Mitch
Colonel
Registered for: 11 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.0 R-Line
Membership No: 1840

What tyre spec on DTM's

Post by Mitch »

I currently have 225/40/18 (stock tyre size) all round. When I rotated the tyres, putting the better tread tyres upfront, there is quite an unpleasant amount of rubbing. The car is a daily and it was liveable with fairly worn down tyres. I need to put 2 new tyres in the front.

What profile should I go for that will trim down the tyre a bit. My car isn't extremely low, but the fitment of the DTM's is a bit more aggressive.

Pic below for ride height. I can go lower if I can get the front to stop rubbing.

Current:
2019 VW Polo Vivo GT 1.0TSI (Reef Blue Metallic)

Past:
2019 Toyota Rav-4 GX-R AWD (Graphite Grey Metallic)
2019 VW Polo 1.0 R-Line (Reef Blue Metallic)
2012 VW MKVI GTI (Candy White)
2011 VW Polo 6R Comfortline (Black Magic Pearl)
2008 Opel Corsa Lite+ (Silver)
1990 VW Fox 1.3 (Red)
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Re: What tyre spec on DTM's

Post by Neuk »

What is the ET difference between the stock 18" wheels and the DTM wheels? What are the specs of the DTM wheels?
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Mitch
Colonel

Post by Mitch »

8J I can't remember the offset.

I remember working it out to be either 15mm or 20mm or thereabouts more stickingoutness than the stock wheel.

The tyres now touch when driving over harsh bumps or dongas. And some speedhumps.
Current:

Past:
1990 VW Fox 1.3 (Red)
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Mitch wrote:8J I can't remember the offset.

I remember working it out to be either 15mm or 20mm or thereabouts more stickingoutness than the stock wheel.

The tyres now touch when driving over harsh bumps or dongas. And some speedhumps.
There is your problem, the 15mm or 20mm ET difference and I think the stock wheels are only 7.5J?
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Mitch
Colonel

Post by Mitch »

Neuk wrote:

There is your problem, the 15mm or 20mm ET difference and I think the stock wheels are only 7.5J?
Yeah i know that is the problem. Which is why i want to fit smaller tyres. Not stretched, but a little less meat. The wheels have a near flush fitment
Current:

Past:
1990 VW Fox 1.3 (Red)
JasonCPT
Lieutenant
Registered for: 11 years 8 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A4 1.8T
Membership No: missing

Post by JasonCPT »

215/40 should be fine. I run them on my 9j's with no issues (they are stretched).

2004 B6 Audi A4 1.8T - Atlas Grey
FK Automotive | Forge | Jaylan Performance | Zeetech Customs | VAGAS | Ratchet Garage
NHB_R
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 10 months
Membership No: missing

Post by NHB_R »

You can also machine 5mm off the wheel itself? Should the tyre change not be a viable route.
I would prefer to keep as much rubber on as possible
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Mitch wrote:The tyres now touch when driving over harsh bumps or dongas. And some speedhumps.
I had the same on my Mk5 with the DTM's with the same tyre size, I did the front fender mod (screw and lip) and that helped a lot. Also you can roll fenders.....
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Mitch wrote:
Neuk wrote:

Yeah i know that is the problem. Which is why i want to fit smaller tyres. Not stretched, but a little less meat. The wheels have a near flush fitment
I would rather address the issue than put a band aid on it but that is just me. A slightly narrower tyre like @JasonCPT suggests might help a bit and it shouldn't stretch too much on an 8J.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yup fix it by raising the thing a little. It already looks like the suspension is broke as it stands there. :smile:
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Mitch
Colonel

Post by Mitch »

panic-mechanic wrote:Yup fix it by raising the thing a little. It already looks like the suspension is broke as it stands there. :smile:
I am trying very hard to not do this. If anything I would like to make it lower occassionally.
Current:

Past:
1990 VW Fox 1.3 (Red)
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Honestly this is one thing where i just about differ with probably 90% of people here. I like cars with usable and working suspensions.
Turning a car into a uncomfortable scraping useless piece of junk that looks like carp to me anyway is something I just don't get.
That 'look' I hate and what it actually does to,cars in terms of damage I hate even more. To me if you want that look then stick it on air for when you feel you should show off or whatever it is called and then pick the thing up to a comfortable safe for the car and conditions height for everyday use. This dragging it's arse on the ground like a scooting dog all the time is just stupid. It damages suspension parts and underbodies all the time.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

panic-mechanic wrote:Honestly this is one thing where i just about differ with probably 90% of people here. I like cars with usable and working suspensions.
Turning a car into a uncomfortable scraping useless piece of junk that looks like carp to me anyway is something I just don't get.
That 'look' I hate and what it actually does to,cars in terms of damage I hate even more. To me if you want that look then stick it on air for when you feel you should show off or whatever it is called and then pick the thing up to a comfortable safe for the car and conditions height for everyday use. This dragging it's arse on the ground like a scooting dog all the time is just stupid. It damages suspension parts and underbodies all the time.
This! :hurray: someone said it

Whats the point of modding a car literally broken and making it impractical to be used as a vehicle.

To answer the OP's question, A narrower Tyre is the easiest option apart from raising the car abit.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
Mitch
Colonel

Post by Mitch »

ICE King wrote:
panic-mechanic wrote:Honestly this is one thing where i just about differ with probably 90% of people here. I like cars with usable and working suspensions.

Whats the point of modding a car literally broken and making it impractical to be used as a vehicle.

To answer the OP's question, A narrower Tyre is the easiest option apart from raising the car abit.
Different strokes for different folks. I prefer the look of a lowered car, so i lower my car. I'm hesitant on a narrower tyre though. will try lifting it up a little bit, just to help clearance with new tyres.

FWIW i drive my car about 3000km a month, at this height (for the last 1.5 years or so), and it hasn't been an inconvenience to be low.
Current:

Past:
1990 VW Fox 1.3 (Red)
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

Mitch wrote:
ICE King wrote:

Different strokes for different folks. I prefer the look of a lowered car, so i lower my car. I'm hesitant on a narrower tyre though. will try lifting it up a little bit, just to help clearance with new tyres.

FWIW i drive my car about 3000km a month, at this height (for the last 1.5 years or so), and it hasn't been an inconvenience to be low.
Fully understand and that's fair bro. everyone has their own traits. The look does look tits when lowered.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

slightly lowered they look nice. half the tyre hidden by the wheel arch. Nope.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10