Philip crystal vision bulbs VS HID kits

LawTDI
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years

Philip crystal vision bulbs VS HID kits

Post by LawTDI »

Hi guys have any of you tried the Philip bulbs I need advice want to get lights done on my car not sure what to do thanks
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Re: Philip crystal vision bulbs VS HID kits

Post by Unobeat »

I think they awesome light bulbs bud, for what car?
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
StealthGTi
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: ...None
Car Model: ..... None
Membership No: missing

Post by StealthGTi »

Hi,

I had both in my car and I have to say that i was more impressed with the Philips globes than with the HID kits.
The Philips globes are 5000k and the HID's were 6000k plus in the Halogen housing I personally feel that the distance of the light on the road were better with the globes than with the HID's.

That's my opinion and there will be guys disagreeing with me, but I saw better at night with the globes.
Plus they look freekin awesome. Love the pure white.
LawTDI
Cadet

Post by LawTDI »

hi its for a polo tdi wanna get the headlight and the spot light bulbs do u guys know a estimate price?
mk2-phreak
Captain
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by mk2-phreak »

Crystal Vision may be a whiter looking light but in terms of actual light output Nightbreakers still beat them.
ace_the_house_cat
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 10 months
Car Model: Mr Bean-Mobile

Post by ace_the_house_cat »

Don't do HID unless you do projectors IMO. It just blinds everyone else on the road.

The Diamond Vision are good globes though. A little brighter and whiter than OEM globes.

For fogs - find out the size and use LED globes.
His: MINI JCW GP2
Hers: AUDI TT 3.2 Roadster
Ex: AUDI TTS Roadster
Ex: RenaultSport Megane RB8
Ex: RenaultSport Clio 4 EDC
Ex: RenaultSport Clio 3
Ex: MK3 Polo Playa
ace_the_house_cat
Cadet

StealthGTi wrote:Hi,

I had both in my car and I have to say that i was more impressed with the Philips globes than with the HID kits.
The Philips globes are 5000k and the HID's were 6000k plus in the Halogen housing I personally feel that the distance of the light on the road were better with the globes than with the HID's.

That's my opinion and there will be guys disagreeing with me, but I saw better at night with the globes.
Plus they look freekin awesome. Love the pure white.
Remember that the 6000k HID kit has a blue tinge to it. Apparently the "closest to OEM Xenon" look are the 4300k HID globes. The higher the "K"or Kelvin rating, the bluer the light gets.

I have a 4300k kit (thanks Jabsport), I will fit them as soon as I get my projectors done and report back.
ChefDJ
Lieutenant
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: Benz
Car Model: C270 CDI

Post by ChefDJ »

I had HID's fitted and they worked well for a few months, but then faded and I couldn't see to save my life. I ripped them out and replaced them with Phillips Xtreme Vision. I'm not 100% happy but they do the job.

How does Xtreme vision differ from the Crystal Vision and Diamond Vision?

And the Nightbreakers?
LawTDI
Cadet

Post by LawTDI »

Ok so what should I go for I want that white effect from the bulb but also want to be able to see at night?
StealthGTi
Cadet

Post by StealthGTi »

The Diamond Vision is pure 5000K and is also the only Globe they have that is higher than 4300K.

They claim the Extreme vision has better light output on the road than the others they have to offer, but I was looking for close to Xenon light effect as possible, thus choosing the Diamond Vision.
It wasn't about the distance but more about the look for me.

They are expensive though, But I got my H7 Main beam and HB4-9006 for spots at about R 300 a set. They are usually about R 350 to R 380 a set.

To me it was worth it for sure.... Don't like the night breakers, had them and they have too much of a yellow output vs the Diamond vision.
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

Nightbreakers also have a tendency to fail more often , replaced 3 sets on the Cerato 2011 and twice on the Focus Sport 2013 both newer vehicles with good damping designs. Stick to Philips hard to find , worth the costs , run them on trucks and with the added vibrations still had a set that did 250000+ km (Constant use as DRL)
Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
StealthGTi
Cadet

Post by StealthGTi »

I Have to agree, Any osram globe seems to last about 6 months or so, duno why...
LawTDI
Cadet

Post by LawTDI »

Anyone know where I can get the crystal vision bulbs in Cape town
SykomantiS
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 3 months
Car Make: SsangYong
Car Model: Rexton II 270XDi

Post by SykomantiS »

ace_the_house_cat wrote:Don't do HID unless you do projectors IMO. It just blinds everyone else on the road.

The Diamond Vision are good globes though. A little brighter and whiter than OEM globes.

Not quite true. I have a set of 5000K H7R bulbs in my Civic, also on my bike. R-rated bulbs are designed with reflectors in mind and have a cut-off plate on the bulb to ensure you don't blind the oncoming traffic. The Civic has electronic adjustment on the headlights, and on the highest setting only a handful of people have flashed me- I generally turn the lights one notch down just to be on the safe side and have no issues with other road users complaining.
Current:

Ex:
2008 Honda Civic 2.2 iCTDi VXi
2010 SsangYong Rexton 270XDi
ChefDJ
Lieutenant
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: Benz
Car Model: C270 CDI

Post by ChefDJ »

You can get most of the bulbs from Autozone etc.

The Phillips Xtreme Vision really do shine far, I won't argue. However they aren't very bright on the road. I think I'll try that Diamond Vision next.

A friend of mine who also has an E39 put nightbreakers in his fog lights and I must say it makes a big difference if your headlights aren't that lekker.
4ePikanini
Lieutenant
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Touareg R5

Post by 4ePikanini »

HID factory lights are superior but putting an HID kit an headlight with reflectors designed for halogen bulbs is a recipe for disaster and a nuisance to oncoming traffic.

If you have halogens from the factory, stick to phillips, osram or bosch halogens.

If you want more light get HID spotlights.

I have 362W of light at my disposal in a combination of halogen, HID and LED. :)

My Touareg Build
2005 Touareg R5 Air & Bi-Xenon
ace_the_house_cat
Cadet

SykomantiS wrote:
ace_the_house_cat wrote:Don't do HID unless you do projectors IMO. It just blinds everyone else on the road.

Not quite true. I have a set of 5000K H7R bulbs in my Civic, also on my bike. R-rated bulbs are designed with reflectors in mind and have a cut-off plate on the bulb to ensure you don't blind the oncoming traffic. The Civic has electronic adjustment on the headlights, and on the highest setting only a handful of people have flashed me- I generally turn the lights one notch down just to be on the safe side and have no issues with other road users complaining.
Interesting. I had no idea that there were HID bulbs made for protracted headlights.

Sorry for the :hijack: but how are the 5000k bulbs in terms of white, useable light?
marzbars
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1988 Corrado 16V
Membership No: 1316

Post by marzbars »

SO... how about HID's in a Joye Mod light where the reflection was removed or painted black?
SykomantiS
Cadet

Post by SykomantiS »

ace_the_house_cat wrote:
SykomantiS wrote:

Interesting. I had no idea that there were HID bulbs made for protracted headlights.

Sorry for the :hijack: but how are the 5000k bulbs in terms of white, useable light?
Makes the 'standard' 6000K HID kits look like "police-blue" lights in comparison. Exaggeration of course, but this is as white as it gets- as stated dropping lower on the Kelvin scale, the light will start to get a yellowish tint with ~4300K being about the normal colour output of standard halogen bulbs. Prior to fitting the kit I used to drive with fogs on along with the headlights at night to have a nice even spread of light everywhere on the road surface and in front of me. My fog lights are now permanently switched off (which is technically the way it's supposed to be)- this kit provides more than adequate light and I'm very happy with it.
Current:

Ex:
mk2-phreak
Captain
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by mk2-phreak »

StealthGTi wrote:I Have to agree, Any osram globe seems to last about 6 months or so, duno why...
2 year Nightbreakers crew checking in.
LawTDI
Cadet

Post by LawTDI »

how are the nightbreaker plus do they give the white effect?
ace_the_house_cat
Cadet

SykomantiS wrote:
ace_the_house_cat wrote:
SykomantiS wrote:

Makes the 'standard' 6000K HID kits look like "police-blue" lights in comparison. Exaggeration of course, but this is as white as it gets- as stated dropping lower on the Kelvin scale, the light will start to get a yellowish tint with ~4300K being about the normal colour output of standard halogen bulbs. Prior to fitting the kit I used to drive with fogs on along with the headlights at night to have a nice even spread of light everywhere on the road surface and in front of me. My fog lights are now permanently switched off (which is technically the way it's supposed to be)- this kit provides more than adequate light and I'm very happy with it.
After extensive research, I bought a 4300k kit (to be installed) because I've heard that its the closest to the OEM xenon look. I am very interested to see what the 5000k looks like. I will do a comparison with the standard halogen bulb and the HID 4300k bulb when I install them.

I agree with you about the fogs, they should be switched off and used in extreme circumstances.

Post some pics if you can!
SykomantiS
Cadet

Post by SykomantiS »

Will try but I suck at pics.
I always had it that 4300K was like oem halogen. Might be oem xenon, who knows. From the charts though it looks rather yellowish to me.

I work in Midrand at Vodaworld if you ever want to come see what the kit looks like, I'd be happy to show you.
Current:

Ex:
Cafu
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Cafu »

Hi guys.....which bulbs do i use for my Golf MK6 TSI fog lights (not GTI).....i want to buy the phillips diamond vision
SykomantiS
Cadet

Post by SykomantiS »

Normally fog lights use H11 bulbs- your owners manual should confirm this.
Edit: I'd check if I were you rather, quick search shows it might not be H11 but HB4.
Rather get someone else to confirm.
Last edited by SykomantiS on Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current:

Ex: