Caravelle 2.6i

London
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 9 months
Membership No: missing

Caravelle 2.6i

Post by London »

Hi all. I just want to ask a question about the above car's fuel system. Can anyone tell me what ecu if any is this car using and how does its injector system work. If anyone can, pls tell me how does this engine regulate it air/fuel mixture, how does it operate? I've attached a picture of its injector system.

In white = fuel rail and 5 injectors
In red = the only plug to the fuel rail
In blue = fuel lines

Current cars:
Golf MKV 2.0 FSI
Caravelle 2.6i Awesome car
Jetta MKII CLI 1800 8V (First car)
Jetta MKI GLS 1500 (Project car)

So you guys want to play? Bring it on!!!
Solo786
Brigadier
Registered for: 17 years
Car Make: Porsche,BMW,VW
Membership No: 1251

Post by Solo786 »

Well It looks similar to an MP9 type setup found on the newer citi golfs - except that those are 4cylinder.

I dont know what ecu is controlling the engine, But i would hazard a guess to say that it probably has a MAP sensor on the throttle body which which sends info to the ecu for calculation on how much airflow there is,and the ecu will alter the injector pulse width accordingly to suplly more fuel..

I think theres more than just one plug on that rail - if the engine is using electronic injection - each injector will have its own plug..perhaps the one you identified is just taking power/ecu outputs to another connector on the fuel rails wiring harness where it goes to each individual injector.
EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal
Registered for: 19 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2014 Jetta 6 TDi DSG.
Membership No: 712

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

As the car is running Fuel Injection is has to have an ECU to control them.

I would've though it would be a Digifant but that doesn't look like a Digifant system.

Maybe M.I.C?
2014 - VW Jetta 6 - 1.6 TDi DSG
2000 - VW Golf 3.5 Cabrio - 2.0
1980 - VW MK1 GT - 1.8 Carb - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=153861
1971 - Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=220503
MK1 Build Register: https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=192835
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/projectkirschwasser/

Racing is meant for the RACE track - deal with it...
London
Cadet

Post by London »

Like I said, that plug is the only plug that goes to the injector rail. The injectors doesn't have their own plugs. More than six months ago, I had burned valves so I opened up the motor and I was surprised by this system.

Anyway, I changed all valves and their goodies(engineering shop) and I personally put the motor back together. No problems up to this stage and I've done quite few trips of PTA-CT. At this stage, I understand how k-jet works, how electronic system works, but this is different to the widely used mentioned systems. My car is a 96 model if it will help.
Current cars:
Golf MKV 2.0 FSI

London
Cadet

Post by London »

Anyone who like to share some light?
Current cars:
Golf MKV 2.0 FSI

mafosta
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Model: Mk2 Jetta - Abf'ed

Post by mafosta »

The 2.6i Kombi uses the system similar to a Kombi 2.3i. This system is dgifant type system and your computor box should be under the rear seat and please be careful with it. Apparently this box can loose it's memory and you might have to tow to VW for reprogramming.
Now if you look into the engine from the back, sitting next to the coil (should be on the right side) there is a TCI-like unit with a small vacuum pipe connected to it. This is an airflow meter which tells your computor box how much air is going into the engine. Like any Vacuum-contrlled fueling system there must be no leaks in the pipes or else you will have a problem with the fueling
Okay, to me this system is a continous injection system.
London
Cadet

Post by London »

The other day when I took it to VW for timing and CO setting, I asked the guy who was doing it if he could pick up other problem on the VAG like fuel pump and other things, he told me that my ecu is not like MP9 where you can plug it in and do diagonistic test. There's a plug though where one can plug in a VAG but I forgot what he said one can test with it, but it was only one thing that can be tested. Here's the plug im talking about.

As I was taking this picture, I notice that there is a plug on the throttle body and another one on the airbox. Hope someone can figure out how everything works together.

Current cars:
Golf MKV 2.0 FSI

mafosta
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Model: Mk2 Jetta - Abf'ed

Post by mafosta »

The plug on the throttle is for info like throttle position as well as idling adjustment. It is also for when you start your kombi. It works like the one on Mp9 whereby when your car is switced on it opens a little bit and readies the car for starting.

For your computor box just follow the round plug on the other side of the firewall and it should be there below the seat
London
Cadet

Post by London »

I know where the computer box is, this thread is about the workings of the fueling system in particular. Another guy from VW once told me that the injectors works on vacuum system. He said when the piston goes down, they suck fuel from the injectors. Can someone confirm this?

Let me just make this clear, there's nothing wrong with my car, I just want to understand how does its fueling system work.

Thanks for your replies so far!
Current cars:
Golf MKV 2.0 FSI

Solo786
Brigadier

Post by Solo786 »

I donot see that piston sucking fuel from injector story as being plausible..

Since you mentioned the car has an airflow meter - it stands to reason that it the fuelling occurs by it measuring the amount of air it took in and meters the correct amount of fuel for that measured air..simple
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

basically a version of digifant yes. They measure throttle position and amount of air going into the motor from the airflow meter. Yes there is a single electrical injector connector as they use a parallel pulsed injection setup - so at every ignition signal it will fire all the injectors. Pretty simple and eorks just fine. Remeber k-jet sprays all the time so this is almost an electronic version of k-jet. Yes no motor does Definately NOT suck fuel from the injector.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Solo786
Brigadier

Post by Solo786 »

IIRC..i think the system is called a Digi-Jet system - i stand to be corrected though..
MK2 G60
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 8 months
Car Make: vw
Membership No: 388

Post by MK2 G60 »

It is a bosch motronic unit.
It has a singel feul rail that will pulse all at once per fire point [5 cyl]
as per panic.It has a idel steppe motor 1xt.b sensor ,water temp , air temp and manifold sensor.

How to adjust system.
1x adapter cable from vag plug to the 5pin plug in the picture as seen.
To get into the ecu the ign must be switched on
Enter ecu [01] then go adaption [10] enter channel 01
Start bus [make sure battery stong or it will kick you out]
Adjust the value in channel 01 up or doun [up richer lower leaner]
To adjust ign fire point there is a bridge plug on the adapter harness
plug it in and hold rpm at 2200rpm adjust till the correct timing.

Specs
C/O 1.2 +_ 0.2
Timing is 6deg. before tdc

Piggy back can be fitted to the system.
G60 16V GOLF

WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS HOW WE LIVED.

IT IS NOT UNSAFE IT IS OLD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!

ALDO IS THE MAN WITH A GUN.
THATS HOW WE ROLL [SAINT-J]
GTS KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A STICKER.
London
Cadet

Post by London »

Gees! Thats a mouthfull! Unfortunately im not that clued up when it comes to ecu and electronic gadgets. Thanks for clearing this up. All this time I was under the impression that the piston sucks in the fuel. So I can safely say that this system is not fuel efficient because the injectors spray fuel even when a cylinder is not in its ignition/power stroke.

Do other systems like mp9 spray fuel only when in ignition/power stroke or do they spray it continuously as well? This question obviously cancels my statement where I said I understand how k-jet and other electronic systems work, but anyway, im here to learn and thanks to you guys for providing that necessary knowledge!

Thanks for your replies!!!
Current cars:
Golf MKV 2.0 FSI

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

The fact that it's not full sequential does not mean engines are not fuel efficient. The time between when it sprays and when the fuel is used is very short - specially at higher rpm. At idle full sequential injection is better in the economy stakes but at say 4000 rpm there is very little in it. remember at 4000 on a 5 cyl motor it will basically open the valve 33 times on a cylinder per second.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Jojozmotorworx
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years

Re: Caravelle 2.6i

Post by Jojozmotorworx »

Hi guys I have a misfire problem on my caravelle 2.6i on idle it can rev up fully with a slight miss but once driven it misfires like crazy and has no power, I've done the cylinder head over I've skimmed the block I've checked the distributor,coil,leads and plugs what else could be wrong? Please assist and could someone plz tell me how to post my own question on this site as it is my first time using this thanks
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 2 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Jojozmotorworx wrote:Hi guys I have a misfire problem on my caravelle 2.6i on idle it can rev up fully with a slight miss but once driven it misfires like crazy and has no power, I've done the cylinder head over I've skimmed the block I've checked the distributor,coil,leads and plugs what else could be wrong? Please assist and could someone plz tell me how to post my own question on this site as it is my first time using this thanks
Firstly this here is called hijacking, which usually doesn't warrant a response. Since I pity you, newb, I shall respond.

On the main index page there is a small button that's marked "New Topic". It creates a new thread.

As for your kombi, get a fuel pressure gauge, test the output of your pump. I bet you eleventy hundred and one seventeen Zumas that your fuel pump is stuffed.

If I'm right be sure to replace the fuel filter same time
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Jojozmotorworx
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Jojozmotorworx »

Lol thanks a mill bru, will do that first thing 2m cheers
Mike bond
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Re: Caravelle 2.3 i

Post by Mike bond »

Got a idling problem when you put the aircon on the kombi idle fine
I have changed about every electical thing you can think of
Mike bond
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Re: Caravelle 2.3 i

Post by Mike bond »

Mike bond wrote:Got a idling problem when you put the aircon on the kombi idle fine
Got a idling problem when you put the aircon on the kombi idle fine
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

Good to know... :roll:
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
Mankopo1
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 9 months

Re: Microbus 2.3i

Post by Mankopo1 »

How can i remove and clean the injectors of my bus, spark plug No 3 and No. 5 is not firing correctly.
This make the engin idling rough or vibrating during the normal driving.
When i rovome the spark plugs i also realised that they are both wet and has some oil deposit on them.
Could this be piston rings or fuel injectors being faulty