Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: 2003 S3 (Stock)

Golf 5 Gti fuel pump

Post by Booth1982 »

Hi Guys, just a couple of question's

*does the golf 5 gti have 2 fuel pumps?

*how would i determine if i have a high pressure fuel pump or not?

*where is the fuel pump situated?

Reason asking, Im taking the Car for Revo software, and If I want to do stage 2 they say I need to have a high pressure fuel pump

Please any reply would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks
Sinbad
Post Whore
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Car Make: Mercedes
Car Model: R170 AMG Hairdryer
Membership No: 1152

Re: Golf 5 Gti fuel pump

Post by Sinbad »

Yes it has two pumps. You only need a high pressure pump upgrade for stage 2+.

Low pressure pump is I think in the fuel tank. High pressure pump is on the passenger side of the cylinder head.

katotter wrote:Geezus, I wanna be his girfriend.
Booth1982
Cadet

Post by Booth1982 »

cool thanks. yes I want to do stage 2, so which pump needs to be changed??? the low pressure one must become a high pressure one or what?

thanks
Sinbad
Post Whore

Post by Sinbad »

Booth1982 wrote:cool thanks. yes I want to do stage 2, so which pump needs to be changed??? the low pressure one must become a high pressure one or what?

thanks
2+ not 2
Unless your standard pump is broken it's fine for stage 2.
For 2+ you need to replace the high pressure pump.

Booth1982
Cadet

Post by Booth1982 »

hi can anyone else confirm this for me? I Spoke to Dustin from Revo in PE, and he said to me, that for stage 2, you need a high pressure fuel pump, just trying get the story straight, as I am going through to PE tomorrow morning to have this done...

thanks
Balls
Major
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Membership No: 1708

Post by Balls »

You have a high pressure fuel pump already, which pressurises the fuel being fed from the fuel tank via the low pressure fuel pump which sits at the fuel tank.

What the do is upgrade the internals of your existing pump, so it flows more fuel. You dont replace the whole pump (although certain manufactuors such as APR do offer complete pumps but budget $1000 then).

This is what you need:
http://www.autotech.com/product/10-127-100k.html

Balls
Major

Post by Balls »

HPFP location:

Balls
Major

Post by Balls »

You welcome to buy the whole pump, I was wrong about the price - $1100 before it gets here. :lol:

http://www.goapr.com/products/fsi_fuel_pump.html
Booth1982
Cadet

Post by Booth1982 »

Hi ive just opened the engine cover, and checked the pump, it is a Hitachi, that doesent sound right, is that perhaps aftermarket??? there are no other markings on it?
Sinbad
Post Whore

Post by Sinbad »

The oem part is Hitachi.
Seriously unless things have changed drastically in the Revo world you only need an uprated pump if you went to stage 2+

Balls
Major

Post by Balls »

Hitachi is the stock one :thumbup:
Balls
Major

Post by Balls »

You dont need HPFP for stage 2 Revo.
Balls
Major

Post by Balls »

http://www.revotechnik.com/type/16077/193/

Stage 2

Stage 2 Performance Software has been specifically developed to attain the best possible performance from the 2.0TFSI GTi with a bolt on performance exhaust and quality cold air intake. Stage 2 allows you to run a sports cat or de-cat without the CEL (Check Engine Light) being triggered by a ‘CAT Efficiency’ error code. Stage 2 software is boost, fuelling and timing adjustable with slightly more flexibility than Stage 1 allowing the vehicle to be setup to suit the fuel quality, driving conditions and driver preferences. MKV GTi Stage 2 software is specifically tuned to suit the limitations of the standard high pressure fuel pump and is designed to suit the following hardware upgrades:

Hardware Requirements:

- Turbo Back Exhaust with Sports or De-cat (view info)
- High Flow Intake System with correct MAF scaling (view info)

Hardware Recommendations:
- Uprated Intercooler (view info)
- Uprated Engine Mounts (view info)
- PCV Revamp kit (view info)
- STaSIS Brake Kit (view info)
ruan9n
Post Whore
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Scirocco 2.0TSI dsg
Membership No: 1343

Post by ruan9n »

I'm sorry but it seems the PE revo agent isn't too clued up on his own product! Here are 2 numbers you can call... Shaun Mooloo whom is the master dealer for revo SA and Ivan Botha whom is the technician at the revo high performance center at Zwartkops raceway.

Mooloo 083 255 0089
Ivan 082 930 5752

I had a fully loaded revo stage2+ mk5 gti. I had stage 2 on it for nearly 2 years then fitted an autotech hpfp upgrade and loaded 2+.
The difference between the 2 files lies in fuel pressure, stage2 requests 115bar and 2+ 130bar fuel pressure. Your car has a low pressure fuelpump (Lpfp) in the fueltank beneath the rear seat on the driver side it sends fuel from the tank to the high pressure fuel pump pictured above which sends it to the injectors. The oem hpfp is sufficient for stage2 fuel request but not for 2+ as it just isn't able to reach 130bar without being upgraded.

Where the PE dealer's confusion may lie is in reading US forums, some guys over there requested fuel cuts because of bad oem hpfp's. They needed to upgrade their hpfp's just to be able to run stage2!
Phone Mooloo and explain what the PE dealer told you and have him sort you out.
Candy white Scirocco 2.0TSI DSG StormtrooperXL 195kw 456nm @ stealth
Revo stage 2, Revo 76mm dp, Revo throttle pipe, APR 1&2 Carbonio intake, Neuspeed hiflow discharge pipe, H&R springs, 19" RS3 wheels, R8 coils, Iridiums, BSH dogbone insert, TTRS lca's, R interior.

Ex: Golf 6 GTI aka "pepper" 252hp 420nm
Ex: Golf 5 GTI aka "stormtrooper" 190kw 390nm
Ex: 9n Polo TDI sportline "The cupra polo" 125kw 430nm
Ex: Some other polos
ruan9n
Post Whore
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Scirocco 2.0TSI dsg
Membership No: 1343

Post by ruan9n »

I'm sorry but it seems the PE revo agent isn't too clued up on his own product! Here are 2 numbers you can call... Shaun Mooloo whom is the master dealer for revo SA and Ivan Botha whom is the technician at the revo high performance center at Zwartkops raceway.

Mooloo 083 255 0089
Ivan 082 930 5752

I had a fully loaded revo stage2+ mk5 gti. I had stage 2 on it for nearly 2 years then fitted an autotech hpfp upgrade and loaded 2+.
The difference between the 2 files lies in fuel pressure, stage2 requests 115bar and 2+ 130bar fuel pressure. Your car has a low pressure fuelpump (Lpfp) in the fueltank beneath the rear seat on the driver side it sends fuel from the tank to the high pressure fuel pump pictured above which sends it to the injectors. The oem hpfp is sufficient for stage2 fuel request but not for 2+ as it just isn't able to reach 130bar without being upgraded.

Where the PE dealer's confusion may lie is in reading US forums, some guys over there requested fuel cuts because of bad oem hpfp's. They needed to upgrade their hpfp's just to be able to run stage2!
Phone Mooloo and explain what the PE dealer told you and have him sort you out.
Candy white Scirocco 2.0TSI DSG StormtrooperXL 195kw 456nm @ stealth
Revo stage 2, Revo 76mm dp, Revo throttle pipe, APR 1&2 Carbonio intake, Neuspeed hiflow discharge pipe, H&R springs, 19" RS3 wheels, R8 coils, Iridiums, BSH dogbone insert, TTRS lca's, R interior.

Ex: Golf 6 GTI aka "pepper" 252hp 420nm
Ex: Golf 5 GTI aka "stormtrooper" 190kw 390nm
Ex: 9n Polo TDI sportline "The cupra polo" 125kw 430nm
Ex: Some other polos
Balls
Major

Post by Balls »

I also ran stage 2 Revo .. only went HPFP when I went K04 Revo
Solo786
Brigadier
Registered for: 17 years
Car Make: Porsche,BMW,VW
Membership No: 1251

Post by Solo786 »

As per everyone else:

For stage 2 your stock HPFP is fine, for revo 2+ you would be required to upgrade the internals of the factory hpfp to KMD or autotech to get it to push 130bar.