Brandonhope
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 7 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk1 Golf Chico

Golf Chico 1.3 problem

Post by Brandonhope »

Hi guys,

I have a problem and getting very frustrated. I normally don't refer to a forum for help but I am desperate now for any advice.

I have a Chico 1.3 96 model. I need assistance on the following problem I have.

Recently the car started to give me problems while driving uphill. The symptoms are the following...

1. While driving on a straight the car seems to be fine and once going uphill it would cut out and loose power. Then I have to clutch and pump petrol several times to get going for a few meters.
Going downhill it is fine and can red line the little demon.

2. I have replaced the following : spark plugs, leads, fuel pump, fuel return goodie and checked module etc with another vehicle, also the carburetor has been serviced with a new kit.

3. Replaced the service kit on carb and all seemed fine for 2 weeks and the problem started again.
Removed the carb for the 2nd time and walla it was ok again for another 2 weeks then problem came back.

( What am I doing wrong ) ...

I have a question about the brass goodie situated on top right hand side of carb that the needle goes into for the float.
Firstly mine is turned all the way in to a lock, and does it need adjusting and does it effect the float level of the fuel.

Seems to me that it is running out of fuel all the time uphill and doesn't have enough in the bowl to feed the demand of the motor. Everything is stock standard.

Please help as I am going nuts and having to find straight roads. Oh yes eventually it gets so bad that I can't ride on a straight road even.

Please your help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Kind regards Brandon
Current : Golf Chico 1.3
Ex Opel : 200is 8v turbo. 185kw
Ex Vw : Jetta 2 2l 16v executive 145kw
Ex Opel : 1.6 Gse Kadett

Drive like you stole it
Wheelwore
Lieutenant
Registered for: 14 years 10 months
Car Model: MK1 Velociti 1.6i
Membership No: missing

Re: Golf Chico 1.3 problem

Post by Wheelwore »

:hi: Welcome by the way
Current
2007 - Velociti 2.0 ABF Black Magic
2008 - Velociti 1.4i Midnight Blue
2002 - Chico 1.4i White - Chicolux
1996 - VR6 2.8 Golf
AlexTDi
Field Marshal
Registered for: 12 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '15 Polo GTI
Membership No: 1724

Post by AlexTDi »

Do you have enough petrol in the tank?
Alex
VWCSA Member No. 1724

Daily: '06 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE
Race Car: Polo Vivo GT

EX:
Daily:
'15 6C Polo GTI DSG
'06 1.9 TDI Sportline
'06 BMW 320D M-Sport
Weekend Toy: '84 Golf MK 1 GT
Race Car: Golf MK1 2 Door

https://www.facebook.com/AMRacing89
n.gov
Enlisted
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by n.gov »

i had a similiar issue in the past on my golf.

It turned out to be dirt blocking the tiny holes on the pick up in the tank.

i removed the plastic end from the supply line on the pick up and cleaned it.

No issues since

Was a cheap fix in the end
Pieta
Lieutenant
Registered for: 14 years 6 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: 04 A4 1.8T 6spd S-Line
Membership No: 1909

Post by Pieta »

As far as I know, the brass "goodie" shouldn't be turned in all the way. Turn it out a bit (1/2 turns at a time) see if it gets better, is there fuel in the filter while running? What condition are your rubber fuel lines in, if there is a small hole in any way your carb will give you trouble sucking air instead of fuel. Same goes for the joints with your clamps.

Welcome by the way...
Pieter "Pieta" Oberholzer

-04 Audi A4 B6 1.8T
BT In process
Biltein + Eibach Sportline
Too much to mention

- 98 Polo 6N 2.0 8v
Brandonhope
Enlisted

Post by Brandonhope »

Pleased to meet you all, from what I have seen some nice spec rides out there.

Guys thank you for responding so soon, tied up with work etc will operate from mobile.

Yes there is enough fuel, lol. Fuel lines all ok and tank pickup ok. Stripped carb today and tripled checked everything again. Back to normal for how long I don't know. Going to hold thumbs and see, 100% certain now its carb related now. One thing I have noticed after a test drive is there is a flat spot now tapping off and applying power again. Briefly. But my 2nd stage is kicking in nicely. Never did before, I also how ever turned the air screw in about a 1/4 turn. The carb was never setup correctly before I believe.

The fuel filter runs very low when idling and once turned off it reaches about a quarter full.

I would like to find out something about the fuel inlet next to the carb, related with the float. If float is raised while blowing into the fuel inlet of the carb should there be a complete shut off of air, like cutting the fuel supply until the bowl runs down. Or should you be able to just manage to blow air in still with float on top position.

Also what is a good starting point for air mixture on carb. Let's assume fully turned in, and require the amount of turns out and what to look for and hear.

The golf is also very heavy on fuel. Please comment, scratching head.

Thanks for all the responses so far guys.
In the process of ideas of a upgrade in the hood

Drive like you stole it
chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Model: Citi ADY

Post by chucker02 »

How is the condition of the solenoid on the back of the carb? also is the carb earthed on the tappet cover and is the solenoid plugged in? for the best mixture of air and fuel you need a CO tester but you can adjust it by turning the screw in till the engine starts to stutter and then turn it back until it stutters, find the centre point of that and until it sounds nice. tell someone to give it a small rev and check the exhaust for smoke, if it doesnt smoke your fine.
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle
Brandonhope
Enlisted

Post by Brandonhope »

Hi Chucker02,

The carb is earthed and redone everything to make sure of that. Also the solinoid I checked while applying power to it. Kicks in and out all smooth. I'm going to give the mixture a bash and see what happens. Can you tell me what direction the dizzy has to be turned to advance the timing a little. I'm looking for a little botton end power, note facing the motor from the front. I was told anti clockwise advances the timing.

Thanks for all the usefull info so far.

Have a good day all.

Drive like you stole it
Quik-Trix
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Model: '84 Mk1 2.0 20v ITB's
Membership No: 3004

Post by Quik-Trix »

Have you looked at the fuel pump /ac pump?

Not sure how to test them, but its not really expensive to replace
chucker02
Captain

Post by chucker02 »

Yes anti clockwise is to advance the timing and clockwise is to retard the timing. Just dont overdo it otherwise the car will ping
Current:

Ex:
1971 VW beetle
Brandonhope
Enlisted

Post by Brandonhope »

Hi Guys,

Me again, problem back again, now even worse than it was. Car starts and idles for 3 minutes and dies promptly.

Not sure if the carb has had its days. Before I could take it off then strip it and walla it runs again. What now ! New carb. Think it will solve the problem. Gone through all the checks and replaced so much now that I could nearly buy a good engine.

Could it be the module causing the problem. But can't see that its that. Why would it run fine after a carb strip and clean.
I looked for symptoms of dirt again in the bowl, clean as can be.

What are the prices of a card for golf these days.

Thanks guys.

Drive like you stole it
Justin_B
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Model: Up!
Membership No: 2024

Post by Justin_B »

Howsit i bought a carband a new base plate from goldwagen for about 800, cant remember exactly but around there. Hope you come right.
Brandonhope
Enlisted

Post by Brandonhope »

Hi justB.11,

Thanks for the reply. Sourced just the carb for R765. Seems to be the going price I see. I stripped that carb 3 times today, once on the side of the road and twice at home. Phew, after stripping and playing with the thing I got it going again, drivable at least. Still a little on the rough side when coldish close to warm. Can feel its about 70% right. Not happy but running again. Just can't seem to get the air mixture set right.

Drive like you stole it
Brandonhope
Enlisted

Post by Brandonhope »

Me again,

Bought a new carb yesterday and sitting with the same problem. I was wondering how fuel must be in the fuel filter while the car is idling. Mine is running at a level of about just under a quarter in the white filter. When I switch off it goes to about half. The level stays the same all the time while revving and idling. Could it be air sucking in somewhere. I was told to change the fuel lines going to the carb. Only the return fuel looks as if it is suspect. Hmm..

When the car idles it is fine now with new carb but as soon as I take it for a drive it cut outs, fuel starvation. Idling is set and airscrew is out about 2.5 - 3 turns. Running smotthly.

This is getting way to expensive for a little problem and don't know what else to do.

I was told there is no filter in the tank to change. How true is that. If there was a filter and its blocked why would it still run on idle.

Drive like you stole it
Brandonhope
Enlisted

Post by Brandonhope »

Hi guys,

Well what an exciting week and weekend. And killing the bank.
After replacing several things as mentioned. The problem so simply, while having my head in the engine bay while engine was running I came across a noise at right hand side of the intake manifold. My finder brushed over the two yellow caps that sit on the piece of pipe coming from the intake to the brake booster. To my amazement I hear this sucking noise. Both caps had cracks in them causing them to suck in air. What a waste of money, at the wife says there are new parts and can't get any better.

Lesson to be learned all the mechanics that viewed the car and had fingers in there could not figure this one out. My words, light a fire open the bonnet and poor a Brandy and think about it. The cost to fix was R0 instead of R1700 later. Oouch.

Thanks for all the help.

My one question is, I was told hang in there with my old carb and put it back on.
Is the after market one just as good as the old original carb.

Should I strip the new one and place all the inners in the old carb.

Brandon.

Drive like you stole it
chucker02
Captain

Post by chucker02 »

If there is no fault with the original carb than keep it. I have had isuses with those goldwagen carbs
Current:

Ex:
1971 VW beetle
Brandonhope
Enlisted

Post by Brandonhope »

Ok thanks, chucker.
Going to run with it for a while and one weekend swop all jets ect from new to old.
That should be ok hey.

I find that my second stage isn't kicking in at all on new carb. Might just ask when I send it in for tuneup if the experts can do it for me.

Thanks for all the help guys.

All sorted and happy for now.

Drive like you stole it
JohnnyD
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Citigolf Shuttle

Post by JohnnyD »

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I had the exact problem with that breather that goes into the brake booster. We thought it was something serious and even compression checked motor (96 Citi Shuttle 1,3). Left it at my dad's friend/mechanic and remembers me mentioning my dad was messing around there by the brake booster and noticed the fault. He just taped it up and was fixed. Difference with my car I had to ride with choke pulled out a bit, missed quite badly hence we thought blown gasket or valve issue.

Glad you got it sorted. My case only cost me R100, new spark plugs. Mechanic charged us nothing.
Curtmk1
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Post by Curtmk1 »

Im having the same kind of trouble checked everything flatspot is bad almost everything is replaced new including new carburetor checked 3 different carbs still had the flatspot
Mark Schmuhl
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Mark Schmuhl »

Hi all, I'm puzzling... I have a flat spot when accelerating quickly. Other than that my Chico is ok but does jerk a bit. New carb base plate and sprayed the carb with carb cleaner. Sprayed plugs and leads with Q20. I'm stumped, any suggestions? :crazy: