Tman21
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 7 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: BosPolo
Membership No: 3247

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by Tman21 »

On this point @NEUK And proper high jack on the subject. My wife is doing her MBA and she has to do an assignment on SASOL and so Ill be doing some more reading. Also reading kak old posts on here which begs the question . . . what do you fill up with in youR? (unless I missed it)

Very funny to see people debating fuel on the internet. . .
Success: When hard work meets opportunity :-)
#TMAN21
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 3 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Tman21 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:25 pm On this point @NEUK And proper high jack on the subject. My wife is doing her MBA and she has to do an assignment on SASOL and so Ill be doing some more reading. Also reading kak old posts on here which begs the question . . . what do you fill up with in youR? (unless I missed it)

Very funny to see people debating fuel on the internet. . .
I only use 95 in my R, mainly Shell but sometimes Engen and BP. The engines we get in the 7R and 7.5R have been detuned for the local market by around 20hp ATF.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
aomar296
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by aomar296 »

B_rad wrote:
hostility wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:27 am Eish 1.4tsi problems.....i Kakked a bit when i bought my 1.4tsi twincharged 2012........with its notorious issues of piston failure......

Symptoms start with lumpy idle, misfire, oil usage and then piston number 3 failure......upon more research VW's software update recall did work, but they will they will come up with every excuse not to fix your car once the piston does go boom.

Then even more research with the UK boys and their Twincharged Cupra's having the exact same issues they found a good software upgrade was the answer, So i chatted to Revo and a stage 1 upgrade had everything firing optimally........I did it just as a precaution, and 2 more mates of mine did it on their 1.4tsi motors too. 3 years in and going strong.......but regardless to all i've mentioned here...its a lucky packet motor for sure.
I have actually heard of guys saying this before - doing the software sorted out the AFR's and helped prevent it (or so I am told).
Have any you guys had this issue sorted out with a software fix instead of having to take the whole engine and the risk attached to that?

Please advise

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

aomar296 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:51 am
B_rad wrote:
hostility wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:27 am Eish 1.4tsi problems.....i Kakked a bit when i bought my 1.4tsi twincharged 2012........with its notorious issues of piston failure......

Symptoms start with lumpy idle, misfire, oil usage and then piston number 3 failure......upon more research VW's software update recall did work, but they will they will come up with every excuse not to fix your car once the piston does go boom.

Then even more research with the UK boys and their Twincharged Cupra's having the exact same issues they found a good software upgrade was the answer, So i chatted to Revo and a stage 1 upgrade had everything firing optimally........I did it just as a precaution, and 2 more mates of mine did it on their 1.4tsi motors too. 3 years in and going strong.......but regardless to all i've mentioned here...its a lucky packet motor for sure.
I have actually heard of guys saying this before - doing the software sorted out the AFR's and helped prevent it (or so I am told).
Have any you guys had this issue sorted out with a software fix instead of having to take the whole engine and the risk attached to that?

Please advise

Once the ring land is damaged , No software can fix it , The software is more of a precaution before getting to that point of damaging the ring lands.

Not sure if it was confirmed but the ring land damage seems to be from detonation

Surprisingly one would think that the clever ECU's safety features would prevent this.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Let me explain something about clever ECU and prevention safety features.
In the hunt for optimum power and efficiency the maps are so that they always try to run as much timing as possible.
So it will run the timing on the map until it finds detonation - it can't retard/prevent knock or stop knock until a knock even has occurred.
Once it had actually seen knock it will retard the timing for a set period - then it will allow it to advance again to the point the map says it should be.
It finds knock again, retards, hold it a while and then allows it to advance again. Rinse and repeat. So if you go into reading blocks in diagnostic - every time you see timing pull there was an actual detonation event. So go drive it and tell me how many timing pull events you see on a nice hot day...
then we can talk about this no knock thing......
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
FvE
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Post by FvE »

aomar296 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:35 pm
FvE wrote:
aomar296 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:17 am Hi FvE

Any updates on your car? Is the dealership willing to cover the cost or VWSA?

VWSA refused to help in any way this week on my car until I authorize the strip and quote for my account

Hi Aomar296
I am still busy with the 1000km. Sitting on 700km now.
Any update from your side? Did you authorize the strip and quote?
Still undecided? Can't take the risk of sitting with a R100k bill and no car so still driving and monitoring oil

Thanks for updating me

Hope you come right

Took car for the stage 2 oil consumption test. VW confirmed above spec oil consumption. 1.2liter per 1000km.
They also confirmed that VWSA will not be assisting. Dealership said I can take it up with VWSA myself.
Total cost so far.
1st stage - R1700
2nd stage - R2400
Strip and quote - R4200
Repair cost - R 46000
Total - R 54300
Im done with VW.
ICE King
Cadet
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

panic-mechanic wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:00 am Let me explain something about clever ECU and prevention safety features.
In the hunt for optimum power and efficiency the maps are so that they always try to run as much timing as possible.
So it will run the timing on the map until it finds detonation - it can't retard/prevent knock or stop knock until a knock even has occurred.
Once it had actually seen knock it will retard the timing for a set period - then it will allow it to advance again to the point the map says it should be.
It finds knock again, retards, hold it a while and then allows it to advance again. Rinse and repeat. So if you go into reading blocks in diagnostic - every time you see timing pull there was an actual detonation event. So go drive it and tell me how many timing pull events you see on a nice hot day...
I understand that , the map/tune is within a tolerance to prevent bad timing pulls/detonation and as per manual, requires 98 recommended or 95 will work as the ecu will adjust accordingly - this is what I meant by the "clever" ECU and it's features.

But understand majority of people don't know about these in dept detail and simply get in an drive , petrol is petrol and when one spends 100's of thousands for a car , car manufacturers could have gone a bit further to put in a safety/map feature when inferior octane is detected alternatively just detune the car. Yes power will be lost and lag/stalling will increase on these little motors but at least the motor wont break.

This is like tuning a car that requires water/meth all the time but , as soon as there's no more water/meth, the motor suffers - ticking time bomb
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
aomar296
Cadet

Post by aomar296 »

What happened to the goodwill VW promised?

Did you go ahead with the repair?

What exactly was wrong once they stripped?
FvE wrote:
FvE wrote:
aomar296 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:17 am Hi FvE

Any updates on your car? Is the dealership willing to cover the cost or VWSA?

VWSA refused to help in any way this week on my car until I authorize the strip and quote for my account

Hi Aomar296
Still undecided? Can't take the risk of sitting with a R100k bill and no car so still driving and monitoring oil

Thanks for updating me

Hope you come right

Took car for the stage 2 oil consumption test. VW confirmed above spec oil consumption. 1.2liter per 1000km.
They also confirmed that VWSA will not be assisting. Dealership said I can take it up with VWSA myself.
Total cost so far.
1st stage - R1700
2nd stage - R2400
Strip and quote - R4200
Repair cost - R 46000
Total - R 54300
Im done with VW.

VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

panic-mechanic wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:00 am Let me explain something about clever ECU and prevention safety features.
This type of knock management has, in principle, been around for about 30 years, i.e.
... run timing map and monitor for knock
--> if knock detected --> retard in steps
--> monitor
--> advance, in steps, to set point on map

For example, self-study programme 110 (released Nov. 1989) for the MC engine describes this. The MC used a K(E)Jetronic with fully electronic ignition, lambda control, knock control, boost control - and the ECU had one map for super octane, one for low octane.

If they could get it right then, why not now? The only thing I can think is that the timing maps of those years didn't push the default timing as close to knock, i.e. fewer knock events occurred.

The saying comes to mind, "we must save, no matter the cost".
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
hostility
↰ ↓ 4 ?
Car Make: Anaconda
Car Model: 22"
Membership No: 1624

Post by hostility »

Go speak to Tazo/Shaun Mooloo at Revo/Vagcafe, Swartkops, they hooked me up the Revo stage 1 file (Which i did as a precautionary measure to avoid the issues mentioned in this thread.). Thereafter after a long wait, got Revo in the US to develop me a stage 2 file. At the moment i am 3 years in, 80 000km on the ODO and problem free.
FvE
Enlisted

Post by FvE »

aomar296 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:30 pm What happened to the goodwill VW promised?

FvE wrote:
FvE wrote:
Hi Aomar296

Thanks for updating me

Hope you come right

Total cost so far.
1st stage - R1700
2nd stage - R2400
Strip and quote - R4200
Repair cost - R 46000
Total - R 54300
Im done with VW.
The dealership claims that they put in a request to VWSA for a goodwill claim. VWSA rejected. I then took it up with VWSA myself. Waiting for a response from them. They phoned my yesterday and said that they still busy with the investigation and need more time before they can give me a response.

The service advisor only told me that the piston and rings are worn and send me quotation for R 43000 for repair. I requested for a reason or cause for the damage, but im still waiting for his response. Don't think I will get one.

I have not given the go ahead for repair, waiting for VWSA response.
aomar296
Cadet

Post by aomar296 »

FvE wrote:
aomar296 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:30 pm What happened to the goodwill VW promised?

FvE wrote:
aomar296 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:35 pm Still undecided? Can't take the risk of sitting with a R100k bill and no car so still driving and monitoring oil

Thanks for updating me

Hope you come right

Total cost so far.
1st stage - R1700
2nd stage - R2400
Strip and quote - R4200
Repair cost - R 46000
Total - R 54300
Im done with VW.
The dealership claims that they put in a request to VWSA for a goodwill claim. VWSA rejected. I then took it up with VWSA myself. Waiting for a response from them. They phoned my yesterday and said that they still busy with the investigation and need more time before they can give me a response.

The service advisor only told me that the piston and rings are worn and send me quotation for R 43000 for repair. I requested for a reason or cause for the damage, but im still waiting for his response. Don't think I will get one.

I have not given the go ahead for repair, waiting for VWSA response.
Thanks FvE keep us posted,

After your post I'm even more reluctant to give my car in for Strip and quote,

At the moment, it is driving perfectly but still eating oil every 2000km,

Hope they fix everything under goodwill because such an expensive car shouldn't give trouble like this after only 100000km

aomar296
Cadet

Post by aomar296 »

Any news from VWSA FvE?

arnotur
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by arnotur »

:bang: another victim here.. should have read a bit more before buying..

Purchased a 2013 golf 7 1.4tsi 2 months ago, with just over 100k kms and on day 1 picked up actuator issue which vw replaced a week later.. in that 1st week though i noticed the oil light coming on and filled a litre..

After the actuator repair, another week later.. oil light again. Have done about 6000kms now and oil usage has become noticeably worse.. approx. 1l every 600kms at this point. Typed a long sad mail to the dealer stating how disappointed i was..no response as yet.

Was also advised repairs will be min 40k..

What to do now..i just bought the car.. really sad

Are there no cheaper options of just replacing the pistons and rings and re using the rest odlf the engine components?
gloydlel
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Post by gloydlel »

arnotur wrote::bang: another victim here.. should have read a bit more before buying..

Purchased a 2013 golf 7 1.4tsi 2 months ago, with just over 100k kms and on day 1 picked up actuator issue which vw replaced a week later.. in that 1st week though i noticed the oil light coming on and filled a litre..

After the actuator repair, another week later.. oil light again. Have done about 6000kms now and oil usage has become noticeably worse.. approx. 1l every 600kms at this point. Typed a long sad mail to the dealer stating how disappointed i was..no response as yet.

Was also advised repairs will be min 40k..

What to do now..i just bought the car.. really sad

Are there no cheaper options of just replacing the pistons and rings and re using the rest odlf the engine components?
Time to buy or trade in for a ford focus ecoboost. I can see now why they keep winning engine of the year.
I'm doing research and stuck between the 1.0 tsi motor, 2.0 tdi and 1.4 tsi.
I do about 800km per week driving through Sandton.

I wonder is the 2.0 tdi motor more reliable as I will be doing plus minus 40000 km per year.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

HendrikCTI
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by HendrikCTI »

I wonder is the 2.0 tdi motor more reliable as I will be doing plus minus 40000 km per year.
Just buy a non turbo car to have more ease of mind. Or buy Jap and have stress free motoring if you drive so many km per year.
My cars: 2004 Nissan Almera 1.6
1977 Datsun 1200GX
(100% FULLY restored, 13" mags fitted)
Wife's car: 2019 Suzuki Ciaz
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

HendrikCTI wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:20 am
Just buy a non turbo car to have more ease of mind. Or buy Jap and have stress free motoring if you drive so many km per year.
Not even buying Japanese will ensure stress free motoring unfortunately but doing a bucket load of research before any vehicle purchase is always a must.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
arnotur
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by arnotur »

My other question is why is this car so expensive to repair.. 40k minimum neh man, that sounds like a price for a very good used engine..

Are these pistons made of gold or what

I had a ring landing break on my s3 and in total the fix was around 10k..not sure what is so expensive on a lesser engine like this.
HendrikCTI
Cadet

Post by HendrikCTI »

@Neuk
I agree with doing proper research when buying a car. But I have noticed on German and European cars that friends at work have, that they tend to over complicate things on their designs. My one friend has a Mercedes and also couple of Toyotas. He says the Toyotas are a pleasure to work on and maintain.

My other friend has a Polo 1.4i and also Toyotas. Again same story, the Toyotas are easier to work on. The polo he says is still a very good car sitting on 250 000km with very little issues. Was mostly just water leaks. Not using a drop of oil and abused by his girlfriend who is a rep. He is going to try pushing it for the 400 000km mark.
1977 Datsun 1200GX
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

arnotur wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:39 am My other question is why is this car so expensive to repair.. 40k minimum neh man, that sounds like a price for a very good used engine..

Are these pistons made of gold or what

I had a ring landing break on my s3 and in total the fix was around 10k..not sure what is so expensive on a lesser engine like this.
Which dealership repaired your car?
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

HendrikCTI wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:39 am @Neuk
I agree with doing proper research when buying a car. But I have noticed on German and European cars that friends at work have, that they tend to over complicate things on their designs. My one friend has a Mercedes and also couple of Toyotas. He says the Toyotas are a pleasure to work on and maintain.

My other friend has a Polo 1.4i and also Toyotas. Again same story, the Toyotas are easier to work on. The polo he says is still a very good car sitting on 250 000km with very little issues. Was mostly just water leaks. Not using a drop of oil and abused by his girlfriend who is a rep. He is going to try pushing it for the 400 000km mark.
I guess it depends what cars you are looking at, there is nothing simple about a Nissan GTR R35 engine but then the 3.0 D4D in a Fortuner is basically a farm appliance engine. Every manufacturer is being forced to get more 'complicated' to extract more performance from smaller and smaller engines while limiting emissions as much as possible. How big are Japanese brands in the US/Europe versus their European counterparts? That may give a clue as to why they use 'simpler' technology in their cars...
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
HendrikCTI
Cadet

Post by HendrikCTI »

Yes, I agree if you put it that way.
1977 Datsun 1200GX
aomar296
Cadet

Post by aomar296 »

Any response from VWSA FvE?

FvE
Enlisted

Post by FvE »

aomar296 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:25 pm Any response from VWSA FvE?

VWSA informed me that they will not be assisting me. Weighing up my options now. Thinking of picking up the car at the dealership on flatbed and taking it to repair shop that is affordable. Will then try to sell it.
sbu.mah
Cadet
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Post by sbu.mah »

I guess its time to get rid of mine. Im on 167k and no issues with all consumption, only annoying thing is the tapping noise when the clutch is not pressed - being like that since 2013

Sent from my G3313 using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP