Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: Mk4 tdi
Membership No: missing

citi H&R koni related advise - Schoolfees paid

Post by Cass »

hi all..

i finally managed after about a year of hard saving , to purchase a proper lowering kit gor my citi.
i decided to get koni shocks , and h&R springs. the reason for my choice....after doing a lot of research i determined that h&r drop would suit me perfectly , coz it doesnt go as low as koni springs do , and eibach these days seems like its manufactured in china...also the eibach would be the same height as my current nforce + gasryder drop....just be proper as i imagined it...

so i determined that autoquip in centurion stocks what i want...ring them up..and they told me that they have such an koni shock and h&r spring combo available...and determined that they are supplied by steve from koni sa...so saving myself the drive to east rand , i went there..

so here is my quessie..

upon arriving , i noticed that the kit consisted of , h&r front shocks , koni rear shocks , and koni springs all round..
expressing my concern about the koni coils going low , as determined by hours of research on the forum...the floor manager assured me that i need not worry , as koni and h&r coils are the same , and they drop the same...so i let them continue...

afteward i realise the car dropped low...lower than my nforce.. lower than i imagined , and i recon its on koni springs instead of h&r ,despite expressing my concern...

dont get me wrong...the ride is still good , wayyyy beter than any nforce can be. the car handles well , and i recon the koni springs are superb lowering springs....

i just feel for me , it just goes a bit too low..im having trouble getting up my driveway and stuff..

so...i ask , what do proper h&R springs look like? and how does it look on a citi? would anyone mind posting a pic of their h&R dropped citi.? is there anyone in pretoria , i could meet that i can see what they should look like? and would fitting a h&r kit..raise my ride height a little?

below are sum pics of my ride , with its current setup...

front strut with silver H&R shocks and blue koni coils..
rear shocks are koni and also are fitted with the blue koni coils..

remenber these coils are 2 days old , and still have to settle..

i just feel , if u spend 6,5k of your hard earned cash...its needs to be what u want..i mean my intentions were good..i want a proper setup...

any help..any advise..would be greatly appreciated!

thanx
cass
current: vw Golf mk4
1.9 Tdi

Ex: 92 citi rocketship (stolen)
Kums
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n3
Membership No: 1361

Re: citi H&R koni related advise - Schoolfees paid

Post by Kums »

i know there guys at Autoquip centurion very well..im sure they got a good kit for you..

alot of guys put Koni springs all round..it sits low..H&R springs sit higher..tell them you want the H&R springs..and your car will be higher..
9n3 polo
im only the pilot,vw did everything else

Cass
Cadet

Post by Cass »

they did an superb instalation, they realy did. The original agreement was, to put h&r...but i got assured into konis..now its a bit low!
1.9 Tdi

MacMan
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Car Make: SEAT
Car Model: Tarraco XC 1.5 TSi
Membership No: 478

Post by MacMan »

I had Koni springs on my Citi (with shortened GasRyders) and the ride height was way too low. If I just went through a dip in the road the tyres would hit the arches and eventually chunks of tread were getting cut out of the tyre. The guys at CRS rolled the arches, which reduced the catching a little bit, but the tyres would still catch on bigger bumps. The reason I was given by CRS is that the springs are designed for the MK1, which is apparently lighter than our Citi Golfs.... I called **** and sold the Konis and got a set of Eibachs, which were the perfect height.

Also how sure are you that those are H&R shocks? As far as I know the only H&R shocks you can get are in their Cup kits, and even then I wouldn't be surprised if the shocks in those kits are actually Bilstein shocks.
'20 SEAT Tarraco XC 1.5 TSi
'12 VW Up! 1.0 MPi

Ex:
'06 Golf MKV GTi
'04 Golf MKIV GTi.:R
'99 Citi Golf 2.0i

Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears.
Psycho8v
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Citi Golf
Membership No: 1881

Post by Psycho8v »

Hey buddy. The H&R coils are dark green in colour. From the pics you posted, I'd say my H&R's sit higher than what your car sits at now. Maybe you should get in contact with these guys and if you can, get your money back and go directly to Steve. He knows his stuff, and won't try to screw you over.
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3

Post by Killerwatt »

koni springs do sit real low, on my mk3 with 15s and 40mm drop in front my mudflaps hit the reflectors on the freeway lol.
The design on the Koni and h&r springs are way different, the h&r's have a progressive spring rate and the koni have a fixed rate. you can see this as the coil spacing on the h&r's vary while the koni's have an even coil spacing.

I would take the car back and express that you are not happy with the drop. You were told the springs are the same although they are definitly not. So it would only be right for autoquip to give you the products that you requested. After all you did express you concern about the very issue you have now.
Cass
Cadet

Post by Cass »

dont get me wrong...im not dissing the konis. The drive wel. The car corners on a dime...and handles wel at speed...the instalation is also done superbly, and i defnitly recomend the workmanship the guys at autoquip centurion offer..

My only compaint is that i did not get what i had in mind...and i know, i was at fault aswell, i should hav said no, instead of giving them the benefit of the doubt... But now i hav a daily thats a bit too low..

@macman...im glad im not the only guy thats made this mistake.and the silver shock in the pick, was defnitly branded h&r...and there was a slight talk in the shop, about the same setup as the cup cars...yet, i dont hav any complaints about the shocks...as long as they are decent!
1.9 Tdi

zain_c
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years 2 months
Car Model: Accord + MK2 Jetta CSi

Post by zain_c »

Below...

H&R Kit with Ian Glass shocks. Toooo high for my liking.

And below are the Koni's. :-)

2010 Honda Accord K24
1992 MK2 Jetta CSi

ex:
86 MK2 Jetta CLX
88 MK2 Golf CSL
14 6R Polo
97 Caddy
83 MK1 GTi
04 Citi 14.7 s2s Killarney
06 MK5 Golf
92 MK2 2.0 16v GTi Exec
88 MK2 CLi 1.9 16v 15.0 Killarney
96 MK3 GTS
Cass
Cadet

Post by Cass »

wow..

ur ride sits a good 20 mm lower than mine , with konis...yet mine still has to settle
1.9 Tdi

J-10-M
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 5 months
Car Model: MK5 GTI

Post by J-10-M »

6 years ago......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Abnormal
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 19 years 11 months
Membership No: 848

Post by Abnormal »

hmmm what could be for sale.
\Oo) \ _w_ / (oO/
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Abnormal wrote:hmmm what could be for sale.
41 more posts to find out...
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
J-10-M
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 5 months
Car Model: MK5 GTI

Post by J-10-M »

Neuk wrote:
Abnormal wrote:hmmm what could be for sale.
41 more posts to find out...
Maybe he has an Audi for you....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk