mk1 caddy Outer CV help!!

Post by Huzi022 »

Cant seem to find an Outer CV anywhere.

Specs:
-Gearbox side
-Short Shaft
-DFQ Gearbox
-Big head Inner
-Small Outer (24 splines on the inside with a groove for the cir-clip) the rest is the same as a standard Mk1 Outer.

closest we came was a GSP CV off a polo correct number of splines just too much play on the shaft.

any help will be appreciated, or ill need to have a shaft made up.

thanks
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: mk1 caddy Outer CV help!!

Post by PapaJo »

Dis you fit the taper teflon washer and steel washer?
Huzi022
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: ABF CADDY 118wkw@8vPerformance

Post by Huzi022 »

yip, even the guys at driveline that supplied the GSP CV said there's too much play.
the play is basically forward and back (wheel rotation direction ) not in and out
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Huzi022 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:21 pm yip, even the guys at driveline that supplied the GSP CV said there's too much play.
the play is basically forward and back (wheel rotation direction ) not in and out
In that case, let them exchange it with a replacement part.
Huzi022
Cadet

Post by Huzi022 »

PapaJo wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:29 pm
Huzi022 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:21 pm yip, even the guys at driveline that supplied the GSP CV said there's too much play.
that's the problem bud, we cant find a replacement that has 24 inner splines and standard mk1 spec outer splines that is the same size.
so the outer CV currently on is a small head and the inner is a Big head.

there's also no part number on the one currently on the car.

guess the best bet is to just make up a new shaft with a standard mk1 outer
Huzi022
Cadet

Post by Huzi022 »

that's the problem bud, we cant find a replacement that has 24 inner splines and standard mk1 spec outer splines that is the same size.

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Huzi022 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:18 am

I’m using mk1 shafts with the 100mm CV’s on gearbox side and have mk4 GTI hubs and MK4 outer CV fitted to a mk1 CV shaft with no issues at all. Same splines and widths.

I don’t get the picture of the ones you have that does not fit on the splines. Even the mk2 inner and outers have the same splines as the mk1. The one you got supplied is possibly from another car.

Take a picture or short video and post it here for us to get a better idea.
Huzi022
Cadet

Post by Huzi022 »

PapaJo wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 4:27 pm
Huzi022 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:18 am

I’m using mk1 shafts with the 100mm CV’s on gearbox side and have mk4 GTI hubs and MK4 outer CV fitted to a mk1 CV shaft with no issues at all. Same splines and widths.

I don’t get the picture of the ones you have that does not fit on the splines. Even the mk2 inner and outers have the same splines as the mk1. The one you got supplied is possibly from another car.

Take a picture or short video and post it here for us to get a better idea.
will do as soon as i can,
that's the weird part no one can match it up so it does seem like a custom shaft with a CV that we just cant find.

guys at Delarey/Kotwals/midas/driveline all tried but just cant come right.
there is a toyota cv that fits on the shaft but outer splines are thicker and longer.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Have you tried comparing the shaft with another one to check if you can see any obvious differences orcuts and welds? Then you would know if this shaft was modified.
Huzi022
Cadet

Post by Huzi022 »

PapaJo wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:19 pm Have you tried comparing the shaft with another one to check if you can see any obvious differences orcuts and welds? Then you would know if this shaft was modified.
Actually fitted a new shaft for a buddy on his caddy this weekend.
cant see any cuts or welds on mine,looks like a factory part but once again no part numbers.

his caddy also runs a short shaft but mine is about 20mm shorter.

ill take pics once i remove it in the week sometime to have a new shaft made up.

thanks for all the help bud
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Look at a scrap yard for complete shafts.

It seems to me that you have a pre 1985 Caddy. The early model cars had circlips on the inside of the outer CV joint. Remove the boot use a snapring plier to open the clip and the joint slides off. This joint doesn't use the 2 washers and is different to the later ones, I think the spline count is different.

If you do end up with 2nd hand shafts, don't buy 90mm CV diameter shafts if you want to fit 100mm joints to them, they are longer to accomodate for the shorter CV joint lengths. The difference is 18mm longer 90mm vs 100mm. It will almost work, but you will break the passenger side inner joint about twice a week till the correct length shafts are fitted.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Huzi022
Cadet

Post by Huzi022 »

missioner wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:44 am Look at a scrap yard for complete shafts.

It seems to me that you have a pre 1985 Caddy. The early model cars had circlips on the inside of the outer CV joint. Remove the boot use a snapring plier to open the clip and the joint slides off. This joint doesn't use the 2 washers and is different to the later ones, I think the spline count is different.

If you do end up with 2nd hand shafts, don't buy 90mm CV diameter shafts if you want to fit 100mm joints to them, they are longer to accomodate for the shorter CV joint lengths. The difference is 18mm longer 90mm vs 100mm. It will almost work, but you will break the passenger side inner joint about twice a week till the correct length shafts are fitted.
Caddy is a 1995 model bud,
what you saying about the shaft makes 100% sense though.
already having a custom shaft made up to take the 100mm inner and 80mm outer(which will be the 30/22 CV)

i don't see the point in struggling to find a CV every time i break the outer.