Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1988 Citi Golf 1.8

1988 Citi Golf 1.8 Carb NO SPARK:-( HV Engine

Post by Ryandevraj »

Hey guys

Thank you for having me,

I have had it with my car, im lost I have tried everything possible, I just dont know what more to do. I am Hoping The VW Gods can help me solve the problem. My car lost spark and I just got it back from the mechanic after 2 weeks for the same issue, The car ran for 2 days only and the mechanic after being paid said screw me thats ur problem now and wont look at it again.

1) I have replaced TP100 Harness
2) Replaced HT Leads
3) Replaced TP900B with TP100(but the mechanic said the TP100 didnt want to allow for spark, so he put the old TP900b back), the car is a 1.8 8V carb so im assuming the TP100 wont work with that motor.
4) Bought a new distributor but the mechanic got the car running with my old dizzy and said dont use the chinese dizzy, use the origianl bosch as he got the car sparking with it).
5) Replaced ignition switch
6) Replaced Coil

What doesnt make sense is I got the car bk from the mechanic with my original dizzy, original TP900b running and the car was sparking like a Thunderstorm. He did state that when wiring the new TP100 harness, connecting the Green Signal wire he could not get spark when placed on the negative of the coil. He connected the Green Signal wire to the positive of the coil and got spark continuously. The car ran like that starting without issues. Drove down the road to the shops car just lost spark and cut off. Pulled over to the side of the road grabbed my new dizzy(I keep all the parts in my car new and old just in case), fit the Harness connector to test dizzy, pull ht lead from dizzy ground on tappet cover, spun the dizzy with ignition on and no spark. I have now disconnected everything and want to wire from scratch. I dont know the first thing about what should go where, My mechanic messed up somewhere. How do i tested if the TP900b is fried, How do I test if the new coil is now fried and how to I wire it the way it should be wired? Please help, Oh and sorry for the long post
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: 1988 Citi Golf 1.8 Carb NO SPARK:-( HV Engine

Post by panic-mechanic »

Virtually impossible to say without actually seeing the car.. Specially if somebody has been in there.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

TP100 with its harnass will work if wired correctly. Think your mechanic had the wiring mixed up. Distributor signal wire goesto pin6 on TP100 and coil negative wired to pin 1 on TP100.
Ryandevraj
Cadet

Post by Ryandevraj »

I completely understand, it sounds like a hectic electrical fault with something shorting everything out, 2 small questions though, On a 1.8 carb HV engine can a TP100 be a replacement for the TP900b?and the green signal wire from the TP should always go to coil negative?
Ryandevraj
Cadet

Post by Ryandevraj »

im going to check every wire connected to the coil/harness and give feedback so you guys can tell me if its wired correctly
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Ryandevraj wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:18 pm I completely understand, it sounds like a hectic electrical fault with something shorting everything out, 2 small questions though, On a 1.8 carb HV engine can a TP100 be a replacement for the TP900b?and the green signal wire from the TP should always go to coil negative?
Yes, you can use TP100 together with its harnass as a replacement for the TP900b. It requires switched 12v that you take from the ignition wire on the coil positive terminal, earth wire on TP100(thick brown) to battery negative, then you just plug into your distributor. Connect the thick green wire that is on pin 1 of the TP100 plug on the negative terminal on the round coil and you are sorted.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

From your first post, you said green wire was connected to positive side of coil. The coil or TP900b or both might have got fried then.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

You also need to specifiy which coil. but yes coil signal wire always goes coil negative.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Ryandevraj
Cadet

Post by Ryandevraj »

The mechanic did connect the Green signal wire to the positive of the coil, What is weird is with it connected up that way the car did start and ran for 2 days then died, The coil is a normal round coil, the spares shop said its for electronic ignition. I have removed everything and given it to Distributor Exchange to be bench tested. After the mechanic robbing me,connecting everything wrong and running away,hearing that he fried all the new parts too DAMNNN. I think i need a bottle of whisky
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

A coil will fire connected the other way around but the spark will be very weak and it will eventually overheat.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Ryandevraj wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:46 pm The mechanic did connect the Green signal wire to the positive of the coil, What is weird is with it connected up that way the car did start and ran for 2 days then died, The coil is a normal round coil, the spares shop said its for electronic ignition. I have removed everything and given it to Distributor Exchange to be bench tested. After the mechanic robbing me,connecting everything wrong and running away,hearing that he fried all the new parts too DAMNNN. I think i need a bottle of whisky
Forget the whiskey, get a proper mechanic or ask for advise here on the forum.
Ryandevraj
Cadet

Post by Ryandevraj »

Exactly, you get these fly by night mechanics who instead of actually finding the fault and replacing the failing part want to replace parts by a process of elimination which has now become an expensive error on my part. I have had my old TP900b and new TP100 tested, both are blown as they are sending no power to the distributor Hall Sensor. I will get another TP module today and pray all goes well. I am also going to by pass my fuse box as it seems quite dodge, Going to run an external relay, fuse and manual switch for the ignition. I think that would also be a nice Anti theft.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Double check all your wiring and make sure all wiring is correct before connecting the new module.
Ryandevraj
Cadet

Post by Ryandevraj »

I purchased a new module, I have everything wired as follows:

1)Independent ignition switch from battery,through 40A Relay and 25A inline Fuse Directing 12V to Positive of coil.
2) Carburetor Idle solenoid to positive of coil.
3)TP module Black wire for power on Positive of Coil
4) Green TP signal wire on negative of coil
5)Rev counter wire on negative of coil.

The car started up and seems to be running fine, Please can you verify i connected everything to the correct places on the coil. I don't want to end up driving 20KM and it burns out lol.

I now have 1 spare working brand new chinese distributor, wiring harness and two blown modules, Lifes Great(Sarcasm intended).
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

If my nemory serves me correct, the idle control wire should be on coil negative side and not positive side of coil.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

It's called an fuel cutoff solenoid and yes it should be switched 12v. It's not idle control. It shuts off fuel when you kill the car to stop run-on.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Ryandevraj
Cadet

Post by Ryandevraj »

The car is running perfect. Thank you to all for all your assistance
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Ryandevraj wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:15 am The car is running perfect. Thank you to all for all your assistance
:thumbup: