Identification details of 1889 VW Caddy LUV 1700 petrol

Rautie
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

Identification details of 1889 VW Caddy LUV 1700 petrol

Post by Rautie »

Good day to all!

I have bought an e-manual in order to restore the 1989 VW Caddy. I need specific info about the car in order to open the manual I bought.I also do not have the original booklets that came with the car.
One of the things we are looking for is the Vehicle ID -is this the same as the VIN?
I have looked for tags on the car and found an alumunuim "ticket" on the front panel next to the bonnet slot -yet, it appears that I need more information still!!
Is there anyone that can help me with a vehicle or engine id -I know it is an 1800 petrol, it develops 70kw, I have the vin which is AA VZZZ17ZKU001022
I would like to know what engin type is in the car and also what gearbox in order to open the e-manual
IS THERE AN EXPERT ON CADDYS IN SOUTH AFRICA?
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: Identification details of 1889 VW Caddy LUV 1700 petrol

Post by PapaJo »

Welcome to the forum.

Tell us in which area are you for better assistance to where to go to get it checked. You can go to your local licensing dept to get more info on your Caddy.

What specific info do you need to open the e-manual? Was the e-manual downloaded and need a password to open or what?

If you remove the air vent at the steering, you will see a plate covered in paint behind the air vent pipe. That plate and number should have the same number as the one (the aluminum ticket as you called it) on the slam tray you referred to. AFAIK the vin number is not stamped on the rain tray plate either on the engine side where the carb sit on the plate. The later models (90 onwards) have the vin stamped on the upper side of the rain tray close to the brake booster. Some models even had the aluminum plate riveted to the inside fender in front of the right front shock tower and not on the slam tray.
Rautie
Enlisted

Post by Rautie »

I wil have a look -I strongly suspect the engine is a "Jetta -type" 1800 with 5 x speed gearbox (Jetta CLX)
The air vent at the sterring -you are referring to from the engine side not cabin?
Rautie
Enlisted

Post by Rautie »

I am in Midrand, South Africa
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Engine code and number and VIN will be on the licence disc.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Rautie wrote:I wil have a look -I strongly suspect the engine is a "Jetta -type" 1800 with 5 x speed gearbox (Jetta CLX)
The air vent at the sterring -you are referring to from the engine side not cabin?
No cabin airvent in right corner between steering wheel and door. The square one.

All the info would be on license dusk also as mentioned by Jetta2.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

You need ti correct the year model 1889, that is 1989 I hope.