Cross Polo 1.6 tdi: Very heavy consumption!!!!! Please help!

Reedj
Enlisted
Registered for: 12 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2011 Cross Polo 1.6 TDi
Membership No: missing

Post by Reedj »

I brought a brand new Cross Polo 1.6 tdi in October with only 11 km on the clock. Its got just over 6000 km on it now, and it's still very heavy on diesel :bang: . Definitely not what I expected nor close to the figures that it should give.

According to VW it should give between 3.7 and 5.5 l/100km (urban and highway respectively) and approx. 4.6 l/100km combined. I know this is just estimates and that no car ever gives the figures stipulated as by the manufacturer. But still I don't even come close. If I'm lucky I get 6.3 l/100km on the open road @ 124 km/h (set on cruise control for optimum consumption), and in the city I get about 7.8 l/100km. This is almost the same consumption I got with my petrol Opel Astra 1.8 Sport (which I had a heavy foot with). With the Polo I drive it as nice as I can to see what the best fuel economy I can get, also not pushing the revs higher than 2500 - 3000 rpm. And 3/4 of the km's I've done is on the open road long distance km's for my work, which is the "better" km's for a car.

I spoke to some people who also brought diesel cars brand new, and they told me only after the first service (15 000km) they got the consumption they wanted. And they told me that the dealership only sets the consumption correctly then, because of the engine that needs to be run in for the first 15 000 km. Is this true? I spoke to the sales lady at VW about this and she told me that it is true. But it still bothered me so I phoned someone at the service department at VW. The guy told me that the car should give the consumption close to the figures right from the start, because of the electronics and computers that set itself to the optimum consumption. And that this 15 000 km run-in story isn't true.

Did anyone experience the same problems with a new diesel car? Or does anyone have an opinion as what might be wrong or if that sorry is true for the first 15 000km?

Regards

Ree :???:
MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Re: Cross Polo 1.6 tdi: Very heavy consumption!!!!! Please h

Post by MeanTdi »

Hey Ree,

Welcome.
Reedj wrote:I brought a brand new Cross Polo 1.6 tdi in October with only 11 km on the clock. Its got just over 6000 km on it now...
The engine may still be a bit tight. My consumption started to improve after 10 000klm's...
Reedj wrote: ...If I'm lucky I get 6.3 l/100km on the open road @ 124 km/h (set on cruise control for optimum consumption), and in the city I get about 7.8 l/100km. This is almost the same consumption I got with my petrol Opel Astra 1.8 Sport (which I had a heavy foot with). With the Polo I drive it as nice as I can to see what the best fuel economy I can get, also not pushing the revs higher than 2500 - 3000 rpm. And 3/4 of the km's I've done is on the open road long distance km's for my work, which is the "better" km's for a car.
ALL depends on the driver and conditions, but city driving sounds about right and the open road can improve a bit. I get about 4.8klm/L down to Durban, so you need to take a long drive to get the real average.

What size rims do you have on the car? Any other mods or additions eg roof rack/carrier?
Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

The story about the first 15000km is ****!

It is very hard to gauge this kind of thing but your consumption sounds too high. Even my Altea gives better figures and that is not known for its frugalty.

Are you not also the guy that had smoking issues?

BTW on a roundtrip from Rivonia to Randpark Ridge to Benoni and the same pattern back my Polo returned 4.2l/100km and that was done at 120 all the way.

Where are you located?
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
Sinbad
Post Whore
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Car Make: Mercedes
Car Model: R170 AMG Hairdryer
Membership No: 1152

Post by Sinbad »

VGTI your polo is not normal remember ;)

Check tyre pressures too.

katotter wrote:Geezus, I wanna be his girfriend.
VGTI
Major

Post by VGTI »

Sinbad wrote:VGTI your polo is not normal remember ;)

Check tyre pressures too.
I have said it before and I'll say it again... Bring me any TDI and I'll get you very good figures!! If Reedj wants to me to give it a once over and take it for a 80km round trip I'll tell him if his Polo has a problem or not.

The wheels on the Cross are a bit heavier but that should not cause him to use more than 5.0 on the highway at 120
Reedj
Enlisted

Post by Reedj »

@MeanTdi:
Thanx!

Did the consumption improve by itself? i drive quite a lot to Camden power station from Pretoria, thats about 300km one way on the highway, and still get that high consumption. It's the standard Cross Polo specs, 17" wheels and standard roof rails (but no racks).

@VGTI:
I thought that that story didn't make any sense. Smoking issues? :razz: haha no I'm not that guy.. Thats very good consumption!! If I can get 5 l/100km or less on the open road I'll be happy. City driving I would also expect at least 7 or less.

BTW one of my colleagues drives a BMW 330d, and that guy doesn't no the meaning of economical driving (with that power that word will not exist with me either!!) and he gets between 6 and 7.6 l/100km. So I would presume with a small 1.6 tdi engine I should get much less!

I'm located in Centurion.

@Sinbad:
Tyres are filled with Nytrogen gas @ 2.2 bar.
Sinbad
Post Whore
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Car Make: Mercedes
Car Model: R170 AMG Hairdryer
Membership No: 1152

Post by Sinbad »

Bear in mind in the hot weather with aircon on you may see a big increase in consumption. Mine used to vary from 4l to 6.5l per hundred on the same trip dependent on outside temp.

katotter wrote:Geezus, I wanna be his girfriend.
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Reedj wrote:@MeanTdi:
Thanx!

Did the consumption improve by itself? i drive quite a lot to Camden power station from Pretoria, thats about 300km one way on the highway, and still get that high consumption. It's the standard Cross Polo specs, 17" wheels and standard roof rails (but no racks).
Consumption improved by itself around 10 000klm's. I also have 17 inch rims. That still seems odd for that much highway driving BUT again all dependant on how you drive. You should get around 5L/100 - try reset the onboard computer as it will average out with the town driving. I never use aircon.
Reedj wrote: @Sinbad:
Tyres are filled with Nytrogen gas @ 2.2 bar.
I was going to ask the tyre pressure, which we now know. That seems ok. I use 2.5 bar in front.
Marco

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
Reedj
Enlisted

Post by Reedj »

@VGTI:
I'm taking my car to VW on Saturday to check of they can find anything wrong. If there's nothing wrong I will definitely take you up on your offer.

@Sinbad:
I also try to keep my aircon usage to a minimum to see if that will improve the consumption, but it doesn't.

@MeanTdi:
Did it improve drastically? It's still strange. Maybe because the engine wasn't that stiff anymore? With today's technology I would think the cars should give close to the real figures from the start.

I hope that it can be sorted asap because with the new diesel price and the consumption I'm currently getting I'm going to k@k this December driving down to Cape Town. But on the other hand the long trip is maybe what the car needs..
VGTI
Major

Post by VGTI »

Reedj wrote:@VGTI:
I'm taking my car to VW on Saturday to check of they can find anything wrong. If there's nothing wrong I will definitely take you up on your offer.
Anytime next week!

Edit to add: the enjin in your car is the same as used in the Golfs that they used to drive all the way from the Zim border to Capetown on one(slightly modified) tank. Anyway it returned figures of around 3.4l/100, so you should easily achieve at least 5 on the highway around 120kph.

Also I have had 3 diesels now and they were on the button from the first km, the Polo has gotten much better with its milage but it was never bad, Even with the wife in it's early days it managed 5.5 around town.

Which VW are you taking it to?
OEM+
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 4 months
Car Model: MK2 GTi

Post by OEM+ »

I don't think you are going to get too close to the claimed figures with the cross, wheels are bigger, sits higher and it's probably a little heavier.
Just got back from a trip on the weekend and averaged 5l/100kms at 110km/h average which I was pretty happy with. To be honest I bought the car for its economy so it rarely sees the other side of 2500/3000 revs. You can drive around shifting at like 2000 and there is still enough torque. I think the new 1.6 develops max torque 250nm between 1500 and 2500 anyway.

What I have found is that drivers of petrol cars do need to adjust their driving style for a TDi to get the benefits. The SO drives a mini cooper normally which needs a bit of revs normally. If you drive the polo in the same way the consumption is anywhere from 0.5l/100 to 1l/100 more...
1991 MkII GTI 16V http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... 11&t=95318
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4
2014 PW Golf Highline DSG TDi Xenon&LED pack, Pano Roof, Nav, RearView Assist, Park Assist, Climate Control
2016 Audi RS3
2020 Tiguan Highline TSI
2013 Land Rover Defender 90
Le Clue
Field Marshal
Registered for: 14 years 6 months
Car Model: Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Membership No: 1458

Post by Le Clue »

I have found that using the cruise control makes the car heavier on fuel.
Previous Rides:
2016 VW Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
2011 VW Golf Mk6 R
2007 VW Golf Mk5 GTI
2013 VW Polo 6R GTI
2011 VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
2010 VW Golf Mk6 GTI
2007 VW Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
2009 VW CitiRox 1.6i
Reedj
Enlisted

Post by Reedj »

@VGTI:
That's brilliant consumption!!! And the Golf is even heavier than the Polo. If I can come close to the 5.0 mark on the highway I'll be happy, less than that would be a bonus. And around town less than 6. i'm taking it to Hatfield VW in Pretoria where I bought it. They are probably only going to connect the computer and see whether any errors show. I wondered about faulty injectors? Because the computer won't pick that up. Only things like the mixtures etc..

OEM+:
I also brought the tdi for fuel economy. With my Astra I realized that petrol can't be an option anymore. I gave away the speed and high revs (even driven hard still gave better consumption than the tdi Polo) for something as economical as possible because of the distances I drive for work. You are correct with the torque figures and revs, that is why I also try to keep the revs lower than 2500 rpm, to see if it will improve. But so far no improvement.

Le Clue:
I would think it should improve it rather than make it heavier. Because of the constant speed the engine is running, and the foot not need to push the pedal more than is necessary to keep the speed constant for uphills. but I will try that as well, see if it will make a difference. Thanx!
OEM+
Cadet

Post by OEM+ »

Cruise control always uses more fuel every time I tested it... regulate with your foot rather ;) To work and back I average about 5.8l/100 and open around 5.. Never as good as VGTI.... :(
2014 PW Golf Highline DSG TDi Xenon&LED pack, Pano Roof, Nav, RearView Assist, Park Assist, Climate Control
2016 Audi RS3
2020 Tiguan Highline TSI
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Reedj wrote:@MeanTdi:
Did it improve drastically? It's still strange. Maybe because the engine wasn't that stiff anymore? With today's technology I would think the cars should give close to the real figures from the start.
It improved slightly but noticeably.

Have a read here (in miles: 1 mile = 1.609344 kilometers):

TDI Break-in Procedure - Rules that apply for the life of the car

-When the engine is cold (below the first 3 white marks at the base of the temp gage) rev the engine to at least 2,500 rpms.
-When the engine is warmed up (above the first three white marks) Rev the engine to no less than 3,000 rpms.
The reason for this is to keep the turbo on boost, clear the VNT guide vanes and apply firm pressure to the rings for optimal sealing against blow-by gasses. The rings need the boost to seal since its a turbo charged engine, babying the engine is detrimental and will lead to issues with compression if done so for very long.

First 1,000 miles
Keep rpms below 3,800. Avoid steady rpms. Frequent firm application of power is strongly recomended up to 3,800 rpm. Avoid the use of cruise control so that you naturally fluctuate the power with your foot.

1,000-5,000 miles
Use the full 5,100 rpm power range. Avoid steady rpms. Avoid the use of cruise control. Frequent application of full throttle is recomended to help seat the rings. City driving is ideal for breaking in a TDI due to frequent stops and acceleration. Once you get to 5,000 miles change the oil and perform your first service per the manual

5,000-10,000 miles
Use of the cruise control is ok at this point since most of the initial break in has occured. Continue to use occasional full throttle accelerations to continue to seat the rings. You will notice the engine become slightly louder during this phase due to less friction from the engine breaking in (normal for a diesel to become louder under lighter loads). If your going on a long drive and you are using the cruise, every so often step on the peddle to accelerate up about 20 mph then coast back down to your preset speed.

10,000-60,000 miles
This is when the rest of the break in occurs. The engine from the factory will check out with about 475psi of compression pressure out of the crate. It will take at least 60,000 miles to reach the peak pressure of 550psi. For the most part once you get to 10,000 miles your compression will be around 510psi meaning that most of the break in has occured.

>60,000 miles - the life of the motor
The engines I have seen so far using a 5w40 oil are maintaining 550 psi of compression pressure with over 200,000 miles on the odometer. The owners have followed the advice above and do not have any oil consumption issues. This also means that with the higher pressure the engine is more efficient returning optimal fuel economy and reduced smoke output.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=464223
Marco

jtm
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by jtm »

Reedj

My tdi sportline has been averaging around 5.2l/100km since new, consistently. It is now on 174,500km's.

I can get it down to 3.2l/100km if i drive under 100and hardly boost it when there is no traffic on a 30km distance home from work.

Driving insanely on longer distances has never yielded more then around 6.5l/100km.

There definitely is something wrong with your car, i would say.
VW MK7 GTI DSG. White.
MB C200 Avantgarde A. Palladium Silver.

Ex's
2006Mk5 Jetta 2.0 TFSI DSG. Silver
2002Mk4 Gti. Silver
2008 MB C180k Avantgarde A. Silver
2011 6R Polo Gti. Silver.
2005 9N TDI Sportline. White
2001 MK4 GTI. Black. Sunroof.
1996 MK3 GTI. White. S3 wheels.
2000 MK4 2.0 Highline.GTI Wheels.
1991 MK2 GTI. White. (Best car owned ever)
1991 MK1 CTI. White. Momo EVO1's
Reedj
Enlisted

Post by Reedj »

@MeanTdi:
Thanx for the info.

@jtm:
That's very good consumption for the km's!! I would also think that with the smaller engine (1.6 tdi) I would get better consumption than the previous 1.9 tdi's, especially the 1.9 sportline with the extra power. I really hope that they pick up something (fixable!!!) on Saturday when they connect the computer, otherwise I'll be all out of ammo on things that might be wrong..
pjjdp
Cadet
Registered for: 19 years 11 months
Car Model: Golf MKVII TSi

Post by pjjdp »

If I drive civilized and just follow the traffic from Waterfall to Durban citi center(In peak traffic), I can get it as low as 3.8L/100km.

Mine is a 2004 A3 2.0 TDi with 196000km on the clock.
Current :2014 - VW Golf 7 1.4TSi Comfortline

EX's
2009 - VW Golf 6 1.4TSi Comfortline
2006 - Audi A4 1.8T 1997 - VW Golf 3 GTS 1991 - VW Golf CTi
1997 - VW Golf Chico 1.6 1996 - VW Golf 3 GS 2004 - VW Golf 5 1.6 Comfortline
1997 - Isuzu 280DT LWB 1997 - Ford Bantam 1.3 1992 - Mazda 323 2.0I 16v
2003 - BMW 318I E46 1989 - Ford Sapphire 1.6 GL 1989 - Ford Sapphire 3.0 GLX
1976 - Audi 80 GLS
OEM+
Cadet

Post by OEM+ »

Ja but peak hour traffic in Durban is like sunday traffic in Joburg. :D
2016 Audi RS3
2020 Tiguan Highline TSI
VGTI
Major

Post by VGTI »

pjjdp wrote:If I drive civilized and just follow the traffic from Waterfall to Durban citi center(In peak traffic), I can get it as low as 3.8L/100km.

Mine is a 2004 A3 2.0 TDi with 196000km on the clock.
Best I ever got:

after traveling

jtm
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by jtm »

@Reedj

I think the sportline may get sllghtly better consumption as it is six speed. Yours is five speed, right?

@ vgti

2.6 km over 54km. That's special :-)
VW MK7 GTI DSG. White.

Ex's
2002Mk4 Gti. Silver
jtm
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by jtm »

Vgti, why is the engine light on. You using bio-diesel :cry:
VW MK7 GTI DSG. White.

Ex's
2002Mk4 Gti. Silver
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

jtm wrote:Vgti, why is the engine light on. You using bio-diesel :cry:
Power steering light.
Marco

jtm
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by jtm »

Got 3.0l/100km over 31km on the way home from work now.

Maybe in cooler temps and no traffic it can come down a bit.

Will give it a shot one day.

Sorry for thread hijack :wink:
VW MK7 GTI DSG. White.

Ex's
2002Mk4 Gti. Silver
Reedj
Enlisted

Post by Reedj »

@jtm:
Yes you're right, I've got a five speed. That sixth gear does make a huge difference on the consumption!!
That's just crazy!! I don't even think my car's computer can go that low :) What was your'e avg. speed to get the 3.0 yesterday? And to what revs do you push your gears?

@VGTI:
Was the 2.6 you got with cruise control? I see the light was on. And @ 80km/h the whole trip? I presume you also have a sixth gear as when i'm driving @ 80 km/h my revs are a bit higher..

Yesterday I drove like an old oom home from work, keeping my revs below 2000 rpm and not going faster than 60- 70 km/h and avg about 6.3 l/100km. This frustrates the sh** out of me! :).. When I drive like I'm driving on eggs or got this huge red "L" in my window I'd expect to get more km/l..