RPGTI
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '13 PGTI DSG
Membership No: missing

9n3 Polo gti Forge TIP DIY

Post by RPGTI »

So I had to change out my Turbo inlet pipe or TIP this past weekend as I had been using a Golf 4 GTI TIP from the get go (dont ask me how but with extended pipes and some squashing it does fit). So thanks to Yosh :hi: I got a new Forge TIP and a Forge throttle pipe (the pipe from the intercooler outlet to the throttle body) :hurray: .The throttle pipe is alot firmer then the stock one which you are able to squash side to side but the forge one you cant not sure on major benifits but will definatly help. :twisted:

So firstly I had to remove the filter and the 90 degree silicone bend by loosening the clamp holding it to the mass airflow or MAF sensor.

Second I had to remove the MAF sensor itself als held on with a clamp,it also need to be unplugged.(make sure the key is out of the ignition it maybe throw a error if it is)

Then to get easier access I removed the air inlet from the front grille (think it is a PD 100 pipe) which was 2 hex screws.

The pipe (think it is called a PD100) just pops off the front plastic inlet.

Star screw releases it from the airbox.

Now to remove the airbox,It is held in place with 1x10mm bolts (it's fairly long) and then rubber seats that hold it in place and stop it from knocking on eveyrthing 1 round one by the batter which you just pull towards yourself and one at the back which fits over a metal pine both just pull off (make sure you seat them properly before you put the box back).Unclip the MAF sensor wire (remember to clip it back) and the box should be free.

Here is where the bolt is.

And the MAF sensor wire clip.

The box loose.

The box out.

Then comes the n75 valve firstly unclip the connection and loosen the lower clamp (stock pipes will have spring type clamps).(remember which pipe went where if its wrong it wont control your wastegate)

Then remove the feed pipe from the main steel boost pipe.

Then the feed pipe to the wastegate I use vise grips the ones you can lock in place they tend to hold the clip open for a long time to be able to move it around easier.

Then remove the puck valve by undoing the clamp (I removed it completely so I had some more space to work).

Then comes removing the dumpvalve from the TIP once again undoing the clamp releases it.With the oem pipe from the boost pipe to the dumpvalve you need to cut and extend it I ended up buying some water line hose and using that as apposed to the oem pipe + that hose had split abit the water hose holds up to heat well but the silicone ones will work much better I recon.

Then there is another pipe connected to the bottom of the TIP which also needs to be removed.

Then comes climbing under the car to get the TIP off.On the oem pipe the bottom half of the pipe is metal which has a 10mm bolt holding it to the turbo inlet, undo that and the TIP should be free or like in my case I had a clamp holding the TIP (aftermarket) to the turbo which you get best access to from under the car.

As you can see the Golf TIP looks alot different from the Polo TIP make sure you buy the right one first time :bang:

Then it just requires you to reverse the steps. :hug:

Some tips:

> A good quality clamp for the TIP where it joins the turbo it best so you only have to do it once.
> Wear glasses if you going under the car enough sand in the eye from that.
> The spring type clamps lose their clamping abillity after being heated and cooled and reheated so just replace them.
> Make sure all the clamps are tight ecspecially the dumpvalve.

The Throttle pipe is a straight fit loosen the top and bottom clamps remove the pipe and replace it with the Forge pipe and tightend the clamps up.

And the final product.

The job took me around a hour or 2 or 3 but cost me nothing to fit other then the pipes.
The car feels more responsive there would be some more performance I assume as it's less restrictive now
and ofcourse the sound. :driving:
'13 Flash Red Polo GTI
Ex.
'08 Flash Red Polo GTI
SemiColon
I sparkle in the sunlight
Registered for: 14 years 1 month
Car Make: Volvo
Car Model: S40 T5
Membership No: 1641

Re: 9n3 Polo gti Forge TIP DIY

Post by SemiColon »

Cool Thread!
八拾六
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 3 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Nice write up, I see you are wearing gloves, is this to protect your painted nails?

:grin:
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
RPGTI
Cadet

Post by RPGTI »

Neuk wrote:Nice write up, I see you are wearing gloves, is this to protect your painted nails?

Of course haha
I just hate working around that little heat blanket on the boost pipe it's fibreglass and that crap stays in ur hands forever + they keep ur hands clean new age grease apie :lol:
'13 Flash Red Polo GTI
Ex.
'08 Flash Red Polo GTI
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 3 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

RPGTI wrote:
Neuk wrote:Nice write up, I see you are wearing gloves, is this to protect your painted nails?

Of course haha
I just hate working around that little heat blanket on the boost pipe it's fibreglass and that crap stays in ur hands forever + they keep ur hands clean new age grease apie :lol:
Thats actually a good idea, once I have the necessary clamps I need to get my TIP in to the Vagon...
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Jueshen
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Jueshen »

im using mk4tip also lol want to change to proper polo one..
but the thing is im making awesome power so dont think changing it will let me make more.
the only pipe that got a bit of a curve is the one to my forge dv...
Ex:
2007 Polo GTI
Eurodyne! 230WHP & 390NM @ KAR 2016 - without OB
2013 Honda Ballade Elegance
1996 Honda Ballade 150i
1994 Honda Ballade 150 Luxline
1991 Citi Golf 1.3
2009 Citi Rox 1.4i
2007 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
1989 Citi Sport 1.8
Smok3X
Captain
Registered for: 15 years
Car Make: SEAT
Car Model: LEON CUPRA 2.0 TFSi K04
Membership No: 3083

Post by Smok3X »

Brilliant thread! Thank you! and well done! :hurray:
Current:
Leon CUPRA - 2.0TFSi K04--> Rides Thread
169WKW@Dark Artz - Stock
229WKW@Dark Artz - RevO 2+

Ex:
Ibiza CUPRA - 1.8 20V - Hybrid Turbo-->Rides Thread
Revo:182KW and 399NM@Experience
ABF Citi Golf - 2.0L 16V--->Rides Thread
FRC - 124KW and 198NM@Auto Trix
1/4 Mile:14.61s
1ST Place - 4AF2 Margate 31st Oct 2010

ImageImageImage
jk
Captain
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by jk »

Well done!!
How much does the throttle pipe go for?
Mine is very soft, im sure it collapses easily with boost.
Stompie
Boostleak Guru
Registered for: 12 years 9 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 2006 120D
Membership No: 1843

Post by Stompie »

jk wrote:Well done!!
if im not mistaken, i paid R1650 for mine...but think it was on special that time?
BMW 120D E87
Ex: 07' Polo GTI 1.8T Rides Thread Here
jk
Captain

Post by jk »

PoloGTIman wrote:
if im not mistaken, i paid R1650 for mine...but think it was on special that time?
The TIP or Throttle pipe?
Thats not fair, the Throttle pipe is just solid pipe, what a rip off.
Stompie
Boostleak Guru

Post by Stompie »

this is for the TIP, im not sure on pricing for the TB pipe, dont have it...
BMW 120D E87
SemiColon

Post by SemiColon »

TP is around R600
八拾六
Stompie
Boostleak Guru

Post by Stompie »

SemiColon wrote:TP is around R600
where? and probably not forge?
BMW 120D E87
MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Post by MeanTdi »

Fantastic write up!
Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
Smok3X
Captain

Post by Smok3X »

I am quite sure that the Throttle pipe wont ever collapse under boost... Thats impossible with a positive boost pressure! Someone explain if I am wrong please?

Lets think about this, if you blow into a super soft straw... blow really hard... will it ever collapse?

No never, if you block it off at one end, it could blow up like a balloon and pop, but not collapse.

It will collapse under suction, thats a negative boost pressure in a closed system. Block a straw at one end and suck... watch the collapse!

The throttle pipe could collapse "out of boost" IF the intake side was blocked somehow or severly restricted, as that is when you have a negative pressure in the manifold...and even then the engine would stall lol.

The "collapse" you refer to can only happin in the INTAKE pipe, thats the TIP peole refer to, especially if you have a blocked or dirty air filter in the stock airbox and are running high boost... thats when the Turbo is sucking against a restriction...and you MAY have a TIP collapse... otherwise I dont see a throttle pipe collapsing.
Current:
169WKW@Dark Artz - Stock

Ex:

ImageImageImage
SemiColon

Post by SemiColon »

PoloGTIman wrote:
SemiColon wrote:TP is around R600
where? and probably not forge?
At Revo, i cant remember the exact Price, but it was around the R600-R700 mark.
八拾六
Stompie
Boostleak Guru

Post by Stompie »

Smok3X wrote:
I am quite sure that the Throttle pipe wont ever collapse under boost... Thats impossible with a positive boost pressure! Someone explain if I am wrong please?

Lets think about this, if you blow into a super soft straw... blow really hard... will it ever collapse?

No never, if you block it off at one end, it could blow up like a balloon and pop, but not collapse.

It will collapse under suction, thats a negative boost pressure in a closed system. Block a straw at one end and suck... watch the collapse!

The throttle pipe could collapse "out of boost" IF the intake side was blocked somehow or severly restricted, as that is when you have a negative pressure in the manifold...and even then the engine would stall lol.

The "collapse" you refer to can only happin in the INTAKE pipe, thats the TIP peole refer to, especially if you have a blocked or dirty air filter in the stock airbox and are running high boost... thats when the Turbo is sucking against a restriction...and you MAY have a TIP collapse... otherwise I dont see a throttle pipe collapsing.
+1
BMW 120D E87
RPGTI
Cadet

Post by RPGTI »

The trottle pipe cost me R700 and the TIP R1675 from Yosh @ unitronic.
The trottle pipe wont collapse as thye have mentioned above but the TIP will for example the oem pipe is half rubber half metal the metal half is narrow and restrictive and the rubber part is thin and its easy to squash it.

The throttle pipe will just burst after time and it gets hot alot quicker from the engine bay heat as apposed to the silicone forge one.
Also if you see in the pic with the polo and golf tip next to each other the polo one is actually bigger in most parts less of a bottle neck I guess I highly doubt there will be power changes from both pipes if anything the polo one feels stronger.
'13 Flash Red Polo GTI
Ex.
'08 Flash Red Polo GTI
SemiColon

Post by SemiColon »

RPGTI wrote:The trottle pipe cost me R700 and the TIP R1675 from Yosh @ unitronic.
The trottle pipe wont collapse as thye have mentioned above but the TIP will for example the oem pipe is half rubber half metal the metal half is narrow and restrictive and the rubber part is thin and its easy to squash it.

The throttle pipe will just burst after time and it gets hot alot quicker from the engine bay heat as apposed to the silicone forge one.
Also if you see in the pic with the polo and golf tip next to each other the polo one is actually bigger in most parts less of a bottle neck I guess I highly doubt there will be power changes from both pipes if anything the polo one feels stronger.
Tests conducted on the Forge TIP on the Polo showed an increase of 10-15g/s flow vs. the Stock TIP.
-i just wish they also made TIP's that you can BOLT on to the turbo as i have lost faith in clamping it to the turbo....because mine popped off
八拾六
Stompie
Boostleak Guru

Post by Stompie »

when i had mine fitted at Gtek-lee, he said he puts a small amount of dish wash liquid to slip it on and then when it gets hot also acts a glue...maybe just take it to him and let him fit it, he charged me R200 to fit...

and i havent had any problems with mine coming off....
BMW 120D E87
RPGTI
Cadet

Post by RPGTI »

Depends on the clamp you could use a t bolt clamp if you want or just find a decent clamp and instead of tightening it with a flat or star use a socket then they will be very tight.In theory they shouldnt pop of as they getting sucked on the golf one i had on the clamp wasnt even that tight cause the piece at the bottom was a little short and every time i tightend it squashed the pipe off.
'13 Flash Red Polo GTI
Ex.
'08 Flash Red Polo GTI
SemiColon

Post by SemiColon »

RPGTI wrote:Depends on the clamp you could use a t bolt clamp if you want or just find a decent clamp and instead of tightening it with a flat or star use a socket then they will be very tight.In theory they shouldnt pop of as they getting sucked on the golf one i had on the clamp wasnt even that tight cause the piece at the bottom was a little short and every time i tightend it squashed the pipe off.
Yes, i'm also at a los at to how mine came off, it was tightend epicly and the edge of the TIP was longer than the previous Forge ons so there was enough space to clamp it in...
八拾六
jk
Captain

Post by jk »

Smok3X wrote:

Collapse/Expand - same same, my TP gets very hot and becomes soft, if you squeeze it it feels very weak.
Smok3X
Captain

Post by Smok3X »

What kind of sound does the 007DV make? if any?
Current:
169WKW@Dark Artz - Stock

Ex:

ImageImageImage
Stompie
Boostleak Guru

Post by Stompie »

Smok3X wrote:What kind of sound does the 007DV make? if any?
with a induction....it makes a loud whooooooosssshhhh sound
BMW 120D E87