63mm Exhaust on 1.8 20VT A4

Bandit
Cadet
Registered for: 21 years 5 months

63mm Exhaust on 1.8 20VT A4

Post by Bandit »

Yesterday I had a 63mm Exhaust fitted to my A4 and I am impressed wit the performance, sound and look of it.
One thing that I did notice driving to work this morning was that my cars water temp was sitting at +- 65 deg C. Normally this would be right in the middle at 90deg. As I got into town again(stop start driving) the water temp went back to 90deg. It was just interresting to see such a big difference between highway driving and town driving. Could it be that something is wrong somewhere or is it just because the turbo can dissapate heat better thus the motor is running colder?

PS I drive 47km of highway to get to where I work and this morning I was crusing at the speed limit, thats not always the case.

Jean
Land Rover Defender 90 2.8
2.8 BMW M52
165KW 380MN
325i Intake
Custom Exhaust by Powerflow, Thanks Roddy
greggpb
Cadet
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Re: 63mm Exhaust on 1.8 20VT A4

Post by greggpb »

Bandit wrote:Yesterday I had a 63mm Exhaust fitted to my A4 and I am impressed wit the performance, sound and look of it.
One thing that I did notice driving to work this morning was that my cars water temp was sitting at +- 65 deg C. Normally this would be right in the middle at 90deg. As I got into town again(stop start driving) the water temp went back to 90deg. It was just interresting to see such a big difference between highway driving and town driving. Could it be that something is wrong somewhere or is it just because the turbo can dissapate heat better thus the motor is running colder?

PS I drive 47km of highway to get to where I work and this morning I was crusing at the speed limit, thats not always the case.

What happens is the CAT causes alot of back pressure and heat... thefore with the more free exhaust and no cat the gasses flow smoother and there is not restrinction and minimal heat buildup..... underbonnet temps shpuld be genrally lower....

its amasing what a diff the exhaust makes on these cars..
2006 Golf GTI MKV - (Stock)
Ex: 2002 A3 1.8T AUM - (Revo Stg 2, 4Bar FPR, Eibach Pro-kit, Bailey DV30, 63mm Turbo Back, Water injection, VR6 Clutch, BoostValve anti spike)
Bandit
Cadet

Post by Bandit »

Yeah, I reconed that, but what I forgot to mention is that I removed the CAT about a year ago and even without the CAT if I drove it hard on open road the temp still stayed on 90deg. I would drive it from Durbanville to Panorama and by the time I get home and I open the bonnet the entire turbo, manafold and half of the downpipe is so hot that its glowing white. Cool sigaret lighter party trick :lol:

Jean
2.8 BMW M52
165KW 380MN
325i Intake
greggpb
Cadet

Post by greggpb »

Bandit wrote:Yeah, I reconed that, but what I forgot to mention is that I removed the CAT about a year ago and even without the CAT if I drove it hard on open road the temp still stayed on 90deg. I would drive it from Durbanville to Panorama and by the time I get home and I open the bonnet the entire turbo, manafold and half of the downpipe is so hot that its glowing white. Cool sigaret lighter party trick :lol:

hectic.... and probally case of the better flow where was the car done... we should have a benchmarks sometime caus ei live near enought to panarama

ps love the ciggy trick... :D :D :D
Ex: 2002 A3 1.8T AUM - (Revo Stg 2, 4Bar FPR, Eibach Pro-kit, Bailey DV30, 63mm Turbo Back, Water injection, VR6 Clutch, BoostValve anti spike)
Bandit
Cadet

Post by Bandit »

Roddy at Powerflow Belleville did the exhaust for me, it was gonna take 2 days to do, but he managed to get the car done in one day.

Jean
2.8 BMW M52
165KW 380MN
325i Intake
JaMMeX
Captain
Registered for: 21 years 8 months

Post by JaMMeX »

YEAH! you to should have a run against each other...

Bruce
Bruce Carlstein
Ferroli Motorsport
Membership No#: CT556
Western Cape REVO Slutt

Ex Rides:
1989 MK II 1800 16V Turbo- 165kw | 310nm @ 0.5 bar
2000 MKIV GTi - GT28RS Turbo- 223kw | 360nm @ 1bar
greggpb
Cadet

Post by greggpb »

Could you guestimate the cost for me ??
Bandit
Cadet

Post by Bandit »

greggpb wrote:Could you guestimate the cost for me ??
Best would be to phone Roddy and ask him to quote you.
Should be round about 3K for the exhaust.

Powerflow Bellevile
Tel: 021 9307717

Jean
2.8 BMW M52
165KW 380MN
325i Intake
GTiDon
Brigadier
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 1161

Post by GTiDon »

Back pressure makes a huge difference to the turbo. It spools up much easier without backpressure.

My boost went from .5 bar boost to 1 bar, just by changing to a bigger exhaust, then I had to set the wastegate down again
GTI_man
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by GTI_man »

gtidon wrote:Back pressure makes a huge difference to the turbo. It spools up much easier without backpressure.

My boost went from .5 bar boost to 1 bar, just by changing to a bigger exhaust, then I had to set the wastegate down again
So then its true that the less back pressure you have on a turbo car the better?
Wat about a 2.0l 16V supercharged motor?I hear a 63ml with two small silencers would be best?I actuallu have a dbl exhaust...off the mani its one silencer(its stil one exhaust tube,then one by each end (above the tail pieces)Heres sum pix if u not sure wat i mean :wink:
http://uberracing.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Current:
Mk4 GTI
---63mm ss exhaust and DP (decat)

EX's:
MK1 2door
---2.0 8V (2E)---736 kg's---102.6bhp atw's(K.A.R.)
94 chico 1300
89 1600 citi sport-slightly modded.

cj2@remgro.com
082 492 3139
GTiDon
Brigadier

Post by GTiDon »

Better flow always = more performance. Wont make a supercharger boost more though, but will flow better.

More air = more power.

1 con with big exhaust is slightly difficult starting and idling because back pressure can increase compression in the cylinders

Turbo/Charger = more air = more power
free flow, branch, porting, bigger cam ect = more air = more power
NOS = more air (all it does is freezes it and makes more oxygen in less volume) = more air = power. NOS does not burn! is just cools down the air
Bandit
Cadet

Post by Bandit »

is just cools down the air
Wrong, NOs, enriches the oxigen level in the cylinder thus you can add more fuel thus making more power. The only application that I know of for cooling purposes is when you add a halo NOS kit for a intercooler. When you spray the NOS it cools down the intercooler.

Jean
2.8 BMW M52
165KW 380MN
325i Intake
GTiDon
Brigadier

Post by GTiDon »

Bandit wrote:
Wrong, NOs, enriches the oxigen level in the cylinder thus you can add more fuel thus making more power. The only application that I know of for cooling purposes is when you add a halo NOS kit for a intercooler. When you spray the NOS it cools down the intercooler.

It enriches oxygen in the cylinder BECAUSE the cooled air uses less volume and therefore more oxygen fits in the same amount of space. RIGHT!
.. or maybe,, nevermind
Bandit
Cadet

Post by Bandit »

gtidon wrote:
Bandit wrote:
Wrong, NOs, enriches the oxygen level in the cylinder thus you can add more fuel thus making more power. The only application that I know of for cooling purposes is when you add a halo NOS kit for a intercooler. When you spray the NOS it cools down the intercooler.

It enriches oxygen in the cylinder BECAUSE the cooled air uses less volume and therefore more oxygen fits in the same amount of space. RIGHT!
.. or maybe,, nevermind
Not quite, NOS has more oxygen per volume than normal atmosphere, that is how power is made.

Jean
2.8 BMW M52
165KW 380MN
325i Intake
GTiDon
Brigadier

Post by GTiDon »

Bandit wrote:
gtidon wrote:
Bandit wrote:
Wrong, NOs, enriches the oxygen level in the cylinder thus you can add more fuel thus making more power. The only application that I know of for cooling purposes is when you add a halo NOS kit for a intercooler. When you spray the NOS it cools down the intercooler.

.. or maybe,, nevermind
Not quite, NOS has more oxygen per volume than normal atmosphere, that is how power is made.
Sorry, if so then I am wrong. But my knowledge of it differs
GTiDon
Brigadier

Post by GTiDon »

Here is an extract I found.. we both right

N02 is made up of 1 part Nitrogen for every 2 Oxygen. That means that for a certain volume, there is a far greater amount of oxygen to combust with the gasoline than just regular air. This means that more combustion chamber pressure and temperature can be created for a given volume of intake charge and therefore it makes much more power.
Also, as N02 vaporizes in the intake tract, it cools from the extreme expansion of becoming a gas from a liquid. This has an added bonus of greatly reducing the intake charge temp which makes it more dense, which also produces added power.