Corrupted VW Cluster - Key Coding at Barons

Chiseled Jawline
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Corrupted VW Cluster - Key Coding at Barons

Post by Chiseled Jawline »

Hi all

I am at a stale mate with VW Barons at the moment and I'm looking for guidance. Here is my story.

I have a VW 2010 Polo (polo 6) 1.6TDi (I am the second owner).
Earlier this year I lost my key for the car while I was at work, and at the time this was the only key for my car.

Naturally, I called a locksmith to find out if they could sort me out.
The locksmith sorted me out with a new key within the day and also asked if I would like to remove the lost key from the system - I said yes as I didn't want somebody random who maybe picked up the lost key to gain access to my car. My lost key eventually was then found at work a week later.

A couple of months go by and I take my car for a standard service at Barons, I also requested Barons to code the 'lost' key. They say sure thing and go ahead with the service and do whatever they do with the cars that need work to be done.
Later in the day, the paw paw hits the fan.

Barons informed me that during their key coding process, my cluster was corrupted of sorts. They then asked if both of keys were obtained other than through them. I said yes, for the new key the locksmith sorted me out. I also told them that the 'lost' key (the one I needed to be coded) as far as I know is original (I got this key with the car when I purchased it through a dealer - Westvaal).
Barons said that both of these keys are unoriginal keys and as a result my cluster is corrupted. Also, they can only know if the keys are unoriginal when they perform the coding process.

I was given two choices: 1) Get 2 new keys through them at an expensive and 2+ days or 2) Get the locksmith to sort it out from my experience was quick.
I opted for option 2 as it's the cheaper and the quicker option. Barons said that they will tow the car there and get the locksmith to sort it out.

The locksmith luckily had a backup of the software for my cluster, reload it up and sorted out the new key with a new chip. The locksmith didn't sort out the 'lost' key. Basically the car is back in the same state I took it to Barons.

I get a call from Barons to say my car is ready for collection. I arrive at Barons and find out that my car is still at the locksmith as the locksmith is not releasing the car because he hasn't been paid. Barons tell me that I must pay for the service and then I must go to the locksmith to collect my car and then pay the locksmith. :crazy:

Barons believe that I should pay for the locksmith work because It was may fault because I didn't disclose that they keys are non-original.
I believe Barons should pay because I am not aware of any of these issues/risks as I am basically a layman and Barons didn't disclose these risks. Obviously if I knew the risks, I wouldn't request the coding to be done by Barons. I don't know the difference between an original key and non-original key and the risks they oppose - I am not the expert here, Barons however are!

I am currently going to take this issue up with the Dealer Principal.

Any advice out there? Am I being unreasonable, I don't think the liability solely rests on me?
Current: VW Polo 1.6TDi
Used to have: VW Golf 3
Used to have: VW Beetle
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Corrupted VW Cluster - Key Coding at Barons

Post by panic-mechanic »

You chose the cheap option when you did the first code. Thus knowing it is not a VW original key. You will get absolutely nowhere trying to fight them on this. Pay up for the locksmith and don't ever ask VW for key coding again.
Barons did not know to disclose anything because you did not disclose that you have obtained the key from another source. How would they know to tell you if you did not tell first.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

panic-mechanic wrote:You chose the cheap option when you did the first code. Thus knowing it is not a VW original key. You will get absolutely nowhere trying to fight them on this. Pay up for the locksmith and don't ever ask VW for key coding again.
Barons did not know to disclose anything because you did not disclose that you have obtained the key from another source. How would they know to tell you if you did not tell first.
This......

..... and be glad you're not in for a new for a new cluster and all that entails.
Chiseled Jawline
Enlisted

panic-mechanic wrote:You chose the cheap option when you did the first code. Thus knowing it is not a VW original key. You will get absolutely nowhere trying to fight them on this. Pay up for the locksmith and don't ever ask VW for key coding again.
Eish! That's basically where I am sitting.
However, they are the experts in the field and I feel that whenever key coding is done they should ask this question to prevent this type of situation. Surely if a customer requests to code the key, it's be a red flag? Thus leading to the question why it's needed it to be coded? I have no idea how the keys work (I am better informed now however, hindsight always 20/20).
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Chiseled Jawline wrote:Surely if a customer requests to code the key, it's be a red flag? Thus leading to the question why it's needed it to be coded? I have no idea how the keys work (I am better informed now however, hindsight always 20/20).
Nope, take ownership of the situation. They don't know and you should have told them the whole story. That way you would have got a better outcome. When I ask for something to be done, I give as much information as possible.
Chiseled Jawline
Enlisted

If I went to VW initially the first time, I would still be in the same situation I am in now. As that key (lost key) was also not an original.

Lessons learnt I suppose.
I hope others learn from my experience, as I'm sure this will/has happen to others.
chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi ADY

Post by chucker02 »

Chiseled Jawline wrote:If I went to VW initially the first time, I would still be in the same situation I am in now. As that key (lost key) was also not an original.

I hope others learn from my experience, as I'm sure this will/has happen to others.
So you know that the one you lost is not an original one but you had no clue that the one from the locksmith was also not an original? In the future tell VW exactly what happened and why you want to have the key coded as then they know that it wont be an original key as you got it from a locksmith and not through them.
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle
Justin_B
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Up!
Membership No: 2024

Post by Justin_B »

As far as I understand, the op didn't know the lost key wasn't oem as it was the one received when the car was purchased from a different dealer....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chiseled Jawline
Enlisted

chucker02 wrote:
Chiseled Jawline wrote:If I went to VW initially the first time, I would still be in the same situation I am in now. As that key (lost key) was also not an original.

So you know that the one you lost is not an original one but you had no clue that the one from the locksmith was also not an original? In the future tell VW exactly what happened and why you want to have the key coded as then they know that it wont be an original key as you got it from a locksmith and not through them.
I didn't know that any of the keys were unoriginal. To me a key is a key.
Yes, for the future I will inform VW of everything that isn't direct obtained directly from them. Including the air refresher, just in case that has an influence on how the car's runs. However, from this experience I won't take the car to them anymore.

Will see what happens when everybody is back at work tomorrow.