2.3l 5 cylinder engines differences

Nic16v
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

2.3l 5 cylinder engines differences

Post by Nic16v »

hi guys.. forgive me if this has been asked but i searched and couldnt find anything.
my v5 engine is stuffed so im getting a new 1... the engine code is AGZ and i was advised that i need to put in the same 1. there are 2 or 2.3 motors being the AQN and AZX does anyone know what the differences are. i dont want issues with loom,sensors, plugs etc.. it must go in and just plug in. at the moment none of the importers i called have stock of the AGZ hence im asking the question. any help will be apprieciated.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Re: 2.3l 5 cylinder engines differences

Post by VAG Fan »

According to www.ultimatespecs.com :
AGZ = 10 valves, Bosch Motronic M3.8.3, 110 kW, 205 Nm, Golf 4
AQN = 20 valves, MPI Bosch Motronic ME7.1, 125 kW, 220 Nm, Golf4 / Jetta 4 / New Beetle
AZX = 20 valves, MPI Bosch Motronic ME7.1, 125 kW, 220 Nm, Passat

The AQN and AZX seem practically identical, but whether the AGZ sensors and loom are compatible with them, I can't say for sure. But given the different Motronic injection systems, I doubt it.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

One big problem I already see is that the Motronic M3.8.3 is Drive by cable vs Motronic ME7.1 being Drive by Wire.

Here alone you need to replace the throttle pedal to accommodate the newer motors.
I stand corrected but the later have individual coil packs

The ME systems(load based management) is much more advance with features like knock sensors , MAF , Lambda, O2 sensor , VVT etc...
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
Nic16v
Enlisted

Post by Nic16v »

eish.. so to be honest im not too clued up on the electrical side of things. ideally i wanted the same motor so that i can keep the car as stock as possible but that motor is 16K other AQN and AZX are 12k so i could put that in and go management i suppose but if i do go that route i might aswell buy a vr6 which is 10k... its not as straight forward as i thought it would been.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

Out of interest, what happened to your AGZ, and how bad is the damage?
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Nic16v
Enlisted

Post by Nic16v »

well i got the car as is and never drove it there was a bad noise on the motor, took it out and sent block to engineers. it needs a new crank and bigger pistons because the ridges are to bad to resleeve. so all in all buying the parts and labour to sort it out i might aswell buy another motor.. but im not buying 2nd hand from someone unless i know the condition of the motor, so only looking at importers.tell me do you think the vr6 would be a easier fit.. i font need change the gbox its basically just plugs and possibly ecu.. i checked the fuel system seems similar, again im useless when it comes to the electrical side of things.
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

Nic16v wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:54 am well i got the car as is and never drove it there was a bad noise on the motor, took it out and sent block to engineers. it needs a new crank and bigger pistons because the ridges are to bad to resleeve. so all in all buying the parts and labour to sort it out i might aswell buy another motor.. but im not buying 2nd hand from someone unless i know the condition of the motor, so only looking at importers.tell me do you think the vr6 would be a easier fit.. i font need change the gbox its basically just plugs and possibly ecu.. i checked the fuel system seems similar, again im useless when it comes to the electrical side of things.
It won't be easier , it's much more involved, If you dont have a Bosch management guru to remap than you'll be forced to go after market management - Unfortunately our local known aftermarket managements cannot run things like the Alarm , EBD , ABS , airbags etc.. So you lose all these features.

Some tuners are able to do a hybrid - others words retain the bosch unit to run the car features and the AFM to run the engine.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

That R4k price difference will disappear faster than mist before the morning sun when you start trying to make something else fit. Trust me, buy the same engine and stick it in there even if it is R6k more expensive - it will still be cheaper in the end.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Nic16v
Enlisted

Post by Nic16v »

hi.. yes so i spoke to a guy that actually put a vr6 in a golf 4 and he spent way over 29k so def not going that route. ideally yes id like the exact same motor, but its so difficult to actually find 1. so far non of the importers i spoke to have 1 so its a waiting game unless someone knows of 1
Nic16v
Enlisted

Post by Nic16v »

morning all, thought id give an update. so i ended up buying the 20v v5 motor from the newer models. i had to change and remove quite alot of things. like sensors, plugs water housings etc. im running my the AGZ coil not the coil packs. car started no warning lights on the dash, still need to do a plug in to see what all it kicks out. only major issue now is the firing... only 3 cylinders going, need to look at that, its most likely the coil.. would love to move away from it and get the individual coil packs that came with the 20v fitted but not sure how much work/ effort that will entail.... any ideas?