.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

mon2fri wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:47 pm ill have to run the test in the morning and ill update you.
Ok
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

https://s25.postimg.cc/8459wghjz/20180610_094745_1.jpg

the pic are showing the readings when i put the car on

yesterday i tried to jump start the car by towing it
1. it catches but immediately when i press the clutch it goes off
2. i cud hear the `brrrrr` sound but it doesn't have enough power to run itself.
3.got home tried starting it with a key you cud hear it trying to catch but it didn't happen
4.when i try to connect on the laptop to check the setup it doesn't wanna connect.

so i thought of maybe it might be the timing on the engine and the start-up menu or map setting. so ill have a look at it after work
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

are you saying that picture is with the engine cranking or just switching it on?
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

mon2fri wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:02 pm https://s25.postimg.cc/8459wghjz/20180610_094745_1.jpg

2. i cud hear the `brrrrr` sound but it doesn't have enough power to run itself.
3.got home tried starting it with a key you cud hear it trying to catch but it didn't happen
4.when i try to connect on the laptop to check the setup it doesn't wanna connect.

so i thought of maybe it might be the timing on the engine and the start-up menu or map setting. so ill have a look at it after work
RPM reading of 173, zero timing or fueling values, -9 degrees water temperature ( geewizz that is cold temperature).

Did you load a start up map into ecu???

Please take pictures of your main page, fuel and ignition pages and post it here.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

panic-mechanic wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:57 pm are you saying that picture is with the engine cranking or just switching it on?
good morning panic.

those reading are for when i put the car on.
my only concern is it primes three times and with three different readings
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

PapaJo wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:19 pm
mon2fri wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:02 pm https://s25.postimg.cc/8459wghjz/20180610_094745_1.jpg

RPM reading of 173, zero timing or fueling values, -9 degrees water temperature ( geewizz that is cold temperature).

Did you load a start up map into ecu???

Please take pictures of your main page, fuel and ignition pages and post it here.
good morning papajo

it was very early in the morning so it was very cold

that is the first prime

second prime

third prime

it primes three times at a go with different readings.

here is my startup setting

hope ill get it right soon.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

these are the data readings i got just now after checking the timing.

i am concerned about the timing reading of 10.5 mustn't it be 20.00?
DeanK
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Post by DeanK »

Jo is on his way to Brasil - sure he will comment when he has signal again.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

DeanK wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:44 pm Jo is on his way to Brasil - sure he will comment when he has signal again.
ok Deank
thanks
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Please post the timing page and fuel page too?

Are you sure all wiring is correct? From the picture I see over temp readings on water on a picture, fuel values VERY high and not close to where it is suppose to be. 14,75 volt in one picture.

Just to clarify for all by the primes you did was only ignition switched on and not started motor or running motor. If it is just switching on ignition and checking values, there is definitely something wrong with your wiring. Tell me where is the thick black wire connected and also the thin black wires for sensor earths and what sensors are you using.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

Yep those are when i put the car on.
On my wiring loom i have four black wires
1. It goes to the tps
2. Water temp switch

3.air frm the intake pipe
4. to bat neg
The water temp switch i think it has problems when i touch the wiring it works fine but ill change it today.

Please note that when i plug the shielded ground on the crank sensor it dsnt read the engine pulse when a swing the car.
Must i jus order a new wiring loom?
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

mon2fri wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:31 am Yep those are when i put the car on.
On my wiring loom i have four black wires
1. It goes to the tps one thin black wire correct
2. Water temp switch Are you using a single blade or two pin sensor here? If two pin, you connect one thin black wire and purple wire to it, if single blade type sensor, connect only purple wire and close up the thin black wire.

3.air frm the intake pipe yellow wire and thin black wire on two pin sensor
4. to bat neg This the thick black wire, yes correct
The water temp switch i think it has problems when i touch the wiring it works fine but ill change it today.

Please note that when i plug the shielded ground on the crank sensor it dsnt read the engine pulse when a swing the car. Double check the pinout on the sensor, measure the pins with a multimeter and between pin 1 and 2 you should get a resistance value.
Must i jus order a new wiring loom? Depending on the condition of the wire loom. Not knowing or seeing the condition I cannot tell. Sounds more like some connections are not good as you are saying that when you touch the temperature sensor it reads correct

With ignition switched on you should get no RPM reading. RPM reading only when you crank the motor.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Due to the false RPM reading, the timing will display the value corresponding on the ignition map in the block related to timing RPM value on the map.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

so papajo whats the best way to go from here?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

You have a serious wiring issue if you get rpm readings when you switch the car on.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

mon2fri wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:05 am so papajo whats the best way to go from here?
Recheck all your wiring as per Dicktator wiring diagram.
Remove all wiring and start over using the wiring diagram and ensure all connections are properly insulated.
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

PapaJo wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:39 am
mon2fri wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:05 am so papajo whats the best way to go from here?
Remove all wiring and start over using the wiring diagram and ensure all connections are properly insulated.
ohk papajo

let it be the project for weekend. ill update when im done re wiring the car. thanx
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

mon2fri wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:01 pm
PapaJo wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:39 am
ohk papajo

let it be the project for weekend. ill update when im done re wiring the car. thanx
Cool :thumbup:
mon2fri
Cadet

Post by mon2fri »

good evening,
as promised i`ve been on the car since morning, and ive checked all wiring one by one soldered every wire joint and ive insulated every soldered wire.
ive noticed that the 12v wire to the battery was not strong enough so ive used a new thick wire

now when i put the car on it only primes once not three times
the only problem i am facing is the water temp switch is reading over when i put the car on, so ill be changing it during the week.
when i swing the car :-
the RPM reading is between 396 to 257
timing is 10.6
petrol 6.96 to 8.89
Boost is 0.139 to 0.147

so it didn't catch all it did was to shoot from the exhaust as if the timing wasn't correct
you cud hear it going like its gonna catch but nothing good happened.

so im thinking of ordering the replacement 60-2 wiring and the water temp switch.

i saw the replacement wiring @ performance products SA if you guys know people you trust please tag them ill give them a ring tomorrow morning.
thanks guys
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

mon2fri wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:09 pm good evening,
as promised i`ve been on the car since morning, and ive checked all wiring one by one soldered every wire joint and ive insulated every soldered wire.
ive noticed that the 12v wire to the battery was not strong enough so ive used a new thick wire

now when i put the car on it only primes once not three times
the only problem i am facing is the water temp switch is reading over when i put the car on, so ill be changing it during the week.
when i swing the car :-
the RPM reading is between 396 to 257
timing is 10.6
petrol 6.96 to 8.89
Boost is 0.139 to 0.147

so it didn't catch all it did was to shoot from the exhaust as if the timing wasn't correct
you cud hear it going like its gonna catch but nothing good happened.

so im thinking of ordering the replacement 60-2 wiring and the water temp switch.

i saw the replacement wiring @ performance products SA if you guys know people you trust please tag them ill give them a ring tomorrow morning.
thanks guys
The red wire you refer to, is it the one on pin 8 on the wiring and is the thinner red wire of the two in the harnass? That is the switched power from ignition and size wire is adequate size. The red power wire going to pin 30 on relay is connected to the battery positive terminal and is addequate for the job.

Priming once is correct and the RPM reading is good enough during motor cranking.

What temperature sensor are you using and how is it wired to the ecu? The “over” temp reading you are getting is suggesting to me that you are having a short circuit on the temperature input. For a test, you can disconnect the temperature wire to the sensor and swing motor again. This can also give you the high fuel value of 6-8ms. Once you gave the temperature reading, you need to calibrate the temoerature values.

By saying it almost catches, I presume you have confirmed spark and fuel.

What is your fuel pressure on fuel rail, plugs dry or wet and black? Any fuel smell?

What is the main setup page values and trigger input sekections set to? Post pictures of those to check.

What is the trigger angle value on the main page? Wrong trigger angle could also prevent motor from starting.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

mon2fri wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:09 pm
petrol 6.96 to 8.89
too much. Should be around 1.6 to 2.2 odd for normal sized injectors on idle.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10