Golf 3 gti 16v turbo

Lee Bonehill
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Golf 3 gti 16v turbo

Post by Lee Bonehill »

Hi guys I have acquired a golf 3 gti that has been left in a bad state in terms of overall condition and I love building up projects and I have decide to do a thread on said gti . your honest opinions and thoughts will be much appreciated. and if you guys know of any body with the following items at reasonable prices let me know.

1. Golf 3 front bumper
2. golf 3 gti grill
3. golf 3 head lights
4. golf 3 tail lights

Current condition
Lee Bonehill
Enlisted

Re: Golf 3 gti 16v turbo

Post by Lee Bonehill »

current condition of the engine missing boost pipes . Where would the best place be for boost pipes. Image
Quik-Trix
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '84 Mk1 2.0 20v ITB's
Membership No: 3004

Post by Quik-Trix »

Are you looking for OEM Headlights?
Lee Bonehill
Enlisted

Post by Lee Bonehill »

depending on cost I can get a set of projector head lights for 1500
Lee Bonehill
Enlisted

Post by Lee Bonehill »

is their any one ho can help me out with installing a dictator std ecu what is all needed and so on. the harness on the dash and from the fuse box to the heater box burnt so I have acquired a new harness to replace and a heater unit. so when I get time it will get it sorted .the car had a dicktator std ecu the harness was stolen .
moonwillow
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 9 months
Car Model: 2L Caddy

Post by moonwillow »

Lee Bonehill wrote:is their any one ho can help me out with installing a dictator std ecu what is all needed and so on. the harness on the dash and from the fuse box to the heater box burnt so I have acquired a new harness to replace and a heater unit. so when I get time it will get it sorted .the car had a dicktator std ecu the harness was stolen .
If there was a dicktator installed you only need to replace the unit not the cables.
Current rides.
1998 VW Caddy 2L 8v.
2015 Renault Clio
ex rides.
1998 Hyundai Elantra 1.8
2007 Mazda RX8 Hi-Speed
2007 Chev Lumina SS 6L V8
2010 Mazda BT50 3L 4x4
2010 Hyundai Elantra 1.6
1999 VW Chico 1.3 Carb
2005 VW Caddy 1.6
2007 Suzuki GSXR 750
2009 Citi ROX 1.4i

http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... 1&t=159156
Lee Bonehill
Enlisted

Post by Lee Bonehill »

bud the harness was removed I have the std ecu unit it was keep with the owner so .some previosu mechanic probably use this car for spares he had taken head lights tail light some sections of boost pipe so .that's why I am saying I need to rewire the ecu
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Membership No: missing

Post by Yakuza Racer »

Lee Bonehill wrote:is their any one ho can help me out with installing a dictator std ecu what is all needed and so on. the harness on the dash and from the fuse box to the heater box burnt so I have acquired a new harness to replace and a heater unit. so when I get time it will get it sorted .the car had a dicktator std ecu the harness was stolen .
if you were in cape town i could have helped you over a weekend to get the car driving... its piss easy...

looks to be a good project!!
Thupercharged S4
Lee Bonehill
Enlisted

Post by Lee Bonehill »

well yesterday I went on a finding spree .I bought head lights a front bumper. a mirror and the inside harness and some tail lights Image

this morning I found a place 6 meters of stainless steel tubing for R468 50mm diameter
Lee Bonehill
Enlisted

Post by Lee Bonehill »

any body have a link or can help me out with a Haynes manual for this car . I have to do some wiring in the car
Keenan V
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 10 months
Car Model: Golf mk3

Post by Keenan V »

Hey man. Try looking online for the Bentley. I managed to find a free pdf online. Unfortunately I don't have the link. As far as I know the Bentley is better than Haynes.
Lee Bonehill
Enlisted

Post by Lee Bonehill »

thanks bud I will have a look for it appreciate it
GOLF GT
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 6 months
Car Make: Toyota/VW
Car Model: PoloVivo

Post by GOLF GT »

Did you buy this car from the guy in springs ?
Lee Bonehill
Enlisted

Post by Lee Bonehill »

No bud why i got it from a guy in centurion wer the car has been for over a year
Lee Bonehill
Enlisted

Post by Lee Bonehill »

Hey oaks , been quiet for a while been busy redoing my polo so i can get it sold . i am in need of the cheapest place to get turbo silicone houses ,aswell as i am looking for a dictator wiring harness, if you guys could help out it would be great thanks in advance.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Contact Diktator for the harness. They should be able to supply or at least direct you to someone that can help.

Cheap isn't always better. When it comes to hoses on a turbo car go with a reliable supplier before you buy cheap.

All the numbers you need are in the back section of a speed and sound mag.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Lee Bonehill
Enlisted

Post by Lee Bonehill »

thanks man i have called them mrd in Pretoria thier harness is R450.00 dictator them selves arnt open yet .
Do you no of any decent hose suppliers.
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Volkspares, turbo direct are a start
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Lee Bonehill wrote:current condition of the engine missing boost pipes . Where would the best place be for boost pipes. Image
I'm sure you will be able to get this back to its full glory and enjoy driving this car.

Just out of curiosity..... I see a distributor in the block and the cam belt appears to be narrower than the cam sprocket on the 16V head. Appears that this may have been the original 8V motor and slapped a 16V head on.

Would be worthwhile checking this and source a 16V crank pulley, intermediate shaft pulley, 16V belt tensioner and 16V cam belt as the 16V belt is wider than the 8V belt. Wider means you have more peace of mind and a stronger belt to prevent belt failure and risking damage to the motor.

As for the unused 8V distributor in the block, it can stay as it is turning the oil pump. Just close it up with a cover or distributor cap to prevent water passing through on the distributor shaft into you motor over time.
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

PapaJo wrote:
Lee Bonehill wrote:current condition of the engine missing boost pipes . Where would the best place be for boost pipes. Image
I'm sure you will be able to get this back to its full glory and enjoy driving this car.

Just out of curiosity..... I see a distributor in the block and the cam belt appears to be narrower than the cam sprocket on the 16V head. Appears that this may have been the original 8V motor and slapped a 16V head on.

Would be worthwhile checking this and source a 16V crank pulley, intermediate shaft pulley, 16V belt tensioner and 16V cam belt as the 16V belt is wider than the 8V belt. Wider means you have more peace of mind and a stronger belt to prevent belt failure and risking damage to the motor.

As for the unused 8V distributor in the block, it can stay as it is turning the oil pump. Just close it up with a cover or distributor cap to prevent water passing through on the distributor shaft into you motor over time.
Well spotted PapaJo

That's possibly how the CR was sorted for the turbo to work.
Lee Bonehill
Enlisted

Post by Lee Bonehill »

missioner wrote:
PapaJo wrote:

Well spotted PapaJo

That's possibly how the CR was sorted for the turbo to work.

That correct it was an 8v then modded for the turbo work
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

There are a number of write ups where the guys have modded the old distributor to simply be an oil pump drive gear. It's not too hard either.

1. Remove dizzy
2. Measure 20mm from the clamp along the shaft of the dizzy.
3. Cut it with a grinder
4. Throw the top away
5. Remove the shaft and gear from the body, shorten the steel shaft about 7mm so that it protrudes through the bearing (bush) it runs in, make sure to smooth it off nicely so it doesn't damage anything.
6. Plug the top of the aluminium body with a Welsh plug or a steel insert, basically anything that will make it oil tight and dust proof.
7. Insert the shaft and gear into the block first. It's to ensure it locates correctly on the oil pump shaft.
8. Insert the top part and bolt it down securely.

Optional extras would be: paint it for cosmetic or corrosion reasons. If the donor dizzy is still working rather use a FUBAR one from a scrap yard instead.

This mod can also apply to someone using coil packs and/or individual coils with a crank pick up.
Lee Bonehill
Enlisted

Post by Lee Bonehill »

What do u guys think of a black roof and bonnet ....black roof looks tops on my playa ill post pics soon busy respraying it
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Not a fan, personally. Two tone is good on classics and rats, but not for euro. Google euro look in Germany. They pioneered the look. A black bonnet is for chops too lazy to spray the pirate replacement bonnet the proper colour.

On a golf 3 I can deal with angel eye projectors and altezza style rear lamp jap wheels and M3 style mirrors, but there is a point it no longer looks good.

My ideal G3 is frenched tailgate with face lift tail lamps (factory smoked), cabriolet headlamps (G4 style OE), smooth bumpers, factory front lip, DTM style door mirrors, rear wiper delete, single front wiper ( DTM again), one piece indicator fog combo lights and a clean dished wheel flush with the arches. Full black GTi leather interior with all audio hidden and 2 gauges in the radio slot. Ally pedals and gear knob. The rest must be or look as OE as possible. Also no chrome anywhere, nothing. If it has to be shiny then polished aluminium.
Lee Bonehill
Enlisted

Post by Lee Bonehill »

Agree missioner i want it to look oem in certain aspects for example the oem bumper and mirrors .i like the blacked out fog lamps looks good.the i terior is like a mustard yellow and grey but i will get it dyed black i am planing either keeping the g3 dash or putting a tt dash in its place. Looks nice in my opinion. Have a look online