Sunset Red VW Polo - Detailed by Lawrence

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Sunset Red VW Polo - Detailed by Lawrence

Post by lawrence »

I was contacted by the owner of this car who wanted it cleaned up before a recent show n shine event in KZN (the detail was done toward the end of March). The the front bumper has had some work and as is often the case, the quality of the finishing by the 'body shop' was really sub-par - holograms / buffer trails, sanding marks, clear-coat strikethroughs and the obligatory polish residue left in crevices and on the black textured plastics and rubbers was obviously deemed acceptable.

Muppets :mad: :cry:

The client was on a limited budget and the scope of the detail was to get the wheels, tyres and fender liners cleaned up and protected, to wash, decon, correct and protect the paint, to sort out the glass, polish the exhaust tip and sort out the exterior plastics - no work was planned for the interior or engine bay (I did however land up throwing in a basic engine bay awipedown / dress anyway though, although never grabbed any pics of that).

Some early morning shots of the condition on delivery - the sun was obviously not very high in the sky and so although not too many swirls were visible at this point, the car was really full of them.

A rather nasty deep scratch

Arches: Rinsed with a pressure washer, sprayed with Carchem APC via a foaming trigger head and allowed to dwell and then agitated with a large Wheel Woolie. This was followed with another pressure rinse.

Tyres: Cleaned with Carchem APC and a Mothers Tyre Brush and later dressed with 2 coats of Ma Fra Black 3 Plus Tyre Restorer.

b]Wheels and brake calipers:[/b] Rinsed with a pressure washer then cleaned using Carchem APC and a Wheel Woolies and a Autofinesse Boar Hairs brush and dried. You will notice that the pressure washer took off some of the red paint on the caliper. I immediately contacted the owner who confirmed they had been DIY'd with poor prep, hence the ease with which the paint flaked off. I cleaned up the area properly and touched it up using some of the same paint he had used and discussed how a proper paint should be re-done at some point.

The wheels were then thoroughly sprayed with Carchem Revolt which was agitated after being allowed to dwell for a few minutes, using the same brushes, and then thoroughly rinsed and dried them.

Carpro TarX was used to remove any tar spots. The wheels were then foamed using Turtle Wax Hyperfoam when the rest of the car was being washed - this would ensure there were no remaining residue on the surface. They were then sealed using Carpro Hydro.

Door shuts, boot shut, window rubbers, fuel flap, badges etc: Cleaned using Carchem APC with Autofinesse brushes and then pressure rinsed. The door shuts were then dried and protected using Gyeon Cure.

Wash: Pre-foamed using Turtle Wax Hyperfoam via a foam cannon

Followed by a 2BM wash with Lambswool wash mitts and Carchem Luxury Shampoo.

Dry: ONR at QD strength with WW Drying towels and an electric blower

Decontamination: Carchem Revolt, Carpro TarX and Shield Heavy Duty Grade Clay with ONR as lube.

This left the paint 'bare' and ready for inspection, paint measurements, test spots and then the actual correction and refining. You can see just how bad the paint was to start with.

Before

Correction: Menzerna SHC 300 / Lake Country Orange Hybrid / Flex 3401 followed by Carpro Essence / Lake Country White Hybrid / Flex 3401

After initial correction only

Before

After initial correction and refining polish but before LSP

Before - a very deep scratch that I never intended to fully remove, just improve

After

Here is an example of a strikethrough on the sharp edge of the bumper

Whomever was polishing there either a) hasn't been trained properly in the art of polishing paint and thus shouldn't be doing it or b) has been trained as is just too damn lazy to do the right thing. The only fix is to repaint the bumper and it all could have been avoided in a few seconds by taping it off like this.

Speaking of lazy.... nothing like not bothering to polish out the sanding marks where the rear license plate would sit... because... well... you know, it's not like anyone will see it anyway right! :bang:

Before

After

Before

After

Protection: Gyeon Cure

Glass : Autoglym Fast Glass Cleaner / Wynns C-Thru

Door rubbers, plastic trim : Shield Heavy Duty Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner / Carchem Trim and Tyre Gel

Before

After

Exhaust tips: Carchem APC / Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish / Mothers Powerball

Before

After

Naturally as the owner came to collect it, it started raining :roll: so not many after pics

Total time spent = 24 hours

As always thanks for looking and any questions or comments are welcome.

:hi:
Rsi huntered
Captain
Registered for: 15 years 6 months
Membership No: missing

Re: Sunset Red VW Polo - Detailed by Lawrence

Post by Rsi huntered »

Car looks Lovely :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Really big difference.....
Golf 6 Ed. 35 - 2013 (FR&R Tuned)
Tiguan 2018 R-Line :evil:
Polo 6C Ex
2004 Golf 1 Baby 1.4i +VAT :evil: 76.3 WHP@K.A.R
Polo 2008(9n3)Ex:-(
Golf 1(2 door)branch,exhaust,domingo's,leather seats,electric windows, 2.0L 16v ( sold ) :cry: Ex.
Golf 2 2L 16v full house(RIP) :bang: Ex
Jetta 2 1.8 16v full house(sold) Ex
Rsi huntered
Captain
Registered for: 15 years 6 months
Membership No: missing

Post by Rsi huntered »

Forgot to mention..... I love that look of the water droplets in the first couple of wash's :drool: :drool:
Golf 6 Ed. 35 - 2013 (FR&R Tuned)
Tiguan 2018 R-Line :evil:
Polo 6C Ex
2004 Golf 1 Baby 1.4i +VAT :evil: 76.3 WHP@K.A.R
Polo 2008(9n3)Ex:-(
Golf 1(2 door)branch,exhaust,domingo's,leather seats,electric windows, 2.0L 16v ( sold ) :cry: Ex.
Golf 2 2L 16v full house(RIP) :bang: Ex
Jetta 2 1.8 16v full house(sold) Ex
LostEnigma
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 10 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: S3 8L
Membership No: 3207

Post by LostEnigma »

Lawrence, as always, your work is beyond incredible!

I do have 2 questions though.

1) I have customers asking me endlessly on how to maintain the gloss b pillars, pano roof pieces etc.. My correction on them is perfect and not a swirl can be found once i'm done... I just would like to know what you tell a customer when they ask you the above please?

2) Are you using tapatalk to upload pics? Photobucket has become an absolute nightmare and that is the main reason i don't really upload any of my work
Current:

2003 Mexico Blue Audi S3 8L 280.7 WKW - 424NM - Bagged by FS Projects, YT Revision & Only Charged Dubs - ISPIRI WHEELS FTW

Ex:

2013 VW Candy White Polo Vivo GT - SOLD
1997 VW White Chico Golf - SOLD
Kyle
General
Registered for: 11 years
Car Make: Porsche
Car Model: Adidas TYP 64
Membership No: 1922

Post by Kyle »

Awesome work LA!, that car was in a proper state!

If I may :
LostEnigma wrote:Lawrence, as always, your work is beyond incredible!

1) I have customers asking me endlessly on how to maintain the gloss b pillars, pano roof pieces etc.. My correction on them is perfect and not a swirl can be found once i'm done... I just would like to know what you tell a customer when they ask you the above please?

These pillars are soft and marr if you even look at the with the wrong expression on your face, the thing I would recommend is PPF.

2) Are you using tapatalk to upload pics? Photobucket has become an absolute nightmare and that is the main reason i don't really upload any of my work
Current:
'03 BMW E46 330i Individual

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
E46 320i Individual MSport,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
LostEnigma
Captain

Post by LostEnigma »

Kyle wrote:Awesome work LA!, that car was in a proper state!

If I may :

These pillars are soft and marr if you even look at the with the wrong expression on your face, the thing I would recommend is PPF.

Kyle may I ask for a non abbreviated version please :fear:
Current:

2003 Mexico Blue Audi S3 8L 280.7 WKW - 424NM - Bagged by FS Projects, YT Revision & Only Charged Dubs - ISPIRI WHEELS FTW

Ex:

Kyle
General

Post by Kyle »

LostEnigma wrote:

If I may :

Sure bud, Paint Protection film, one brand commonly used locally is VPS
Current:

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
LostEnigma
Captain

Post by LostEnigma »

Kyle wrote:
LostEnigma wrote:

If I may :

Sure bud, Paint Protection film, one brand commonly used locally is VPS
If you had said vps, I'd have clicked right away haha... BUT most PPF's don't like sealants or waxes under them as they battle to stick.. so it's gonna be cleaned off and ruined before the ppf anyhow haha.. But will keep it as a suggestion for customers! Thanks man.. I really appreciate it!

Lawrence please don't forget about point 2 please? THANK YOU!
Current:

Ex:

Kyle
General

Post by Kyle »

The trick is to apply the PPF yourself ;)
Current:

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Rsi huntered wrote:Car looks Lovely :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Really big difference.....
Thank you

Thanks bud.

1. PPF is really the only way to truly protect the surface from scratches, but its not always gonna be possible/practical for everyone. With the plastics being so soft, you can a) make sure you always wash them first, whilst your wash mitt is still 100% clean (after having pre-rinsed/washed the area first) and b) particularly for the B-pillars, make sure they are not used for opening and closing the doors - thats what door handles are for but you will be surprised how many people hold the B pillar when closing the door.

2. No, I upload all my pics to Photobucket and link from there. I did upgrade my account with them some time back so maybe that's why I don't have issues?
Thanks Kyle :hug:
LostEnigma wrote: If you had said vps, I'd have clicked right away haha... BUT most PPF's don't like sealants or waxes under them as they battle to stick.. so it's gonna be cleaned off and ruined before the ppf anyhow haha.. But will keep it as a suggestion for customers! Thanks man.. I really appreciate it!

Lawrence please don't forget about point 2 please? THANK YOU!
Nothing you want to 'stick' to your paint is going to stick well over a freshly waxed or sealed surface so you have a few options.

1. Correct the pillars, then do a wipe down using something like Gyeon Prep/Carpro Eraser/Menzerna Top inspection etc which will provide a bare surface - I would not recommend IPA for this step BTW

2. Polish with something like Carpro Essence as your final polish which will negate the need for step 1 as it is a polish that leaves nothing behind on the surface.

3. Apply the PPF

4. Put some form of protection over the PPF to help keep it 100%
DieterMK5
Lieutenant
Registered for: 10 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 1.9 TDi
Membership No: 3015

Post by DieterMK5 »

Very impressed Lawrence! Well done on your work, always love going through your posts.

In terms of PPF, you should have a look at films in the market, as some like Magnus Pro, have a coating over them which helps seal the film. Also some have self healing properties and super hydrophobic abilities.

Lastly out of interest sake, Ceramic Pro now has specifically manufactured a product for PPF and another one for Vinyl. I will do a write up as soon as I have all the facts on these products.

The PPF market is growing and as such I think it's worthwhile for a Detailer to be able to offer this service, if not a full Product offering, perhaps for things similar to this.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Dietermk4 wrote:Very impressed Lawrence! Well done on your work, always love going through your posts.
Thanks bud :hug:
Uvy
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 20 years
Car Make: VW and Seat
Car Model: MK2 GTi 16V Golf
Membership No: 1740

Post by Uvy »

Awesome work LA
Heaven on Earth - VAG for life
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Uvy wrote:Awesome work LA
Thanks bud :hug:
Kiran
Thumbie
Registered for: 13 years 2 months
Car Model: Golf 1 Citi
Membership No: 2028

Post by Kiran »

Brilliant work as always LA, very smart looking polo
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

I love this colour, and Lawrence, your work has certainly brought it out.

The first time I saw anything like it, was in 1978 on the (then) new Audi 100. It was called Firedance Red. I was in love...
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Kiran wrote:Brilliant work as always LA, very smart looking polo
Thanks Kiran!!!
VAG Fan wrote:I love this colour, and Lawrence, your work has certainly brought it out.

The first time I saw anything like it, was in 1978 on the (then) new Audi 100. It was called Firedance Red. I was in love...
Thank you!