Evilsheepclone47
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.6i
Membership No: missing

06 14i Citi Golf Temp increased & Struggling startups

Post by Evilsheepclone47 »

Okay so I've bought a replacement Thermostat which will be put in as soon I can get to my mechanic, BUTTTT there's more happening.

I've noticed that I struggle to start the car especially in the mornings. The car swings, the battery light comes (which is normal since I have the car), it starts and idle goes up to 1000rpm then drops dead. I do it again and accelerate slightly to allow the revs to go higher which also causes battery light to go off and the car idles. I use the car for work so my during the day use the start problem rarely happens.

My battery is new replaced in the 3rd quarter of 2011. When I purchased the car I originally had a problem where the car would not start and they replaced some sensor for me, it was done via the dealerships workshop so I'm unware of the details.

Does this problem relate to my thermostat?
Is it related to cold starting, i.e. Mass Airflow Meter?

If it doesn't rain it pours as they say.
Service with Front Brake Pads cost me R1 200 last month.
This month its Rear Brake Shoes, Thermostat, Car license and Traffic fine... hope the above is not serious.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Below is my original Question and above is me adding to it.

Hi everyone, I need some advice/help please.

My car's and 06 model 1400 injection, standard.
Normally no matter what the weather and type of driving, (bumper to bumper traffic or free flow traffice) the temperature gauge would always remain on the half way mark.

The car has recently been serviced, I've check oil and water all is 100% fine.

From yesterday onwards I've found that the temperature gauge now moves to 3/4 and then the fan comes on. Verified this this morning it isn't even hot yet. Fan comes on the temp decreases back to 1/2 but its a bit scary. Its as though the fan is now being triggered at the wrong temp.

Now I drive with my eye on the temp gauge constantly.

Is this a sign of something damaged/faulty?
Should I be replacing something due to wear and tear?

Appreciate the help.
Last edited by Evilsheepclone47 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: 06 14i Citi Golf Temp increased

Post by panic-mechanic »

Thermostat on the way out. It sits under the water pump. Black plastic housing held in with 2 bolts.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Evilsheepclone47
Cadet

Eish stoopid question,
replacing of the thermostat means I've got to let the water out, right? or flush the radiator? and must be done when the car is cold?

Thanks for the reply.
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Membership No: 1041

Post by UDC »

yes you have to drain the water out first, then open the two bolts and more water will come out that the thermostat has held back, so ya rather do it when its cold
Evilsheepclone47
Cadet

Re: 06 14i Citi Golf Temp increased & Struggling startups

Been doing some digging and research and think my issue is the 4-pin ECT or Temp Sensor, R384.44 excl Vat @ Barons Culemborg.
Faulty Temp Sensor might be giving me the incorrect temp readings on the dash as well as cold start problems.

Going to check out whether the thermostat is busted though just for interest sake.
Evilsheepclone47
Cadet

14i Citi Golf Temp increased & Struggling startup PROBLEM SO

To update.

Lots of Googling and I was sure my problem was this Temperature Sensor. Took the car to my mechanic and checked the car with diagnostic software and found that the temperature is giving an extra 50degrees on the heat reading. This makes sense that when I'm cold start the computer thinks the car is at normal operating temperature she it gives too little petrol on start up.

Shopped around for a replacement temp sensor, Brans/VW the price range from R490 to R380 (Various branches gave me different prices, I didn't question it). Goldwagen and Big Boys Toys Surrey Estate came to under R100.

I took the sensor out myself and checked and found the unit is a closed electrical component so I was stuck with a decision, original VW part or after market cheapie.

Went to Kenilworth VW, was given the price R480, I moan a bit at the counter and the price became R380 + R10 for the O-ring. Fitted the part after letting the car cool down and it works. Not the thermostat at all.
Torker
General
Registered for: 18 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf GT
Membership No: 1464

Post by Torker »

Normally the sender fails the other way, giving too low a temp reading causing overfueling, happened in my Velo.
Current rides:

VW Golf - 83 GT 2.1 16V 2-door with throttles
VW Golf - 78 LS 2.0 8V 4-door (2.1 ABF with throttles in progress)
VW Golf - '08 Citi Storm - 1.4 for now
Hyundai - 1.4 Getz (daily)
ahmedy
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 4 months
Car Model: vELOCITI

Post by ahmedy »

would it be possible for you guys to post up a pic of this item or where its located. reason i ask is because my velo is getting crap fuel economy with no heavy foot action and honestly no mods. for a 1.4 i get around 10kms or less to the litre. i apologies for the hijack but this fuel is killing my pockets
[img]castrol_signature.jpg[/img]
Torker
General
Registered for: 18 years
Car Model: Golf GT
Membership No: 1464

Post by Torker »

ahmedy wrote:would it be possible for you guys to post up a pic of this item or where its located. reason i ask is because my velo is getting crap fuel economy with no heavy foot action and honestly no mods. for a 1.4 i get around 10kms or less to the litre. i apologies for the hijack but this fuel is killing my pockets
It is the sender with the plug visible behind the spark plug wires where the top radiator hose goes into the head.

Current rides:

VW Golf - 83 GT 2.1 16V 2-door with throttles
VW Golf - 78 LS 2.0 8V 4-door (2.1 ABF with throttles in progress)
VW Golf - '08 Citi Storm - 1.4 for now
Hyundai - 1.4 Getz (daily)
ahmedy
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 4 months
Car Model: vELOCITI

Post by ahmedy »

Thanks Torker, you are always most helpful and always show pics. I really hope i find out why my car is so heavy on fuel. i drive worse than a granny and still get crap millage
[img]castrol_signature.jpg[/img]