Rec counter MP9 conversion

dorian.bmw35
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 11 months

Rec counter MP9 conversion

Post by dorian.bmw35 »

Can you please help me , i change from carb to Mp9 and kept the old wiring with dash, I cannot get the rev counter to work. It used to be connect to the coil on the carb engin.
Torker
General
Registered for: 18 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf GT
Membership No: 1464

Re: Rec counter MP9 conversion

Post by Torker »

dorian.bmw35 wrote:Can you please help me , i change from carb to Mp9 and kept the old wiring with dash, I cannot get the rev counter to work. It used to be connect to the coil on the carb engin.
MP9 rev counter shares the signal from the distributor trigger (pin 2) with the ECU. I don't think the 5V signal will be sufficient to drive an older rev counter. One solution would be to ditch the 3-pin coil and fit a normal 2-pin coil with a TP100 module. You will be able to pick up the trigger from there again.
Current rides:

VW Golf - 83 GT 2.1 16V 2-door with throttles
VW Golf - 78 LS 2.0 8V 4-door (2.1 ABF with throttles in progress)
VW Golf - '08 Citi Storm - 1.4 for now
Hyundai - 1.4 Getz (daily)
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Torker wrote:
dorian.bmw35 wrote:Can you please help me , i change from carb to Mp9 and kept the old wiring with dash, I cannot get the rev counter to work. It used to be connect to the coil on the carb engin.
MP9 rev counter shares the signal from the distributor trigger (pin 2) with the ECU. I don't think the 5V signal will be sufficient to drive an older rev counter. One solution would be to ditch the 3-pin coil and fit a normal 2-pin coil with a TP100 module. You will be able to pick up the trigger from there again.
:iagree:

Use a 2 pin coil wired to a TP100 and then you can pick up the pulse for the rev counter on pin 7 on the TP100.
-=sT3V3=-
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 1 month
Car Make: ShitiGolf + CRX
Car Model: 92' ADY + 91' B20Vtec

Post by -=sT3V3=- »

or...

solder your rev counter wire directly to the 3 pin coil.

Search for it on here, the 3 pin coil basically has a coil driver built in, you just need to hijack one of the 2 wires to the coil bit for rev counter input.

"1" in the picture
dorian.bmw35
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 11 months

Post by dorian.bmw35 »

-=sT3V3=- wrote:or...

Search for it on here, the 3 pin coil basically has a coil driver built in, you just need to hijack one of the 2 wires to the coil bit for rev counter input.

"1" in the picture
, i cannot open the pic
Torker
General

Post by Torker »

dorian.bmw35 wrote:
-=sT3V3=- wrote:or...

"1" in the picture
, i cannot open the pic
Current rides:

Robz
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Model: Polo Classic 20V
Membership No: 3256

Post by Robz »

I have a quad module with input signals from Dictator ECU and I battle to get my REV counter on my Polo classic 6n to work. I had to buy a tachometer and connect it with my Dictator ECU just to have some sort of RPM info. Now I'm no expert in wiring ECU's and learn everyday so maybe someone can help me out as well. :lol:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

What does a quad module look like. Don't know dictator well enough. Surely it only runs in wasted sparkmfashion though so two actualy spark outs from dictator?
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Robz
Cadet

Post by Robz »

Yes there are 2 input signals from the dictator and yes it is wasted spark bud.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

But hang on your polo should have had a rev counter out from the mp9. Would have been pin9 a green wire.
If you can locate that you should be able to connect it to the dicktator rpm out.
If that does not give you an rpm reading sometimes all it needs a a 2k2 resitor to a 12v line and it works. The mk3 needed that so likely the polo would need the same.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Robz
Cadet

Post by Robz »

panic-mechanic wrote:But hang on your polo should have had a rev counter out from the mp9. Would have been pin9 a green wire.
If you can locate that you should be able to connect it to the dicktator rpm out.
If that does not give you an rpm reading sometimes all it needs a a 2k2 resitor to a 12v line and it works. The mk3 needed that so likely the polo would need the same.
Yes sir alles was mp9 and a bud of mine told me I needed a resistor, but never knew exactly what he was talking about.
Where will this green wire be? Still connected to the MP9 ECU plug?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Of course I have no idea where it would be currently but yes likely still connected to the mp9 plug if somebody did not cut it off.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Robz
Cadet

Post by Robz »

panic-mechanic wrote:Of course I have no idea where it would be currently but yes likely still connected to the mp9 plug if somebody did not cut it off.
Will have a look as I only disconnected the plug from the MP9 ECU(Sold the ECU) and haven't cut of any wires from the plug. Was looking on mp9 wiring diagrams and on there they show that there is no wire in pin 9. Will let you know if I can locate the wire.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Don't know what document you are using but trust me pin 9 is the rpm out and it's usually green.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Torker
General

Post by Torker »

panic-mechanic wrote:Don't know what document you are using but trust me pin 9 is the rpm out and it's usually green.
Might be different on various models but when I buzzed out the wiring on my Velo there was no wire on pin 9. I made a plug and play Dicktator harness (basically plugged the Dicktator into the MP9 harness) and the rev counter still worked on the original wiring. As a matter of fact I just finished a plug and play setup for a guy in Namibia this morning and on a Golf the rev counter doesn't get the rpm signal from the ECU. What we found where we installed the Dicktator on top of the original wiring, as soon as you cut the original wire on pin 2 on the dizzy the rev counter stops working (with MP9 plugged out and running on Dicktator). We only use the tacho out to drive the older type rev counters.
Current rides:

Robz
Cadet

Post by Robz »

Torker wrote:
panic-mechanic wrote:Don't know what document you are using but trust me pin 9 is the rpm out and it's usually green.
Might be different on various models but when I buzzed out the wiring on my Velo there was no wire on pin 9. I made a plug and play Dicktator harness (basically plugged the Dicktator into the MP9 harness) and the rev counter still worked on the original wiring. As a matter of fact I just finished a plug and play setup for a guy in Namibia this morning and on a Golf the rev counter doesn't get the rpm signal from the ECU. What we found where we installed the Dicktator on top of the original wiring, as soon as you cut the original wire on pin 2 on the dizzy the rev counter stops working (with MP9 plugged out and running on Dicktator). We only use the tacho out to drive the older type rev counters.
The wiring diagram was actually from a velocity so yes it may differ from my mp9 wiring diagram. And really hope I can actually just plug the green wire into my Tacho out if it has the green wire or if I can find it.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

On citi it gets the tacho signal from the dissy and then converts it to drive the tacho. So on those basically i would normally put the aftermarket management tacho out into the wire that would normally have come from the hall sender and everything happily works again.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Robz
Cadet

Post by Robz »

Panic , I would just like to clarify 100% by what you meant with "all it needs a a 2k2 resitor to a 12v line". Between the Dictator ECU tacho out wire and the pin 9 green wire I should add a 2k2 resistor where both wires should connect to each other?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Firstly connect it just straight and see if it comes alive.
If not then take a 2k2 resistor and join the one end to that line and the other end to a switched 12v + line.
It's called volt up - it raises the signal strength basically.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Robz
Cadet

Post by Robz »

So I connected the green pin9 wire(There was one) straight the the Tacho out on Dictator and Wualla it works just fine, but then my cluster started making the most terrible beeping noise because of oil pressure sensors not connected. :lol: Still need to get the OEM sensors for my polo and see if it will fit on the AGU's oil filter housing so I can get rid of that beeping. So thank you Panic, really appreciate your help!
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

No worries.
The sensors all scre into the same thread yes so will fit.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Old School Quintin
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 7 months
Car Model: MK1 16v

Post by Old School Quintin »

Torker wrote: Wed May 18, 2016 12:54 pm
I still have my original coil in what do i need to do to get the rev-counter working again
2008 VW CitiRox
Abf 45mm ITB
Under construction
Seeking ponies
Robz
Cadet

Post by Robz »

Had a Polo classic 1999 old spec with Pin9(Green wire) as the tacho wire that I connected straight to dictator's RPM out and worked fine.

Now have the 2001 model with millenium dash and the wiring to the ECU is totally different to my old polo.

This time it had no wire in pin9, but played around and found a green wire coming from inside the car and connected that one to the RPM out of the dictator and worked fine.

Sent the car in to get Boost pipes, DP & branch done and after that, started the car up and RPM didn't work anymore and oil buzzer going crazy.

I went through all the earth wire and all seem to be fine.
Madalathusi
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 9 months
Car Model: Microbus

Post by Madalathusi »

Hi guys, can I also ask for your help (advice) with the following, mp9 fuel injector rail wiring, where does the brown wire with black strip connect to, it comes from the intake manifold from a switch like right next to accelerator cable, also have a CAM position sensor with only one black wire, where does it connect to ECU,..
Thanks for your help in advance williamthusi7@gmail.com
WhatsApp 0822619381