VW Golf Citi Rhythm 2006 1.4 Ventilation Issue

JohanDUP30
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 11 months

VW Golf Citi Rhythm 2006 1.4 Ventilation Issue

Post by JohanDUP30 »

Hi Guys,

i have done some research about the problem and have even taken it to a mechanic but it still stays the same.

The issue I am having is that the middle vents blow hot air and if adjusted super hot air. I understand that the Golf does have some heat that comes through.

Now, I am not that mechanically inclined and was wondering if some can maybe post a picture of the valve that is on engine must be connected? I have replaced the Valve and now it seems that it might be the cable which is not closing the Valve completely.

The mechanic seems to have moved it position to the pipe next to it and that the cables connector which closes the valve has been turned to show to right (driver side) wheel as where it originally showed to the left wheel.

I have tried to search for a manual and purchased one online, but if someone can post some information regarding this and what the correct way is to install and have it working, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.
Mcronje08
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Re: VW Golf Citi Rhythm 2006 1.4 Ventilation Issue

Post by Mcronje08 »

I had the same issue with my citi golf.
I could not manage to have the issue sorted out so i made a solution myself.
I ended up bypassing the water pipe that goes through the firewall that provides the heat. I plugged the hole in the firewall and rejoined the pipe so that it circulates back to the block.
That was the end of it but NOTE: windscreen de-mister will not work anymore neither will the heater.
Its a bit uncomfortable during winter but nonetheless it was a rock solid solution for me i would how ever let them check the cable out if its a bit too long it wont close properly so perhaps try to shorten the cable little bit to increase the tension between the valve and cable if that does not work, you could try as i mentioned blocking of the pipe and circulating it back to the block if you are willing to sacrifice the de-mister and heater.
JohanDUP30
Enlisted

Post by JohanDUP30 »

Thank you very much. I will sacrifice the heater and demister at this stage.

Thank you again for the answer.
Mcronje08
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Post by Mcronje08 »

My pleasure. It takes about 5 mins you will see that about in the middle of the firewall you have two pipes that goes into the firewall.
One acts as a feed and the other as a return pull both of them and join those two pipes together, plug the holes where the pipes used to be. This will then bypass the heater and will circulate the water that would have gone through the heater straight back to the block.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

I must say that I would not disable my heater totally for winter but that's just me. Why not install a hardware shop sourced ball valve in the line till winter comes where you can then manually open it till summer comes again?
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
-=sT3V3=-
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 1 month
Car Make: ShitiGolf + CRX
Car Model: 92' ADY + 91' B20Vtec

Post by -=sT3V3=- »

I just hacked the stock heatercore by removing some fins, basically reducing the efficiency of the core down to something a more more in line with our climate.

ie, not too hot not to cold ;)
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

Is the heater valve in the newer Citi the same part as the old one, in the Mk 1?

I've replaced this part, both with OEM on a Mk1 GTS, and with a Goldwagen part on a fox, and have never experienced this problem of "the cable not closing the valve completely". To my knowledge, the position (length) of the cable sleeve on the valve body can be adjusted anyway. So I'm trying to understand what the actual problem is?

Note that the "sweep" of the lever on the valve, between the "open" and the "closed" stops, is actually longer than the "sweep" of the dash cable. So, to ensure that the valve closes fully, you have to adjust the cable on the "closed" stop, not on the "open" stop! Like so:

Put the dash lever on "cold", then engage the hooked end of the cable in the valve lever, and then FULLY extend the lever to its mechanical "cold" stop, before you clip on the retainer clip that locks the cable sleeve to the valve body. In this way, the valve may not open 100%, but that's not necessary anyway. At least, it closes fully.

Has worked for me every time...
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
JohanDUP30
Enlisted

Post by JohanDUP30 »

Hi,

I am unsure if the parts are the same. I have replaced the valve with new ones and checked for the cable. When I had it by the mechanic they also changed the valve and said cable is too short. I am not mechanically inclined and go by what the professionals say. I have tested the cold / hot switch inside and it doesn't look like it is stripped or anything.

From the firewall it has two pipes coming out. I think that after the mechanic changed it on the pipes it could be a problem. Now to confirm must the valve be on the pipe to the right or left? Which side must the valve switch which the cables connects into be?

I am still learning on how to do these things myself and appreciate all the feedback from the community.

Thank you all again.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

Is this the part you've replaced?

I don't know about "left" and "right" pipes. My Mk1s have a lower and upper pipe going through the firewall. What is important, is that the one end of the valve must be fitted to the elbow-shaped pipe that is connected to the left side of the cylinder head (i.e. to the RIGHT of the cylinder head, as you stand in front of the car), where the hot coolant exits the engine, and the other end of the valve must be fitted to the upper firewall pipe. This connects the valve to the outlet pipe of the engine and the inlet pipe to the heater core. The valve normally has an arrow on the body, to show the direction of flow.

As far as I can make out, the valve shown above has the arrow pointing in the wrong direction. The water flows from the engine into the firewall.

This picture shows how to install the valve:

To adjust the cable, push the valve lever in the direction of the arrow as far as it will go. Only then clip on the retaining clip that holds the cable sleeve to the valve body. This picture also shows the problem:

The levers inside the car don't "sweep" as far as the valve lever. Therefore, move the valve lever to the "fully closed" stop before inserting the little retainer clip.

In terms of making the correct connections, you can also read this thread:

http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141536

The first picture shown there is wrong. As I wrote above, when installed correctly, the valve sits in the pipe which connects the cylinder head and the (upper) fire wall connection. The lower pipe from the firewall goes to the metallic pipe, which goes down to the water pump.

Disclaimer: all of the above pertains to the 80s and 90s Mk1. Things may have changed later.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
VAG Fan
Lieutenant

Post by VAG Fan »

After reading through that other thread, it appears that there are, in fact, two opposite types of valves, depending on whether one has the old or new dashboard. Apparently the lever on the new dash pushes the cable out when the heater is switched on. On the old dashes, the cable is pulled IN when the heater is switched on.

But any half-decent mechanic should be able to figure that out and get it to work.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
Previous:
- - - - - - - - - -
Shadows101Fall
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 9 months

Post by Shadows101Fall »

I don't get the not fully closed thing, the cable isn't set right, it should be out further then it'll close completely.
I buy broken/smashed/written off cars

Current: 2005 Alfa Romeo GT 1.9 JTDm
Ex: 2014 Nissan NP200 1.6i - meh.. Sold
Ex: 2000 Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 Sold http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=197077
Ex:1980 2 door mk1 build thread Sold http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=192831

JohanDUP30
Enlisted

Post by JohanDUP30 »

Hi,

Thank you very much for the detailed information. I think I can manage now to sort it out. I will give it a shot now and let you know.

Thank you again for the detailed information.
Thobelani42
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 3 months

Post by Thobelani42 »

Mk1 heater
Thobelani42
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 3 months

Post by Thobelani42 »

2004 mk1 chico new dash heater not hot enough it is just warm when it really cold u can not feel it. Changed thermostat, heat control valve, heater core not leaking, flushed heater core still, I saw one pipe from the engine has a slight leak but I doubt that will cause a problem